SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Undergoes Surgery For Lung Cancer
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Undergoes Surgery For Lung Cancer Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I won't be sad if she is no longer on the Court, but I wish her no ill health.

It is a problem that the political reality will put pressure on her to remain on the Court even if she cannot actually do her job.

One thinks of Justice William Douglas…

“William Douglas, who set the record for Supreme Court tenure (almost 37 years), barely functioned during his last 10 months, after a debilitating stroke in 1975; colleagues informally agreed to nullify any decision in which Douglas cast the deciding vote.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Croak, retire, or mindlessly wander off, I don't care. I just want her gone asap.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
How many lives does that woman have in reserve?

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't wish cancer on anybody, even someone I don't agree with.

There for the grace of God, go I...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won't be sad if she is no longer on the Court, but I wish her no ill health.

^^^^^^
I agree that I wish no one bad health but it seems to come with my wishes as it did in this case. I think surgery is usually followed by chemo and/or radiation in the case of lung cancer. Since she already has health issues it would follow that she may not be able to work for some time.

There is a very important case which has just been granted certiorari (Kisor v. Wilkie) and it would be wonderful if another reliable strict constructionist was on the court.

In granting certiorari in Kisor the court has directly asked if Auer v. Robbins and Seminole R&S should be overturned! These decisions have done much to perpetuate the current Administrative State.

Overturning Robbins, Seminole, (and Chevron) would be big steps in neutering the bureaucracy.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This woman has some seriously bad genes!! I believe that this is three(3) serious cancers since she became a SCJ......any one of them could/should have been fatal!! She is one tough old bird, but it is time for her to step down.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Lung surgery this soon after breaking three ribs? Confused It is possible that this injury occurred sooner than mid-November when we heard of it.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
There is no way reasonably possible, that one can attain the position on the SCOTUS and not be aware that one's state pf mind and physical health is up to the demands of that position.

Either she is mentally unfit to make such an important decision, and therefore the same goes for her ability to weigh and make opinion on the needs of the laws and constitution, judge the actions of the Congress or President, or she is fully cognizant of her maintain her seat in light of her diminished health and stamina, which can also directly have a variable effect on her mental faculties.

That may not be "evil", but it is most selfish and damaging to the third leg of this nation's standing.

I do not want a Justice Ruth Bader-Ginsburg-McCain. Too many hyphens.

And that about says it for me. I do not wish for her death. I just want her out of there! I do not think she is evil, either. Just want someone there who actually knows what the constitution says, and MEANS!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are we sure the Democrats are not making her get fitted with cyborg parts to ensure she lives for another 50 to 100 years?

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Are we sure the Democrats are not making her get fitted with cyborg parts to ensure she lives for another 50 to 100 years?
Yep, Ruth Bader Gins-borg.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ Haaa!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Same here.

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I don't want to wish this woman ill. I just want here to retire.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I believe she had planned to retire when the Beast became president. I predict she will continue on until her last breath while Trump is in office.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Could have been one of the best Christmas’s ever.....

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thinks of Justice William Douglas…

“William Douglas, who set the record for Supreme Court tenure (almost 37 years), barely functioned during his last 10 months, after a debilitating stroke in 1975; colleagues informally agreed to nullify any decision in which Douglas cast the deciding vote.”

I remember Justice Douglas well. I am wondering if the Founding Fathers ever thought that Justices would continue to serve despite being infirm. I guess in those days most people died well before dementia and chronic disease resulted in death.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Yep, Ruth Bader Gins-borg.

LMAO!! You win the interwebs today, sir!! That is DAMN funny right there...I don’t care who yuh are. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She should retire and spend whatever time she has left with family and friends instead of napping at SCOTUS.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
One thing that really irritates me is how nasty the Democrats can be. They do it regularly with President Trump, did it with Justice Kavanaugh and most recently with the appointment of Sen. McSally.

I would have thought that Republicans/conservatives would be better than the liberals in that regard. Especially after what we witnessed with Justice Kavanaugh.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
There is no way reasonably possible, that one can attain the position on the SCOTUS and not be aware that one's state pf mind and physical health is up to the demands of that position.

Either she is mentally unfit to make such an important decision, and therefore the same goes for her ability to weigh and make opinion on the needs of the laws and constitution

My understanding is that the clerks to a justice have a lot of power. They can control the information, write opinions and such. No doubt her loyal staff is covering any deficiencies she has. When she’s out of the bubble, such as at the state of the union address, her frailties can be seen

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post