SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A new milestone in my machining abilities. Thread cutting!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new milestone in my machining abilities. Thread cutting! Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I needed to learn more about using my lathe, so I decided to learn how to cut .595-32 NS 3-A threads. This is used on M14 barrels for the castle nut. 32 threads per inch. I had about five failed attempts but finally succeeded. Standard 24 TPI should be no problem now.

I have plenty of scrap barrels, so this was good fodder for learning.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Looks good, congratulations.

There is a guy on Youtube I watch who is in Australia. He has a one man machine shop and does some amazing work.
I watched him machine threads using a lath and could not figure out how he cuts threads multiple times on the same piece and does not mess up.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Love it! Its called single pointing. I even learned to grind new tools from HS steel blanks. Gotta tell about my screw up back in Machine Trades School. Leblond lathe with a collet closer. A part I was making to print had a bunch of features, one of which was a external thread. For some strange reason, I took the nearly threaded and completed piece out of the collet to observe. I needed a bit more thread depth so back in the collet she goes. Bumped the top slide a bit and engaged the power feed. My beautiful threads cut off there so pretty blue and hot.. Frown It was a performance test to be graded so I had time to make another.

Posts: 17921 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Awesome - well done.

I’ll never forget when I needed a 1” shaft threaded to hold the weapon on the Battlebot…

Went to a speed shop where the hillbilly dirt-tracker dude just walked over to a drill press and threaded the thing by hand using his palm as the friction… took less than 15 seconds. He grinned widely at me. Eek

Power move, super flex on machining/theading chops.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff! Love the knurling.

Last week I got a quick lesson in, "it's been forever since I used a lathe." I can get around the old Bridgeport fairly well, but my lathe skills suck.

We had a technician in late one evening and he needed an alignment pin for a machine setup. I talked to one of the shop guys on the phone (looking for the pin in his toolbox) and he said, "well, heck, if you can't find it just make one."

I stared at the old Sharp for longer than I want to admit before I remembered how to change a collet. But I got the part made! Its surface finish isn't something to be proud of, but it did the job.

After so many years of just acknowledging that my lathe skills are bad, now I'm wanting to get back into it and re-learn. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good looking thread. If I recall, 3-A is a tight, smooth external thread? As tight and smooth as possible, something like the smoothness found on a micrometer. Nicely done.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

There is a guy on Youtube I watch who is in Australia. He has a one man machine shop and does some amazing work.
I watched him machine threads using a lath and could not figure out how he cuts threads multiple times on the same piece and does not mess up.

Lathes set up for thread cutting allow you to re-position the tool post to the exact same starting point so multiple passes are actually pretty easy.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

There is a threaded rod that runs the tool carriage at the desired thread per inch , the operator cycles it on and off engaging/disengaging the drive screw…

It’s cool, you should go watch a machinist work

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Good looking thread. If I recall, 3-A is a tight, smooth external thread? As tight and smooth as possible, something like the smoothness found on a micrometer. Nicely done.

Yes, it's a very fine thread. Here's a picture with a 1/4-20 screw for scale. The triangle is what I used to guide me as I ground the angles on the HSS blank on the disk sander. The fish tail is used to check for the correct 60˚ angle. My iPhone has some nice macro lenses, so the thread is hard to put into perspective when it's zoomed so close.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post