SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody got their seeds started yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody got their seeds started yet? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've been getting tired of worrying about frost getting my tomatoes and peppers before they really start putting out in September, so this year I started them on 2/22. My tomatoes are are about 4" now and peppers 1-2" in Solo cups under grow lights. This is my first year trying the Solo cup method and it seems good so far, despite my tendency to over-water.

San Marzanos, Beefsteak, and one Cherry:

Two habanero and two jalapeno:

I'm planning on getting these guys out into the greenhouse the first week of April after transplanting into bigger peat pots. I've gotten a greenhouse heater and some automatic vent openers, so I should be good there. From there, hopefully getting into the raised beds mid May (assuming Mother Nature cooperates).

Maybe this year I can get some fruit during the summer instead of having to wait until late August/September.

Posts: 20109 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Mine are outside and about 7 inches tall, Chocolate Sprinkel Tomatoes and Cherokee Purples. My Potato, garlic, kohlrabi are already bout the same, and my strawberries are blooming. Of course it is a little bit warmer here than where you are.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Mine were supposed to go outdoors this weekend, but we've had thunderstorms all weekend. Even had a hail warning on Friday, but thankfully didn't hit this part of Houston (Very far SW had baseball sized).

Lights are at max height and tomatoes are taller than lights.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put my onions and okra seeds in the ground about 3+ weeks ago. Tons of onion sprouts and many okra plants coming up. Hopefully it will be a good year for both. I will wait a bit longer before I do the pepper plants, as they like it warner then it is right now here.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
With help from the collective here I picked four tomato varieties to start. Thanks! They are doing well. I have 24 in progress. I will plant 8 (2 of each variety) and pass the rest on to friends and family.

Also some pumpkins, cantaloupe and a few flowers.

I like the clear dixie cups to watch the root growth for knowing when/if to up-pot them.

Last frost date here is still about a month away...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post