SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Red dot or Green dot?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot or Green dot? Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
What are the advantages and disadvantages between them?

Specifically looking to put one on a P365XL but do the same things apply to an optic for a rifle?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, at least for me the green dot is easier to see in bright light. I have a slight astigmatism and the green dot looks more rounded and clear.

It's also easier on my eyes if I'm looking/using it for a extended period of time.

I have a few red dots, but from now on, if an optic offers a green reticle that's what I'm going to pick.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a study years ago when fiber optic sights started getting popular and it showed that men pick up green better and women pick up red better.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find green MUCH easier to acquire quickly.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For me, with my Vortex Strikefire II on an AR
Green for indoors/low light
Red outdoors

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Holosun green dot a few months back. Haven't done any shooting with it yet, but it is MUCH easier to pick up than any red dot I own.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thought this was gonna be about gunpowder

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot both.
For me, indoors Green is easier for me to pick up.
Outdoor, RED. The Green disappears in the trees/grass/green background.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Green dot all the way. They are a little more difficult to find right now, but much quicker to acquire, especially in bright sunlight.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most prefer green. I'll always say try both if you can but green seems to be what most prefer.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
A plus for green dots is you can keep them at a lower setting than red and still get about the same or perceived brightness as a red dot.

A plus for red dots are that red causes the least amount of eye strain and have better battery life since the emitter doesn’t need as much power as the green dot.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green works best for me in all applications.
Gaf

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Green over red for me as well.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I have both, prefer the green.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've got astigmatism too and green works much better for me. I have Holosun, Eotech, and Trijicon optics, that all employ green reticles.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Our eyes pick up green better than red.

As a revolver guy, specifically S&W, I had all my red front sight inserts switched to lime green.

I can see them against anything, including foliage as the bright green is unnatural and stands out so clearly.

So, try both and see if you are like so many others and can pick up the green easier.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I liked the green over the red when I looked at both but there is a bunch of difference between the showroom and the outside world.

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm a Red Dot fan.
red dot; Good enough for indoor, better than green outdoors.
I imagine most scenarios as outdoor encounters.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Holosun 507k x2 in green from our friends at Top Gun Supply as they did not have one at the store.
I expect it will get here sometime yesterday.

Looking forward to trying out optics on a pistol.

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I also prefer green.

I read a study on this a while back now, and green proved easier to pick up . One of the misnomers that people think when considering green is that it won't show up as well as red when the background is also green, for example foliage. Then one considers the tennis ball and most tennis courts are a shade of green....it is the color that it is for a reason.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post