SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holding out for AWD?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holding out for AWD? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
My wife would like to get a bigger vehicle than her current Escape. I would prefer a large SUV but she wants a minivan so that’s what we’ll get. No big deal.

However, I am holding out for an AWD, of which there aren’t many on the used market, especially in the budget we’d like to stick too. For instance, in our budget, there are less than 10 that pop up searching various resources within 100 miles. If I wasn’t worried about AWD the choices would increase untold amounts as it would include other brands.

Why do I want AWD, you ask? Not because we have great need... we don’t. We live in a flat area that sees little rain and no snow or ice. She’s not in the habit of driving around off-road. We take 2-3 trips into the mountains a year during the winter. In the past, we’ve used my 4wd truck and actually engaged the 4wd only a handful of times, mostly out of an abundance of caution versus actual need.

So, I want the AWD for two reason really.

1) occasional trips to the mountains where we might encounter some active snowfall, residual snow on the road, or most likely, hard parked snow in the parking areas at our destination

And

2) if it’s available why not have it? Better to have without need than need without have, right?

As I see it the big cons to this is a lack of selection, it’ll cost more upfront, probably go through tires quicker, and will give up some MPG’s versus a 2 wheel drive model

Have I identified all the players on the field? Any facts I’ve failed to consider? I know some of you will say you’ve never needed 4wd/AWD after living in Snowville, Minnesota for 300 years, but I’m not that guy and I won’t ever drive enough in the snow to be that guy. I’m smart enough to stay out of the mountains when the chance of poor weather is high, but I’m not against driving up with some snow showers in the forecast. In fact, one of the most peaceful moments of my life was sitting on the tailgate of my truck in the Sierras watching the snow fall on a frozen lake. I need more of that, not less. Without living there. Lol.

Posts: 6459 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I would also consider that AWD is a more mechanically complicated system involving more parts that can fail.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
It is more complicated. But if it gives peace of mind,it could be worth it. I don’t usually “need” it, but my Grand Cherokee is a QD2 with full time 4x4 has made things easier in the winter in MD. And the extra ground clearance helped me get around during record rainfall and flooding this year.

Posts: 721 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I purchased 3 Toyota RAV-4s one day, and two have AWD. All 3 would have had it if I was able to come up with a little more bucks. I was unhappy about that, but I just couldn't get them to come down.

I want my wife and two daughters to have the ability to get through mud, snow and ice with few problems as possible.

I had to take my wife to work/pick her up when there was ice on the road because she didn't have an AWD vehicle at the time. All of the vehicles on the road were unable to climb moderate hills and were sliding everywhere. My CR-V with AWD just zipped around like nothing.

My wife will always have an AWD vehicle, and I hope my daughters will when they make their future purchases.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1217 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have driven both 2 and AWD. I don’t think there is enough difference to warrant the added price and lower fuel mileage. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get AWD for an occasional trip and why not reason.

quote:
I know some of you will say you’ve never needed 4wd/AWD after living in Snowville, Minnesota for 300 years, but I’m not that guy and I won’t ever drive enough in the snow to be that guy. I’m smart enough to stay out of the mountains when the chance of poor weather is high, but I’m not against driving up with some snow showers in the forecast.

Sounds like your mind is already made up. Some people are going to tell you no and you're just going to do it anyway.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Your only option is the Sienna unless you go way back to the Astro.

One thing to remember is that Toyota uses runflat tires on their AWD models because the rear driveshaft takes up the space of the spare tire under the vehicle.

With that said I would take the AWD over the FWD. We bought the FWD model it was terrible for our needs all around. Torque steer was awful and bit of incline and a turn wheels spun.

Granted we get lots of rain, snow, and ice here but unless it is a true RWD sports car nothing I buy will be anything but 4WD or AWD.

Not sure what she is looking for but I can’t say enough the van was a poor purchase for us my wife hated it more than I did.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I specifically got the Juke in AWD for Tabitha here in the treacherous mountains of Jawjuh.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I would also consider that AWD is a more mechanically complicated system involving more parts that can fail.

And your mileage will suffer all the time for the rare occasion you may use it. I say pass.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
OP:
My vote has been forged by the past unexpected instances where in fact 4wd WAS the essential that saved the bacon.

I'd as soon "pay extra" for the 95 miles I don't need it to have it those other 5 miles.

Whose money is it anyway? My Sweet Bride is now 32000 miles into her first AWD rig. She ain't going back.

Good luck finding what you seek.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a contrarian on this. Do you live in an area where you need it on a regular basis? Like for 4 months of the year. Sounds like no. Then its just more maintenance and way more cost. I live in an area where we have lots of snow/rain/ice. Do I see 2wd cars littering the highways. No I don't. Its a huge plus for the tiny percentage of time you need it, but on average its not an upside. My best friend runs a local garage and I can't tell you the number of 4wd issues I see there.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 2wd, and spend the money on better tires based on your stated driving conditions.
I live in coastal Northern New England, and deal with hills, curves, rain and snow.
Better tires and driving for the conditions will do you much better than relying on AWD. I see more AWD vehicles off the road due to driver over confidence.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Unless you drive through snow often I don’t think it’s worth the extra maintenance and loss of MPGs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Us old guys grew up driving RWD in the snow without anti-lock brakes and no cell phones to call for help. Crazy, huh?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
We live in North Texas and I wouldn’t be caught without one 4WD or AWD in the household. Mileage difference is incidental in most platforms IME. Hold out if it’s what you want. I’ve traveled far more than 100 miles for the right vehicle.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's funny. My first truck was a 1969 Chevy C10 RWD (not even limited slip) and I ran the same tires summer and winter since I was poor. Yes I remember throwing a little weight in the back in the winter. But I never remember being stuck. Now I run a pickup with 4WD, studded snow tires, tow straps at the ready, traction control, abs, etc. etc. and a cell phone and of course I never remember getting stuck either.

posted Hide Post
OK maybe in Texas you need AWD for the mud and slick grass?

posted Hide Post
For occasional use like maybe visiting the mountains.

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My wife likes her Subaru and it is AWD.

Posts: 5347 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Subaru too, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that if you drive it for a number of years the maintenance costs will be 40% or more higher than if you had a car without AWD. So if you live in a climate that doesn't demand AWD just pass.