SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your pallet changes as you get older. Bourbon is too sweet.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your pallet changes as you get older. Bourbon is too sweet. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
I've found that my tastes have changed over time. My palette is more sensitive to sweet tastes than in the past. But really, my palate today means that bourbon all tastes like coca-cola or some other candy. Anybody got a bourbon that's not a candy shop?

From Old Crow through Makers, Beam, all the big names... I can't find anything that isn't so forward with caramel and other sweets. It might as well all be Southern Comfort, which would make my teeth hurt if I tried it now.

Irish whiskey like Red Breast, Bushmills, the Canadians, not so much.

The flavored stuff everyone has now, holy crap some of it is delicious but it's all too sweet.

Is there a brand I'm forgetting about, or is all bourbon a default loppy pop for me now?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27003 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, you've graduated to Scotch.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12791 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
My choice "Buffalo Trace".... But that is just me......... Thought bourbon had to be made from at least 51% corn........ drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Yep, 12 year old single malt Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16717 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
My choice "Buffalo Trace".... But that is just me................. drill sgt.

If Makers is too sweet for him, so will Buffalo Trace

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Personal favorites are Islay and Highland.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12791 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Yep, 12 year old single malt Smile

Lagavulin 16 has been a favorite for well over 20 years... it's just recent that Willy Wonka started polluting all the bourbon.

Ever hear of Loch Dhu? I bought it as a novelty years ago, enjoyed it, and now people pay big bucks for scotch that tastes like it was distilled in Mogadishu amidst burning tires..

Arc.

Posts: 27003 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I hope somebody clicked in here just for the spelling..

Arc.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
you probably know this but move past the wheaters and try some Wild Turkey 101 or similar,

more ''heat''

however Caramel is a taste profile for most,

or try rye's, Basil Hayden's Dark Rye is pretty damn tasty,

re Scotch

Caol Ila is my favorite so far

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:

Yes. I was rewarded with the correct spelling in the post body.

You’re already turned on to Lagavulin, so I have nothing more to offer.

What is Willy Wonka bourbon?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
What is Willy Wonka bourbon?

I made it up, it better not exist.

I thought a Rye Whiskey wasn't a bourbon? It would just be nice if the Snozzberries didn't taste like Snozzberries.

This is a palate thing, for ages my favorite candy was Reese's cups, now it's like getting slapped in the mouth. It's just weird, not a huge thing, but damn if bourbon isn't coke now.

Arc.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
In early 2006 I went cold turkey from tobacco the day after I had a heart attack. It didn't take long to find that my taste buds were returning to "normal" and that my palate had changed. I found myself moving from scotch to Irish whiskey where I've remained since.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16248 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Red Breast 16 is amazing.

Arc.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Red Breast 16 is amazing.

Redbreast is our go to for Irish and has been for well over a decade.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16248 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, you weren't. The word he was looking for was "palate."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

No, you weren't. The word he was looking for was "palate."

Reading is fundamental, my dude. All three spellings are in the post, because English is silly.

Arc.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Time to upgrade to scotch! Seriously, I started drinking bourbon more because its cheaper and a bit sweeter but still love a good scotch.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reading is fundamental, my dude. All three spellings are in the post, because English is silly.
arcwelder, you're going out of your way to be snotty. Just be nice, please. Manners

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guilty. I figured you meant palate, but I deal with pallets from time to time too so I thought I’d stop in and see what had changed.

To my not terribly sophiscated (old joke for sophisticated) palate, rye seems less sweet than bourbon. You could try a rye or two or just go straight to Scotch and Irish. I’ve always preferred Irish to Scotch, but it is all personal taste.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Caramel you say? Have you tried Angels envy Rye or Woodford Reserve double oak by chance?

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post