SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More than 1M Harbor Freight pocketknives recalled over 'laceration hazard'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More than 1M Harbor Freight pocketknives recalled over 'laceration hazard' Login/Join 
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted
Link

Who would have ever expected a defective product from Harbor Freight?

From the article...
quote:
More than 1 million pocketknives have been recalled due to a "laceration hazard," safety officials announced Friday.

"Gordon Folding Knives" by Harbor Freight Tools were recalled after the company received at least seven reports "of the knife failing to lock" — resulting in at least six reports of laceration injuries, and at least four people needing medical attention.

People "should immediately stop using the recalled knives and return them to a Harbor Freight Tools store," the U.S. Consumer Producer Safety Commission detailed in a news release. Consumers who do so will receive a $5 gift card as a full refund.

Made of stainless steel, the pocketknives have black metal on the handle with "five cutouts on each side of the handle." They are about 3 inches long and include a silver metal belt attached to the handle. One side of the knife has "China" printed on it, while the other side reads "Stainless Steel," officials said.

The knives were sold for roughly $5 online and at the tool store from July 2008 through July 2019, officials said. The California-based company has more than 1,000 stores across the U.S. and sells "great quality tools at the lowest prices," according to the store's website.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well , I have a Bear & Sons folder that I had to do some work on the liner lock to make it safely and fully latch. And it was made in the US. And cost more than five dollars.

Posts: 12237 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m so glad higher quality stores/products never have recalls.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7 reports of injuries over 9 years and 1M products. I would say that not too shabby.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
7 reports of injuries over 9 years and 1M products. I would say that not too shabby.

Yep. And of those 7 injuries, I would wager a lot, if not all, were due to operator error. I have one or two of the Harbor Cheap folders. You do have to make sure they lock. Just like any other. Though on a cheap version, the lock is kind of rough. So you must be persuasive with it at times.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8366 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you use a five dollar pocketknife, maybe you deserve a laceration, ya cheap bastard.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good lord. A knife that is a cut hazard.

Wait until they figure out that matches are burn hazards.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Good lord. A knife that is a cut hazard.

Wait until they figure out that matches are burn hazards.

You might want to actually read the article.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you use a five dollar pocketknife, maybe you deserve a laceration, ya cheap bastard.

More than a grain of truth to that.

Posts: 12237 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Like they say in motorcycles and elsewhere, if you have a $5 head wear a $5 helmet.
Although not everything with the "Made in China" stamp is pure crap, your chances are a lot higher.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

You might want to actually read the article.

I did, thanks. Don't assume.

Anyone that uses a chinese tool and is surprised at its failure is a freaking idiot.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Seriously, if all you can spend on a folder is five bucks, you're a cheap bastard. You can spend twenty dollars and get a decent folder that won't collapse on you unless you try very hard to make it happen.

Here's an example- KA-BAR Dozier Folding Hunter

Hell, I've got one, signed by Bob D. himself. Do you think a veteran knifemaker like Bob Dozier is going to let his name be put on junk? It's an inexpensive folder, but it's not junk, unlike this Chinese crap. You may say that Taiwanese versus Chinese made is a fine distinction, but not really. These knives coming out of the Chinese mainland are garbage.

You can see scratches on the blade of mine because I used it and I had no more concern that the lock would fail on it than any other folder. Nice little folder.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Like they say in motorcycles and elsewhere, if you have a $5 head wear a $5 helmet.

That is the single dumbest phrase I heard while I was involved in motorcycles. No one makes a helmet to cover the value of mine or anyone else's head. Most people's heads are worth into 6 figures pretty easily and yet not one single motorcyclist would spend 6 figures on a helmet.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
The knives were sold for roughly $5

So a $5 knife may have an issue. Shocked.

When you read between the lines and look at the numbers here is doesn't seem to bad. Considering there were over 1 million sold.

quote:
of the knife failing to lock" — resulting in at least six reports of laceration injuries, and at least four people needing medical attention.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many people buy the cheapest thing possible to do the job. It really does not make sense when buying chainsaws, tires, guns and knives. It is all relative I suppose. I met an older woman of limited means, who said she never buys at Goodwill, always at Kmart when it comes to her grandchildren's clothes. Nothing but the best for them, she said.

BTW I have met plenty of people whose heads would not be worth five bucks in the secondary market.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
HF is a store that sells knives made of Chinesium? I'm shocked.

Boss, I like that Dozier. It even has your name scratched into the blade as well. How many posts/years here do I need to have for you to sign one of my blades?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

That is the single dumbest phrase I heard while I was involved in motorcycles. No one makes a helmet to cover the value of mine or anyone else's head. Most people's heads are worth into 6 figures pretty easily and yet not one single motorcyclist would spend 6 figures on a helmet.
Which is why many of them rack up a $60k medivac bill for a ride to the local trauma center. Anyone who would throw a leg over a bike wearing anything less than a good full faced helmet might just be sporting that $5 head you claimed doesn't exist.

To the point of the op, I carry a ~$20 RAT folder everyday, and its been flawless. Anything under $20 is most likely something you really don't want to be cutting with.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Most people's heads are worth into 6 figures pretty easily and yet not one single motorcyclist would spend 6 figures on a helmet.

I'm quite certain that no one would give a plug nickle for my head, but I do wrap it in a $3,500 helmet because it's comfortable and it works, and it replaced the $1,500 one I used to wear.

We think too highly of ourselves, most of the time. The truth is that not long after we're gone, nobody will really know, or care that we existed.

In the meantime, I wish I'd spent on that helmet a long time ago. What a difference it makes.