SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ski lift control system left open to hackers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ski lift control system left open to hackers Login/Join 
Picture of Mutiny
posted
"Officials from the city of Innsbruck in Austria have shut down a local ski lift after two security researchers found its control panel open wide on the Internet, and allowing anyone to take control of the ski lift's operational settings...."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.c...pen-on-the-internet/

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
If its plugged to the internet, it's hackable. I can't remember the number off the top of my head, but the number of devices that still use the default administrator password is staggering.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3649 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Why would a ski left EVER need to be connected to the net?

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

I'm assuming the system is relative new, meaning that it is run off of a computer. The system therefore can receive software updates from the manufacturer. It's much more practical to update said software remotely rather than having to send over a tech with a laptop to the lift's location.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

They can also probably monitor it remotely through an admin console.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Operational performance, safety criteria and maintenance / repair needs can be monitored by the manufacturer.

The entire ski lift has sensors on just about every component up and down its loop and provides feedback on it's operation. Based on the information, the operator (and remote lift ops) can make adjustments, schedule regular or preventative maintenance, or be alerted to something about to break which can have dire and possibly deadly consequences.

Posts: 3589 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post