SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Apple Software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Apple Software Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Does anybody have a copy of Snow Leopard SERVER that is available for sale?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
best i can do is lion server

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1566 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Available on ebay but a bit over $ 100 /
best .

Posts: 133 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I would check with a shop that repair services apple they may install a copy for less than purchase price (NOT an Apple Store)

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be your lucky day. I'll check when I get home from work tonite if I have it in my archives (back of the shelf under the zip drives)

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have a physical Snow Leopard DVD, but it's not server. Frown Sorry.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I can’t help you.

But I’ll comment that I have my admin account set up to show that awesome snow leopard photo when I login. I ought to post it in the “Enough with the cat pictures” thread.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9478 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Reason I need this: I have a couple of apps that will not run on anything later (newer) than Snow Leopard -- they require Rosetta, which was dropped after Snow Leopard. That rules out Lion, but thanks anyway, Creslin.

I need a more current OS than Snow Leopard for most of my requirements -- I'm using El Capitan.

I have a Snow Leopard install DVD, I though I could run it in a Virtual Machine for the couple of apps that need Snow Leopard, but the client version of Snow Leopard can not run in a VM. The server version does run in a VM. Hence, the need for the server version.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Leopard Server (10.5) 10 client version. If you want, I could make a bootable USB install over the weekend. Email in my profile

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
I have Leopard Server (10.5) 10 client version. If you want, I could make a bootable USB install over the weekend. Email in my profile
Thank you. You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

VMWare Fusion made a change in version 4.1 which allowed virtualization of Snow Leopard retail version (using your SL DVD to install). They got called out by Apple regarding the EULA, and subsequently changed Fusion to comply, so now it only runs Snow Leopard Server.

You can still download Fusion 4.1.4 from VMWare. I don't know if the .1.4 point update version will run the retail version (vs. just plain 4.1), but it's worth a shot (a free shot).

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

VMWare Fusion made a change in version 4.1 which allowed virtualization of Snow Leopard retail version (using your SL DVD to install). They got called out by Apple regarding the EULA, and subsequently changed Fusion to comply, so now it only runs Snow Leopard Server.

You can still download Fusion 4.1.4 from VMWare. I don't know if the .1.4 point update version will run the retail version (vs. just plain 4.1), but it's worth a shot (a free shot).
I'll give that a try and see if it works for me. Does version 4.x of VMware Fusion play nicely when hosted by El Capitan?

Is there ANY question for which the answer can not be found here on SIGforum?

I am reminded of a weekly segment on "Click and Clack" -- the segment called "Stump the Chump."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'll give that a try and see if it works for me. Does version 4.x of VMware Fusion play nicely when hosted by El Capitan?

The only way I could answer that would be to try it. I do still have an El Capitan VM, but I'll leave it to you to give it a try.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just remoted into my VMware and it looks like you are allowed to create a volume going back to 10.5 Not sure that it would let you install the OS but it appears that it can from here

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The only way I could answer that would be to try it. I do still have an El Capitan VM, but I'll leave it to you to give it a try.
I found a copy of VMware Fusion 4.1.4 that I have. Tried to run it, no joy. It will not run on El Capitan. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Have you tried VirtualBox?

Posts: 2561 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
Have you tried VirtualBox?
Not yet. However, I do not think that Snow Leopard (client) will run in any virtualizer that can be hosted in El Capitan.

Jim Theo has offered a copy of Leopard Server; that might run in Fusion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I searched through several abandonware sites I've found, but no luck.

Ebay has several, though.
Ebay search results.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, I do not think that Snow Leopard (client) will run in any virtualizer that can be hosted in El Capitan.

Apple's EULA forbids virtualizing SL client, but they permit it for the server version. This why VMWare Fusion was forced to abandon it when they introduced a version (4.x) that would create a VM of the client.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
However, I do not think that Snow Leopard (client) will run in any virtualizer that can be hosted in El Capitan.

Apple's EULA forbids virtualizing SL client, but they permit it for the server version. This why VMWare Fusion was forced to abandon it when they introduced a version (4.x) that would create a VM of the client.

Right. This is why I am looking for a copy of Snow Leopard Server.

Apple was selling them for $19.99, but that deal does not seem to be available any more.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים