SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shut Down My Final Social Media Platform
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shut Down My Final Social Media Platform Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I ditched FB back in January and have felt great about it.

This week I shut down Nextdoor which is a neighborhood app but in my experience has been 85% people just bitching about their neighbors or neighborhood.

I responded to a post someone local to me put up with this old photo, she claimed it had been taken in our town here in PA during the Spanish Flu pandemic and wasn’t it a wonderful picture? I simply replied that it actually was kinda a famous photo taken in California in 1918:

Well, Cat Lady/Karen didn’t take too kindly to that and immediately began attacking me. WTF? Rather than turn her post into a shitfest, I went to private messenger and tried to tell her I wasn’t trying to be an asshole just pointing out the history of the photo.

Instead of saying “oh ok”, she continued to go off on me! Then starts saying odd things about my young children and inferring I’m a bad person and parent.

At this point I realize I’m dealing with someone with mental illness or something and wish her a good day, and delete my account.

Before I did that, I looked up her username (on Nextdoor, your name gets associated with the street you live on) AND SHE LIVES ON THE SAME GODDAM STREET AS ME, like 5 houses up. Eek

Ugh. Fuck social media. All it’s doing is dividing us and making the people who were jerks and assholes inside into bigger jerks and assholes outwardly.

Done!

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. I ditched FB a long time ago and do not miss it at all. Do have Nextdoor, and you are right about it being mostly bithcin' and whinin'. I don't post but just lurk on Nextdoor. The annoying folks, I just mute. Otherwise there are tidbits of good information I would not know in my neighborhood otherwise especially the prowlers and keeping an eye out for lost dogs.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
I'm on the same path....FB off my phone. Just use it on the computer now, but I look at it and wonder what benefit it gives me? It's on it's way out for sure.

I also see that tabloid magazines are not for sale at my local grocery store any more. Coincidence, I don't think so.

---------------------------
“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Fuck social media.

You mean... besides SigForum, right? Wink

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
I dumped Linkedin last year after they continued to send me spam and job leads. I'm 70. I don't need a new job. I tried Facebook a few years back and dumped it quickly. Dumped my computer help forums well before those. Never did Twitter. Got my gun forums. That's enough.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have Facebook because there are some Groups that I interact with (genealogy, and old radar veterans). I have Linkedin, but don't actually do anything with it. (Don't know how to get rid of it.) I have 3 gun boards I frequent and a couple of others that I could.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So what’s the story behind the picture? I’ve never seen it before.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I for one will not be shedding my social media accounts. All of the banning, fact checking, and exclusions have been happening for a reason. The left is pissed the right is spreading their message over their legacy media allies with a degree of success. Right now social media has become another town square. Right now it lacks 1A protection for anyone. When you sign the Terms of Service you agree to use their site without any 1A or due process rights. Section 230 of the Communication Decency Act shields providers from liability, but it also gives them the ability to act as a publisher and take down anything they find offensive. I think a fair balance is in order to protect everyone. A facet of the public square is now online like it or not. Laws need to be amended or drawn up to protect everyone in that public square as the framers originally intended.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I had a incident to PASig's on NextDoor. Someone posted an item about their SUV being stolen by some clever thieves, noting that thieves can steal the codes on your car key fob from outside your house and then emulate them on a device and drive away in your car.

I happened to read the Police Report on the incident. They had left the keys to the SUV in their other car, which was outside and not locked. The thieves rifled the car, saw the keys, and took off for the state line. It had nothing to do with sophisticated car thieves emulating fob codes.

Well, I added the police report to the lady's post, and immediately got attacked by another lady for saying unkind things about the victim. I simply pointed out that you shouldn't leave your keys in (or near) your car, which she had done.

Anyway, after two days of being repeatedly berated by Lady #2, I deleted my account.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
She’ll likely turn out to be a new friend....

Eek

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have never been on them but did install a Ring doorbell and flood light cam. There is a “neighbors” feature on it which I thought would be a good idea for any crime close to the house. My fucking goodness, idiots on there posting every damn day, all day. They treat it like its’ Fakebook. You should have seen the posts during the Texan Blizzard 2 weeks ago. It was so bad I said fuck it, if crime is close I’ll just deal with it. The phone was going off every 3 minutes with push notifications.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12658 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:All it’s doing is dividing us and making the people who were jerks and assholes inside into bigger jerks and assholes outwardly.

And it's doing that SO well, it's hard for me to believe it's NOT by design. But I do not believe that it is. I believe that the goals it (AI) has been tasked, and the path to get there to do just has that effect.

If you've not checked out The Social Dilemma on Netflix, I highly recommend you do. It's quite an eye opener.

Posts: 11396 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Never had farcebook, twatter, instacrap, or any of the like. Never will. The missus does FB for the classifieds to sell stuff and her fair share of baiting leftists into having meltdowns. Sigforum is all the social media I need.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
This week I shut down Nextdoor which is a neighborhood app but in my experience has been 85% people just bitching about their neighbors or neighborhood.

This was my experience with Nextdoor as well. I got rid of it after a week or two. It was useless.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I'm not on any of them and never have been. I'm strictly limited to about a half dozen forums like this and some cooking and catering forums.

We were just discussing with my daughter last night on how to handle my 3 year old grandsons interaction with social media. He is already familiar with his way around a I Phone for watching his favorite cartoons. Fortunately she is a school councilor and sees the negative impact of these social media platforms have on kids and realizes the importance of limiting her sons interaction with them going forward. Also her husband is in full support of very limited social media.

My part in this is to try to keep him busy doing other things that do not leave him time for social media. We are lucky to have a lake place where I can get him into fishing, hiking, hunting, berry picking and outdoor cooking and just sitting around a fire during the summer months. His dad and I started him ice fishing this winter.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:

This was my experience with Nextdoor as well. I got rid of it after a week or two. It was useless.

I also only had it a week or two.

Bunch of Karens complaining about their neighbors and teachers bitching about having to work too many hours for too little pay. They ought to thank God they didn't work as a professional in the private sector.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Never had farcebook, twatter, instacrap, or any of the like. Never will.

Same. My wife resisted FB but found it necessary when she was one of the organizers for a big HS reunion. Now it's almost exclusively used for family since all of her siblings and their families are still very close along with staying in touch with some of the people she worked with for two years worth of trips to Europe.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I think Nextdoor has to be the worst. When we moved, I got an account to get news about our new neighborhood. But, I quickly found it to be worthless: people posting about lost dogs and complaining about traffic. I stopped logging on.

Fast forward a couple of years: The local school district is lobbying for money to build a new school and there is a very active Nextdoor thread cheering them on. I posted what I thought was a very reasonable question: According to the District's own statistics, school enrollment has decreased for each of the last three years, so why do we need another school?

The amount of hate and vitriol directed at me was incredible. After a couple of days, I just deleted my account.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Never been on FB. Ever. I hate that company. I knew what they were about from day one. Surveillance.

Once in a while I will read the Twitter feed of someone I am interested in, but I have never signed up with the company in any way.

Sig Forum is my only social media.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have Facebook because there are some Groups that I interact with (genealogy, and old radar veterans). I have Linkedin, but don't actually do anything with it. (Don't know how to get rid of it.) I have 3 gun boards I frequent and a couple of others that I could.

flashguy

Pretty much the same for me, the beer making groups are hosted on FB, I have nothing on the other pages.

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post