SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical wiring in shed, need help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical wiring in shed, need help Login/Join 
posted
I have power (12-2 line) running to my shed but have no clue how do to the wiring.

I want to install 3 lights and one outlet.

Each light will have its own switch. Two are exterior lights and one is interior. The outlet is interior. I would like a 3 gang for the switches.

I have searched on line but cannot find a diagram I can understand and is similar to my set up.

Can someone hold my hand and walk me through? Thanks

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be that guy. Find a local sparky and hire him to help you out. Don't use the full page ad guys. Check nextdoor.com for a recommendation or two.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Depending on where the outlet is in relation to the light switches/lights and where the wire comes in would likely decide the routing of the wire.

I assume this is on a 20 amp breaker so all the wiring is going to have to be 12 gauge.

One simple solution is to bring the wire to the outlet first. Wire the outlet and then bring the wire up to the 3 gang box for the switches. Use wire nuts and pigtail to the outlet and continue the run tot he switch box.

At the 3 gang switch box, wire all the whites together and shove into the back of the box. The hot black wire should be wire nutted with 3 short pigtails. Each pigtail will go the bottom screw on each switch. The top of each switch will have the black wire that comes from each light. One switch/wire for each light. All the grounds get twisted together with a line running to each ground on each switch.

If your using a metal box make sure to ground to that also.

There are some other ways to do this but without knowing the layout this is one simple solution.

Make sure you turn off the breaker before working on this.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, get local hands on help. Look a little longer if you have to, and find someone who is willing to teach you. It isn’t that complicated, but there are a lot of little questions, it ought to be done to code, and you definitely want it safe.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why does he need to hire somebody? It’s a simple job. Follow Comet24’s instructions. Don’t forget to use a crimp on your grounds.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Probably 10 years ago I bought a book at Lowe’s on home wiring. I read it and wired my pool shed with 4 outlets and 3 lights. Still works great to this day and passed the electric inspection.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with sandman, hire a professional. IT's super easy but you spend too much energy and effort to get it down.

Since you don't sleep in your shed (I guess until you piss off your wife enough) it doesn't matter if it burns to the ground. If you really want to do it. It is easy.

You will first need to make sure the line to shed is GFI protected.

Second you will need to get that line into your 3G box or your 1G box for the outlet, which ever is closer. Run jumper wire between 3G and 1G boxes. Next run from the 3G your three switch legs, one to inside and two to outside. On inside you will need to install a 8-B box for the light or a 1G box if you are going to use something like a shop light. For the exterior boxes you will need RS Boxes/Round Bell boxes or Arlington 8081 depending on siding materials and lights selected.

Now that you have your boxes installed, switch legs ran you will need to tie everything in. I am going to assume you run to outlet first. For the outlet research how to pigtail grounds or how use a crimp sleeve to join the grounds, then strip blk/wht conductors and use screw terminals on outlet, blk = brass, wht = silver screws. Screw outlet into box and install cover.

For the three gang you will have four total cables and 12 wires. First pigtail or use crimp sleeve to join all four grounds, if you use a crimp sleeve leave 1' or more of wire at box for each run as you need extra length to twist the wires together and tuck into back of box. Next you will tie all four whites together and get a good twist on your wires. Next you will need three hots to power your three switch legs, pigtail three 1' sections of black wire into the feed wire and once again make sure you have a good twist on the spice. At this point the grounds should be pushed into the back of the box with one for each switch. Whites in back of box. The black spice will be pushed into the back of the box with one lead going to each switch location along with the switch leg and ground. Hook grounds up to green screw on switches and the two blacks will go on either screw, it doesn't matter which order. Screw switches to box and install cover.

Install you exterior boxes or siding blocks. If you use a box, ground the box and hook up blk/blk, wht/wht, green/bare. Caulk the top and sides of fixture leaving bottom unsealed as it doesn't rain up and if you do get water in you want a way out.

Pour ice cold beer in cup stand back and enjoy or curse your work depending on how it goes.

Hopefully I have typed enough for you do decide to hire someone. If not I gave you all the keywords you'll need to search for on youtube.

ETA Comet beat me to it, wife distracted me while typing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I looked for videos, most are shit and I would fire the people doing the work on day one. This is the best one I could find, except his splices are not the best. When you splice wires you don't add them one at a time you splice all 3 or 4 together at the same times. He elected to pigtail the grounds. I prefer to use crimp sleeves, but both are perfectly acceptable.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
just add 2 more lights and switches to this pretty simple. screw colors on plugs, silver is neutral, brass is hot, green is ground.

black is hot white is neutral bare copper is ground.

Posts: 5607 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Probably 10 years ago I bought a book at Lowe’s on home wiring. I read it and wired my pool shed with 4 outlets and 3 lights. Still works great to this day and passed the electric inspection.

May be ok maybe not. You would be surprised to read how strict and complicated that correct wiring in and around pools can be. The National Electrical Code has many pages on the chapter for pools. You even need to be careful of bonding many metallic objects even though they may not be electrical.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

May be ok maybe not. You would be surprised to read how strict and complicated that correct wiring in and around pools can be. The National Electrical Code has many pages on the chapter for pools. You even need to be careful of bonding many metallic objects even though they may not be electrical.

If it's not on the deck or within 10' of the pool it's not considered pool wiring. If it is within 20' then it needs to be GFI protected, but any outdoor installation or underground wiring would already be required to be GFI protected. I will not install an outlet within 10' of the pool even though I am a Master Electrician I don't fully understand all of the requirements for pools, that way I am out of the envelope of the pool and safe. Pool electricians are their own separate trade and do not do the same work most other electricians do. The bonding requirements for a swimming pool are nuts (but warranted).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Went looking for a better guide for installing switches for you.

This guy is a real electrician telling you how to do it the right way.

He has a bunch of videos geared towards apprentices but a homeowner could learn a thing or two, too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
You have enough good info to do the job, remember to keep the breaker off until the job is done, and get a Deep box for the outlet, easier to pigtail the wiring.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies. I need to do a little more research and maybe get a book or two.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post