SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Officer's rifle falls off roof during Buffalo parade
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officer's rifle falls off roof during Buffalo parade Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Hmmm. Interesting commentary from the commissioner.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/n...duylJSBSlXoAdmihgsaI

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Opps Frown

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d think they’d want to be at least a tad more covert up there. If you are going to hang in plain sight, keep the rifle a little more out of sight.

With the reported high winds, even with weight, the rifle was right on the ledge.

It’s like riding in the open bed of a pickup truck, or boat, keep most of the/your weight to the inside.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"When I said 'drop the weapon', I didn't mean 40 feet!!"

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
First, drop no arms.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm no tactical expert but this doesn't look like the best set up to me to be left unattended.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
hey at least it wasn't a p320.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
What kinda fancy-shmancy shooting irons are they a usin’?

”These weapons are not something like a handgun or something where you could just pick it up and the average person would know how to utilize it,” said Jeff Rinaldo, retired Buffalo Police captain.

Must be super high-tech fully semi-automatic with the shoulder thing that goes up and everything.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is ridiculous. If you are going to have "overwatch" you should probably just have the gun ready to go in an open case on the floor or slung over your shoulder with a bipod. That setup seems impractical and unnecessary. Not to mention the fact that the city and department probably don't want that from an "optics" standpoint.

I see the SWAT types on my department and the various federal agencies going all out on cumbersome unnecessary gear all the time because they can, not because they should.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
But with it mounted on the tripod like that it can be set up for remote operation via radio control…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The rifle has features attached that cause Andrew Cuomo to piss himself.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If it had landed on someone they would have counted it as more gun violence.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry chief, SWAT officers aren't there for presence duty, they are your direct action tool, if you want presence, then you get your patrol/duty officers out there in-force. SWAT is a specialty trained unit, use them judiciously. Nobody wants to feel like they are apart of a siege, this was a parade, a celebratory event.

Rifle in tripod toppling over the edge of the building and onto a public gathering, fail. I get it, wind blows, knocks shit over, the weather sucks sometimes...deal with it. Should it have been anchored better, of course. Now your platform is all banged-up because you were nonchalant and casual, maybe ruined; definitely going to need some love and attention from your favorite armorer. Officer's future, probably off of SWAT and back to patrol, you were careless but, not negligent.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
But with it mounted on the tripod like that it can be set up for remote operation via radio control…

You mean like in Breaking Bad.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I saw that episode.
It was Andy Griffith: "The Big House" I think, where Gomer was on overwatch and kept dropping his shotgun down to the sidewalk.
Then, when it mattered, he knocked over a box of light bulbs and the bad guys thought he had a Tommy Gun.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Why the fuck is he setup at the edge of the roof. Back up a little.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Come on, we can’t get off of page one without the obligatory “militarization of the police” rant.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
First, drop no arms.
Clever Smile

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
What kinda fancy-shmancy shooting irons are they a usin’?

”These weapons are not something like a handgun or something where you could just pick it up and the average person would know how to utilize it,” said Jeff Rinaldo, retired Buffalo Police captain.

Must be super high-tech fully semi-automatic with the shoulder thing that goes up and everything.

That must be one of them new, fancy-schmancy modular multi-caliber rifles .

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I can’t really see the pictures in the article linked in the OP well enough to tell, but the last post looks like a bolt gun to me. Not really all that exotic. Given the way the individual has tied himself to the gun, I’d guess he’s not worried about rounds coming in through the window…

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post