SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best fall detection watch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best fall detection watch Login/Join 
posted
Would prefer a watch rather than pendant that summons help. Thanks in advance. I believe Vtail had some suggestions.

Posts: 17580 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If you have an iPhone, the Apple Watch would do you well.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4412 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree on the Apple watch. My college room mate was camping in the woods with his wife and friends a couple years ago, miles from anything, had a heart episode that knocked him out. His Apple watch called paramedics who got to him in about 10 minutes, and consequently six of us bought Apple phones just so we could use the technology.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9387 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree on the Apple watch if you have an iPhone. I stumbled about a year ago and went to my knees, caught myself with my hands when I went down. Had to press the button on my Apple Watch to cancel, it was beeping to let me know it was about to call Emergency folks. Worked as advertised.
BTW, got the watch working again to make calls independently so I am good again.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2956 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Apple introduced Fall Detection with the Series 4 Watch.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31508 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Apple Watch, and I'd get the Cellular version, that way you have contact in case your phone is out of range from the watch and something happens.

You can get a good deal on Woot.com, which is a division of Amazon, also Costco has good pricing on newer models.

You'd have to sign up for notifications on Woot for the next Apple device sale, and jump on it quickly.

Costco, it's everyday.

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My Samsung Galaxy 3 watch has that feature if you are in the Android universe.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12967 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I wore my Apple watch all the time or could remember to carry my iPhone with me, I wouldn't worry about falls (as much).

But, in June, I was getting out of the pool and decided to take a header face down into the pavers-no watch, no phone. Everyone from my Nurse Practitioner wife to the great VA ER doc thought at least my nose was broken if not more, but God is good and all I had was a rearranged nose (it now bows to the left instead of the right as it did for 70 some years) and two black eyes.

The VA had given me two brand new pendants (the second after the first quit), but it, too, quit working so I invested in one of the "Help I've fallen and I can't get up," models.

I can shower, swim and everything else I like to do while wearing it and the device works. The charger lives by my bed so I stick it in to charge every night, and, so far, I remember to put it on when I get up.

I've dropped it twice now, and they are on me almost immediately making sure I am okay. I feel pretty confident with it, though I'd rather not need to summon help.

My wife is headed up to PA in the morning to meet a friend and watch Penn State play on Saturday, so we'll see if I can get along a few days without messing something up.

I agree with the premise that the watch or phone is more convenient, but I can't seem to keep them with me all the time-but I can the pendant.

Bob

Posts: 1683 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wearing my apple watch working in the yard when I inadvertently picked up a planter that was covered with thousands of ants. Instead of waiting to see if they were fire ants (they weren't), I immediately started flailing around like an idiot, frantically knocking them off. I'm really glad no one was watching. But my apple watch wanted to call paramedics because it knew something was wrong/thought I fell. Thankfully I was able to cancel the call before it happened.

I think the apple watch is a good idea as we get older.

Posts: 263 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Apple Watch. Worked for my wife just the other day.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5224 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can shower, swim and everything else I like to do while wearing it and the device works. The charger lives by my bed so I stick it in to charge every night, and, so far, I remember to put it on when I get up

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are several models noted on the webpage. What do you suggest? Thanks

Posts: 17580 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

There are several models noted on the webpage. What do you suggest? Thanks
I suggest that you check the monitoring fees. Last time I looked, the monitoring service could exceed thousand bucks / year for the "Help, I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up" pendant.

The Apple Watch does not have a fee for its Fall Detection services. It does need to be paired with an iPhone, but you can find iPhone service plans pretty cheap if you stay away from the big names (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon) and go with one of their MVNO re-sellers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31508 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vtail.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Brain in a fog..............read the title and went to "where to find the best fall colors"............ Big Grin

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4660 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I saw a choice of models, but complete, out the door, including the pendant, magnetic closure cord, and one year of coverage was a bit over $700.00 from the company I chose-Medical Guardian. I picked them 'cause they've been around a long time and the reviews seemed good.

If I am still around in a year, it'll renew at less than that (forgot how much, but it wasn't offensive) and I'm good for another year. Or I can do it monthly but I don't like to bother with that, so a yearly renewal works for me.

If I'm gone, then my wife can use it and the remaining time and renew it IF she wants to do so. Sadly, I won't be here to be involved in her decision making on that issue.

As I said earlier, I've dropped it twice and immediately they were ready to send help.

You also get a hefty combo locking device for the front door with a 4 digit combination that contains a key so help can get in without breaking open the door or window similar to those used by realtors. Put a spare key in, hook it on, spin the numbers on the lock and forget it. Cops, paramedics, fire fighters-they are given the combination when dispatched and can open the lock, use the key and, hopefully, won't find me naked and flopping around on the floor when they enter.

Seems to me, the issues to consider are:

1. Do I need one of those devices?

2. Which one will I have with me ALL the time.

3. Sellers reputation and device durability.

5. Overall cost.

Bob

Posts: 1683 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for taking the time to craft a detailed response.

Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I know several people with Apple watches and have heard no complaints. It seems to be best known smart watch on the market and has a great reputation for innovation. In fact, all of my medical discharge notes (from the docs) refer to the ECG's I send in as coming from an 'Apple' watch.

I, however, don't have an iPhone (or other Apple devices) so I ended up buying a Garmin Venu 3 that's compatible with my Samsung phone. Samsung also makes a smartwatch but I decided on the garmin based on my satisfaction with other Garmin devices. The biggest selling point for me was battery life. Depending on how many features I use, and for how long, I regularly get 8-10 days of battery life.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2007 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post