SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Chevy Suburban update.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Chevy Suburban update. Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
I called my dealer to check on the status of my suburban. It has not been accepted by GM yet. But get this. My salesrep told me that they are down to 12 cars on the lot. Typically 400-500 are in stock.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you Sir, you deserve to get the vehicle you desire.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have been seeing a lot of this in the St. Louis area. Huge lots empty with just a few cars out front.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i am betting quite a bit has to do with the rental companies building back their fleets as much as anything.

But you can believe whoever/whatever you wish obviously.

I do not see the same in my part of the country. Are inventories low, sure. But not absurdly so.
Tons of used inventory.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Good luck Dave. I'm getting a taste of the vehicle market right now.

My daughter will be getting her license in the next couple months so my wife's 2002 Camry will go to her. Last weekend my son and I took a ride to see if we can find a Honda Passport. The closest dealer has a handful on the lot...all of them have a $5000 market adjustment fee on top of the MSRP.

Went to the next closest dealer over in Princeton NJ, they had no Passports and only a 1/4 of their lot was stocked. Some vehicles had a $2000 market adjustment.

I already hate going into car dealerships this is only going to make it that much more fun. Roll Eyes

I thinking about going to Costco Auto, from what I'm reading they require that their partnered dealers cannot markup vehicles?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in college. We regularly had a couple hundred cars in inventory.
Last I checked, they had 23 new cars, about half were base work trucks.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15275 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
I called my dealer to check on the status of my suburban. It has not been accepted by GM yet. But get this. My salesrep told me that they are down to 12 cars on the lot. Typically 400-500 are in stock.
Local Ford dealer here had one Ranger, eight F150's, and no F250's or F350's on the lot when I picked up a part for my truck on Saturday at their parts department. That dealer would normally have two four acre lots full of new inventory. It's insane.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a lifelong friend that runs 2 high end used car lots.40 years track record buying good dealer trades. Normally he has 60-70 cars- today he has 18 and that's typical for the last several months.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that there are a lot of cars in manufacturers lots, all done except missing some key parts.
If this is correct, things will get strange when these 2021 models are still there when 2022’s are supposed to be coming out.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i am betting quite a bit has to do with the rental companies building back their fleets as much as anything.

Not in the St Louis area. I rent for work typically twice per week. There are many days where they are turning people away because they don’t have anything to rent.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Are they turning you away by chance?
The demand for rentals is very high. And they cannot replenish over night. It takes time to buy hundreds of thousands of new car's for multiple rental companies across the entire US.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they turning you away by chance?
The demand for rentals is very high. And they cannot replenish over night. It takes time to buy hundreds of thousands of new car's for multiple rental companies across the entire US.

They didn’t have a rental for me once about a month and a half ago. I have been in their waiting area when they have turned people away. They are giving priority to their corporate rentals, which I fall under. Pre COVID, their lot was full. Now, not so much. They are running their cars longer. I had one recently with 40k miles on it. Didn’t see that before. Again, things may be different where you are at, but what I’ve described is the current situation in my area.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Right, I am sure. The last two of my sentences are why and also has a big affect of the availability of new cars which are in short supply overall.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Right, I am sure.

Sure about??

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They sold off those rentals less than two years ago and they were relatively new cars.
Where did they go, you can’t buy a used car unless you pay a premium?

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I would venture to say they all sold. With new cars being in short supply and very expensive. The used market flourished.

All of this is going to make the used market really ripe for buys in the not so distant future is the forecast. Just when that will be is a bit of a gray area. My guess is maybe 14-18 months from now.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
My understanding is that there are a lot of cars in manufacturers lots, all done except missing some key parts.
If this is correct, things will get strange when these 2021 models are still there when 2022’s are supposed to be coming out.
Bend your mind around this one. 'What if' when the chips finally show up to allow completion of all these thousands upon thousands of vehicles, the economy has moved into severe recession with high unemployment and the demand for them has plummeted? What do manufacturers do to recover the 10's or 100's of millions of dollars in capital they have sunk in all this inventory? Then there's the 2022 model year issue you noted. We have potential major economic disasters looming everywhere.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I called my dealer to check on the status of my suburban. It has not been accepted by GM yet.

That's weird. I ordered a new 2022 Chevy Traverse on 10/12 and it was accepted by GM on 10/13. I don't have a build date yet and right now I'm being told to expect it around the middle of February. This is a fleet vehicle to replace my current 2020 Traverse. I just log into the fleet company website and check for updates on the order.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good luck, I hope it doesn’t take too long to get. We ordered an Explorer on May 4 and it hasn’t even been scheduled for production yet. My brother-in-law ordered a new Super Duty three days ago and got his VIN immediately. His truck should be done in November.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Dave, did you order a Duramax? If so, they have been on constraint for the last couple of months, they are back to being available today

We were down to 2 or three vehicles about a week ago, we have about 40 on the lot now and plenty more coming. They supposedly got a good bit of chips from somewhere

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post