SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reverse seared a chuck roast and it was great
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reverse seared a chuck roast and it was great Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted
About a 3 pounder. Dried it with paper towels and then coated with coarse salt on all sides and put it on a rack on a sheet pan and regrigerated it for about 36 hours. Coated w/Montreal seasoning and some black pepper and let stand for 3 hours to get to room temp.

Placed it in a 9"x13" baking dish w a thermaprobe set to 115F and covered w/foil. Chuck being kinda tough, the foil cover helps tenderize. Took about an hour to get to temp. Put it on a hot grill and flame seared all sides. Came out a perfect medium rare with exceptional flavor. Not as tender as a ribeye but tender enough and flavor was A+. Chuck roasts aren't just for pot roast anymore.

Sorry no pictures, I cooked it yesterday and was not expecting to be particularly impressed but it really was good. I love surprises like that. Smile

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
On a smoker or pellet grille?
I'm hungry Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
In conventional kitchen wall oven to bring temp up to 115 and then seared it on a gas grill wide open. Flame kissed - I see a lot of youTube videos of cooks doing the final sear with a propane torch. Gas grill worked fine and charcoal or wood would work too just got to be HOT.

I had a pellet grill but mine was fussy and the hopper would clog if you left pellets in it so I'm back to old faithful, gas or charcoal.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
At what point during the process did you take photos of this piece of meat? You know there is protocol to follow around here.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Where's the samples?

Posts: 2235 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Here ya go

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of cooking chuck roast medium rare and not braising or stewing it, it’s quite a tough cut that normally requires long slow cooking to break it down?

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post