SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida to Release 750M GMO Mosquitoes, What could go wrong...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida to Release 750M GMO Mosquitoes, What could go wrong... Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
They can’t produce fertile offspring so if it’s a bust they will be gone pretty soon. It won’t be hard to get more mosquitoes if we need them.

(emphasis mine)

I feel like I've heard that plot device before.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
They can’t produce fertile offspring so if it’s a bust they will be gone pretty soon. It won’t be hard to get more mosquitoes if we need them.

(emphasis mine)

I feel like I've heard that plot device before.

Sure, they could be entirely wrong or nature could find a way, etc. But if that happens we’ll just have a bunch of extra mosquitoes to kill, not a bunch of big angry lizards.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, Florida again...we've never had an insect or pest problem here!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
So your objection to this, and reason for calling them assholes, is a Hollywood movie, which was based on a work of fiction.

Awesome.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
So your objection to this, and reason for calling them assholes, is a Hollywood movie, which was based on a work of fiction.

Awesome.

Super awesome, in fact.

(Of course not. One can have concerns and make fun, too.)

(eyeroll)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't forget Asian Carp, which may yet decimate our freshwater fish population.

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. Big Grin

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not understanding on how this will help anything as there will still be the same number, if not more normal females that will reproduce......

It seems just like the huge failure they did with lovebugs......and Australian pine trees and more.....humans can't fix mother nature.....only make it worse.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Next...

We kill all the ticks.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17467 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'm not understanding on how this will help anything as there will still be the same number, if not more normal females that will reproduce......

It seems just like the huge failure they did with lovebugs......and Australian pine trees and more.....humans can't fix mother nature.....only make it worse.

The idea is they continually release males that can’t produce viable offspring (they have to do this continually because the GM mosquitoes only live for about two days). Female mosquitoes usually mate only once in their lives so if one mates with a GM mosquito her offspring will die during the larval stage and she will then die having failed to replace herself. After millions of these events the population collapses.

It’s kind of like flooding a singles bar with very attractive but secretly gay men.

Love bugs and Australian pines are invasive species that were accidentally (love bugs) or intentionally (Australian pines) brought to the US. They are certainly a problem, but a very different one than this.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The idea is they continually release males that can’t produce viable offspring (they have to do this continually because the GM mosquitoes only live for about two days). Female mosquitoes usually mate only once in their lives so if one mates with a GM mosquito her offspring will die during the larval stage and she will then die having failed to replace herself. After millions of these events the population collapses.

It’s kind of like flooding a singles bar with very attractive but secretly gay men. After a while no one will be having any fun and the bar will close.

Love bugs and Australian pines are invasive species that were accidentally (love bugs) or intentionally (Australian pines) brought to the US. They are certainly a problem, but a very different one than this.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Thinking about how much disease and misery is transmitted by mosquitos.

It will be a wonderful thing to see them eradicated.

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No animal on earth is responsible for more death and disease through the span of human existence than the mosquito.
While I do not think this is at its core a bad idea, there are always unintended consequences. Some not emerging u til years later. Species such as bats or others that feed primarily on mosquitoes will obviously be affected, but who knows down the line what else might be ?

Posts: 3296 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The comparison to the Africanized honey bees is off base. The bees were not intentionally released. Someone screwed the pooch and let the queens out. They breed had not been properly tested and vetted, and probably needed a lot more work before they'd be safe.

In this instance, it seems that all the testing has been done and properly vetted, and the breed passed. So the release would be intentional and should be safe.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we run some trials on deer ticks to find a cure for some STD's while we are at it.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I reference Africanized Bees because:
1) It was the first genetically modified insect that came to mind.
2) Regardless of it being an accidental release or not, it was/is a disaster.

---------
Yes, they will have to continue to release males of this variant until the mosquitoes are eradicated completely or to a level that someone, someplace is happy with.

Personally I hope this is successful and can be repeated across the globe to fight dengue, zika, malaria etc..

------------
Jumping fish: There is probably a good reason why this isn't done.

Why not pilot a bass boat up the river at low speed, 2-3 guys with shotguns and duck loads, "hunt" them to extinction. I know this is a separate topic. And yes the danger is overshooting the target and hitting something/someone etc.. Seems like it could fix the issue.

I worry about them getting into the Great Lakes.

-S

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SOTAR,

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't forget Asian Carp, which may yet decimate our freshwater fish population.

Yes, It was going to eat the Asian Milfoil & "could not reproduce". They were introduced to the Tennessee river I think in the 1970's or 1980's.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4277 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

From the article:
The new male mosquito, OX5034, is programmed to kill only female mosquitoes, with males surviving for multiple generations and passing along the modified genes to subsequent male offspring.

SO...
The females die. The males survive AND also pass on the killer gene.
If true, it sounds like it could very well work.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:

From the article:
The new male mosquito, OX5034, is programmed to kill only female mosquitoes, with males surviving for multiple generations and passing along the modified genes to subsequent male offspring.

SO...
The females die. The males survive AND also pass on the killer gene.
If true, it sounds like it could very well work.

What could possibly go wrong??? Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:

"With all the urgent crises facing our nation and the State of Florida — the Covid-19 pandemic, racial injustice, climate change — the administration has used tax dollars and government resources for a Jurassic Park experiment," said Jaydee Hanson, policy director for the International Center for Technology Assessment and Center for Food Safety, in a statement released Wednesday.

If I don’t know anything about a subject but liberal SLWs are against it then I know it’s probably a good thing. Based on the people who are upset about this, I’m thinking it will work perfectly.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15257 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post