SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    45 teachers in Pennsylvania resign because of student violence against them
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 teachers in Pennsylvania resign because of student violence against them Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
These are truly feral beings, with absolutely no sense of right and wrong, no conscience, no remorse. Harrisburg is not alone in this problem, which is only getting worse across the country. These are the kids who go "polar bear hunting," who play "the knockout game," and who flash mob mall shops and ravage them in minutes.

Ultimately, this is the fall out of Johnson's "War on Poverty," which was always a cynical plan to wrap up the black vote forever. It has been successful so far. The Democrats destroyed the black family and created a modern inner-city plantation, where all blacks had to do was vote, and handouts would keep coming from the government.

Here is one result. Teachers-- who are these kids' best hope for a better life-- are literally afraid to be in the same room with them:

'I have been hit, kicked and restrained from behind - by FIRST-GRADERS': At least 45 Pennsylvania teachers resign in just three months due to student violence and those that remain are 'begging' for help from school board

At least 45 teachers resigned from July-October, and more have quit since

Complaints came from 3-4 unidentified schools in the PA capital of Harrisburg

On Monday teachers begged the school board for help with the trouble students

Stories included children assaulting teachers and smashing school equipment

The board agreed to set up a committee but said parents need to get involved

By James Wilkinson For Dailymail.com

Published: 11:52 EST, 21 November 2017 | Updated: 14:04 EST, 21 November 2017

Dozens of teachers have quit their jobs in Pennsylvania's capital city amid a wave of violence from students as early as the first grade, it has emerged.

The Harrisburg Education Association (HEA) said that at least 45 teachers resigned between July and October, and more have followed since. Those who remain are now demanding more help from administrators.

'I have been kicked, punched, hit, scratched. I've had a student physically restraining me in front of my other students,' first-grade teacher Amanda Shaeffer told board members, according to Penn Live.

She added that 'many of the personal things that I have bought for my classroom have been broken or destroyed.'

Shaeffer was joined by around half a dozen other teachers and several parents on Monday as she called for faster and tougher steps to be taken against transgressors.

They want the creation of a coalition of teachers, parents and administrators to help address violence in schools, and more consistency in how incidents are dealt with.

They're also calling for better training and support for dealing with kids who are suffering from abuse at home, or mental health problems.

'We aren't complaining. We are here begging for help so that we can help those students,' said HEA President Jody Barksdale.

She called for the board to do something in January, but says that 'not much' has changed in the almost a year since then.

'Teachers and students are being hit, kicked, slapped, scratched, cussed at.... and observing other students flip over tables, desks and chairs,' she said.

'Teachers have had to take the rest of their class into the hallway top protect them during these outbursts.'

Just three or four sites are responsible for the majority of the complaints, the HEA said. It wouldn't identify which schools are suffering.

'We have a lot of schools in the district where things are going really well,' Barksdale said. 'But there are a few buildings where a lot of these behaviors are standouts, and that's why we're here. To address those standouts.'

Superintendent Sybil Knight-Burney agreed to the formation of a group to deal with the problem, but told Fox News 43 she would need help from home too.

'Once we meet and find out that there are needs that we need to have serviced, that means it's going to take parent involvement to make that happen.'

She added that she had no plans to resign: 'I try to see the good, and think that these students and kids need me, and I'm trying to do something positive and different.'

The school district responded by saying that it is 'unfortunate that our teacher organization has chosen to engage in public discourse opposed to factual and substantive discussions.'

It said it hired 130 people, including 30 professional staff, between April and August, but still has 38 professional job vacancies 'as a result of resignations due to a host of reasons and retirements.'

It said it already offers development and mentoring programs for teachers, and has an 'open door policy' if staff have concerns.

It added that its success 'hinges on all stakeholders taking a positive and committed stance on moving the quality of education forward for every student; this includes professional responsibility, accountability and true ownership of the work'.

SCHOOL DISTRICT'S STATEMENT

We find it unfortunate that our teacher organization has chosen to engage in public discourse opposed to factual and substantive discussions.

The District is committed to promoting a safe and healthy work and learning environment for our faculty, staff and students. As we all can agree, student achievement is our primary mission.

Concerning the District's staffing positions, the facts are as follows: The District had 55 instructional vacancies in July 2017, the District hired 130 direct and indirect support staff between April to August 2017, inclusive of 30 professional staff.

We currently have 38 professional job vacancies as a result of resignations due to a host of reasons and retirements.

Urban education is fraught with challenges, opportunities and experiences. The administration of the Harrisburg School District is dedicated and working extremely hard, providing year-long educator development and teacher mentoring programs.

Additionally, processes for Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) and/or Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) are in place throughout all schools. Further, the District has an open door policy to advance communication and address any and all concerns from administrators, faculty, staff and/or students.

As a School District, our effectiveness and success hinges on all stakeholders taking a positive and committed stance on moving the quality of education forward for every student; this includes professional responsibility, accountability and true ownership of the work that puts students first and continues to move our District in the direction of academic growth and achievement.

As a District, we will continue to strive to overcome isolated challenges and resolve differences.

Furthermore, we endeavor to build a culture of collaboration among all stakeholders that is focused on improving teaching and learning in every school throughout the District.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...itting-3-months.html

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Starting in the first grade Wink

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 20 Nuns with 18" rulers will restore order.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
No kidding. I still remember what a ruler across the hand feels like.

If there is no reaction to your action then they will never learn period.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Teachers-- who are these kids' best hope for a better life-- are literally afraid to be in the same room with them:

'I have been hit, kicked and restrained from behind - by FIRST-GRADERS': At least 45 Pennsylvania teachers resign in just three months due to student violence and those that remain are 'begging' for help from school board

At least 45 teachers resigned from July-October, and more have quit since

Complaints came from 3-4 unidentified schools in the PA capital of Harrisburg

On Monday teachers begged the school board for help with the trouble students

Stories included children assaulting teachers and smashing school equipment

The board agreed to set up a committee but said parents need to get involved

SCHOOL DISTRICT'S STATEMENT

We find it unfortunate that our teacher organization has chosen to engage in public discourse opposed to factual and substantive discussions.

Translation: the teachers are lying. Sure, 45 teachers decided to quit their jobs to prove a lie. How about the administrators try this: get out of your offices and into the classrooms. Put cameras in the classrooms, or give the teachers body cams like the police use. While you are at it, put more police in the schools. Give them the latitude to lock the kids up, and fine the parents for damage done.

Make the little punks accountable, not just the teachers.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
fine the parents

Parents?

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Superintendent ... told Fox News 43 she would need help from home too.

Who are you, again, and what planet did you say you were from? Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
IMO, may well be too late for the current crop of lil' darlings.

Doing more "studies" etc etc will not solve the problem, and without real parents at home who teach their kids about acceptable behavior, it will never improve.

And how are 3rd, 4th generations of these "kids" going to teach their offspring any different than what they learned as kids?

As LBJ so famously said, "I will have them niggers voting democrat for the next 100 years".

And he seems to have been right.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
About 20 Nuns with 18" rulers will restore order.

LOL. so true

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
fine the parents

Parents?

FinD the parentS???? It's very sad. Nobody is raising these poor kids. Many of them, to one degree or another... They're on their own.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
You want to get parents involved? First you have to teach them to be parents. No, you are not your kid's "friend." No you don't tell them again and again to do something. No you don't bribe them to be good. Hell, no the teacher isn't going to do this for you.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"FinD the parentS???? It's very sad. Nobody is raising these poor kids. Many of them, to one degree or another... They're on their own."

That's why I described them as feral. It wasn't meant as an insult, but descriptively. Morality is not inherent in us as humans. If it isn't taught, it does not exist. Those of us who have had anything even resembling "a normal childhood" can't even imagine what their life has been like, on their own, in ghetto streets.

A judge I know in Harrisburg described their eyes as "dead." They can do the most godawful violence and afterward, even standing in court before a judge, they feel...............nothing.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Yes, not disciplining students and letting them know they can run amok for fear of lawsuits was an AWESOME idea

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Superintendent ... told Fox News 43 she would need help from home too.

Who are you, again, and what planet did you say you were from? Roll Eyes

I have worked in public schools for pushing 20 years now....if we had more "parenting" out there, public schools would be in much better shape. I know it is popular these days to bash public education(and sometimes, rightfully so), but parenting is at an all time low........can't educate little Johnny if he comes to school 2 days a week. Kids come in(when they come in).....late, hungry, no support at home, mommy playing the best friend role, texting their kid during class....it is a mess.

and schools are asked(or mandated by crazy laws) to do more and more....they are taking over parenting responsibilities...very scary.

What happened in PA does not surprise me. While isolated(for now) from much of that where I am in Maine, student behavior is certainly not getting any better.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Sell the losers.into slavery.
We are.going.to need ditch diggers to restore the infrastructure in Puerto Rico and they might as well be useful.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
I have worked in public schools for pushing 20 years now....

You deserve a medal.
Seriously.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
fine the parents

Parents?

+1

Posts: 2544 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Starting in the first grsde

Starting in second grade, the teachers get these and the authority to use them

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Starting in the first grade Wink

I got whacked on the ass by one of them in the 7th grade. Our principal, Mr. Scovill, didn't much care for something that I had done and brought me into his office to grab my ankles. Funny thing was, back in them days, not one call was made to my parents, or a lawyer, before or after said punishment. Probably a good thing because dad would have beat me worse. I briefly thought of telling Mr. Scovill, "Is that all you got?" Big Grin I thought better of it.

I don't remember now what it was that I had done, but I'm absolutely certain that I didn't do it again. That hurt like a mother and with the holes drilled in it you could hear the whistle before the swat.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
and with the holes drilled in it you could hear the whistle before the swat.

Just like seasoning on the dressing? Done for effect. I made it to my 2nd year before tasting the pain. From the football coach, no less. He took some mercy on us because the English teacher was too wimpy to do it himself. Or he maybe knew he didn't have the strength to make it hurt as bad as he wanted it to.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post