In a discussion, we realized that errors in a chemistry lab/biochem lab can kill the researcher. The training is focused on not making mistakes.
Doctors have to risk making mistakes, which may kill the patient, but will not physically harm the doctor.
Does this make sense to anyone else?
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6919 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
Doctors have to worry about making mistakes that hurt themselves, too.
Off the top of my head, I know a LOT of docs who have accidentally stuck themselves with syringes that had been used on patients with HIV or hepatitis.
Posts: 6323 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011
Lab work means hours of “make a mistake, and you’re dead.” It’s a main focus of the training, so that the individual can handle, “make a mistake everyone in the room is dead/if you really eff up, the town dies.” A real undergrad program will probably have 500-1000 hours in that environment
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6919 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
That you know a lot of docs who have stuck themselves, seems to indicate it’s not a focus. I do not know lots of biochemists who have made mistakes.
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6919 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
Sorta. It’s a miracle Federal incompetence hasn’t killed us all
BS-3595-C401. In Theory, this will be the "seal" verifying that I am an attorney, and when I was licensed/the authority was last contacted, and confirmed it to be active.
Posts: 6919 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007
My brother had reconstructive surgery on his left leg after an ugly compound fracture years back. A few hours after the surgery the they wheeled him down to radiology for an XRay. Doc comes in his room an hour later and and says they need to go back in to make some adjustments. While cleaning/post-op one of the nurses could not locate the iodine sponge. (whatever the hell that is)
Posts: 5566 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010