SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Classic Car guys- need help with a 57 Chevy Bel Air
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Car guys- need help with a 57 Chevy Bel Air Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Looks like a solid car, just needs some TLC. Big thing is don't force it.

If the wheels won't rotate (brakes stuck) there are options. Jack the car up and see if you can manually turn the wheel to free it up. Occasionally a few whacks on the drum (wheel off) with a heavy rubber ballet or dead blow hammer will free them up. Get a brake adjuster tool for drum brakes and back them off. Sometimes a combination of the two will free them up. Worst case, pull the drums. Often it's 1 wheel that won't turn.

You'll need to take a deeper look at the engine. Is there oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? Pulling the valve covers can also tell a story along with pulling the plugs as noted. Could be as easy as rust in the cylinders and as bad as a bent valve or spun rod bearing. All of those are fixable.

The 57 Chevy is still a very sought after car. A tiny bit of body work, a good paint job and a run though by a mechanic and you have a nice cruiser. Do an LS swap and really do a nice paint job (frame off, engine bay, etc) and you could have a 100pt show car.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38248 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Looks like a solid car, just needs some TLC. Big thing is don't force it.

If the wheels won't rotate (brakes stuck) there are options. Jack the car up and see if you can manually turn the wheel to free it up. Occasionally a few whacks on the drum (wheel off) with a heavy rubber ballet or dead blow hammer will free them up. Get a brake adjuster tool for drum brakes and back them off. Sometimes a combination of the two will free them up. Worst case, pull the drums. Often it's 1 wheel that won't turn.

You'll need to take a deeper look at the engine. Is there oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? Pulling the valve covers can also tell a story along with pulling the plugs as noted. Could be as easy as rust in the cylinders and as bad as a bent valve or spun rod bearing. All of those are fixable.

The 57 Chevy is still a very sought after car. A tiny bit of body work, a good paint job and a run though by a mechanic and you have a nice cruiser. Do an LS swap and really do a nice paint job (frame off, engine bay, etc) and you could have a 100pt show car.

My only priority is getting this thing towed. Brakes are obviously an issue, but the engine doesnt matter at this point, at least not to me. If my stepdad makes it back ok with his cognitive abilities intact this car will still be his problem. If not im selling it to my father in law for probably less than its worth, because hes family and it means more to him than anyone else. He hated the fact my stepdad just left that car there to rot for 20 years. He knew what a treasure something like that is.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Have it transported. I think that (I’m not sure, check with the towing company though) the car would be covered under their insurance if the tow truck was involved in an accident.

On the U Haul trailer unless the car is insured, if it gets hit it’s on your dime.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And
Does anyone know why some are "Nomads"

And others are not.

What differentiates
What is and is not ?
Thanks in advance.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Nomads were produced by Chevrolet during the Tri-5 years. They are Bel Air trim-level, two-door wagons. Also highly desirable for collectors and rodders.

What is not a Nomad are wagons manufactured outside of ‘55, ‘56, & ‘57. Any wagon not a two-door, any lower trim level wagon.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Does anyone know why some are "Nomads"
The Nomad is a 1955-57 Bel-Air station wagon with unique styling. Not all - in fact, relatively few - Bel-Air wagons were Nomads. For that matter, not all '57 Chevys were Bel-Airs, let alone two-door hardtops like the OP's.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The true Nomad (and Pontiac Safari) was a three year only two door hardtop (no window frame) wagon built for three years 1955-57.

Chevrolet and some Pontiac’s also had a two door wagon with a surround window frame in hose years too, same body shell they built sedan deliveries off of. Chevrolet named these the Handyman, mainly marketed to businesses and fleets as delivery and service vehicles that could double as passenger vehicles.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Do an LS swap

Your post was fine until that point. Don't molest (what appears to be) an original small-block car with that soulless, generic GM corporate engine.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An unmolested two door with a straight body is pretty collectible . I second the leaf blower thing just to make it a little more presentable . If it was restored and pristine I might would check into other options for moving it but any reputable company with a roll back flatbed could handle this easily .

Posts: 4271 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Flatbed tow is best, dragging it around on a two wheel Uhaul trailer or behind a standard tow truck when it hasn't been rolling is not a good idea since you'd need the thing to roll easily and you don't want to risk internal damage to the driveline after 20 years sitting.

Agree with RIghtwire on jacking up the back and removing the rear drums, or at least whack them a few times and see if they will come loose so it will roll when in N.

If it will roll then getting it winched up on a flatbed will be simple for a good tow operator to load it, strap down and move to your FIL.

BTW selling it to your FIL, someone who clearly cares about it is a great idea should that happen and not everything needs an LS,

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post