SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    All of my desktop icons moved to another monitor.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All of my desktop icons moved to another monitor..... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I use my laptop in a dock with two monitors at work and at home use the laptop screen with a second monitor. It's been working fine for some time now.

Out of nowhere it has moved all my icons to the second (right) screen when the left was always the primary screen. The monitors are still in the correct order, #1 is the left and #2 is the right and they are considered extended so you can just drag across them. I moved all the icons back over to the left screen but they were back on the right when I booted up again.

WTF

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Did the other monitor become Primary?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Right mouse click the background, either screen
Select Display Settings from drop down
Should get a Display box up, click identify, see which screen is 1 and 2.

You can change them by sliding one to the other side of the other

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the fix according to Microsoft:

https://answers.microsoft.com/...1f-b851-05f6a8a69df5

Posts: 4786 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
If it's like my machine, it will switch back at some point. Seems to happen after software upgrades and I've just gotten use to them moving.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4892 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It’s a warning. Start behaving yourself or they’ll move to someone else’s monitor. Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I understand it is a side effect of the software that people use to video you masturbating.

Posts: 6795 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I understand it is a side effect of the software that people use to video you masturbating.

I hope not... this is my work PC ... lol... and my personal PC seems fine, so that seems odd

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not something I know anything about, but it occurs to me it could be a changed orientatiion selection somewhere (left changed to right?)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
I've seen that happen on W10 rigs. Seems to be an unaddressed problem, primary swaps with secondary. It can be fixed by turning the secondary off, rebooting, and setting up the primary again (icons should automatically appear there), and removing the secondary monitor (you may have to unplug the monitor cable for a moment), then turn on the secondary and add it back.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post