SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you’re coming down to Buenos Aires, Argentina or know someone who is…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you’re coming down to Buenos Aires, Argentina or know someone who is… Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I have a HUGE small favor to ask.

Tourism is slowly resuming and I see American tourists and businessmen more often.
Weather is improving too and our currency is worthless so it makes some sense to come visit.

Been trying to restore my favorite pair of speakers, my one and single bucket list project, since 1978 when i bought them used and already in need of some loving.

Buying online and importing the parts is a nightmare I don’t want to go through. A lot more grief than satisfaction, unfortunately.
Our Government doesn’t see with good eyes us chickens spending foreign currency, specially abroad.

What I need is 2 or 3 waffer thin ribbons/speaker diaphragms (those are essential to me) and MAYBE, but NOT A DEAL BREAKER, a couple of passive flat 12’ disks and speaker repair kits.

Been praying for these most of my lifetime and have been unable to return to the US since 2003 when I was more interested in guns than audio restoration. A man has to know his tactical priorities Cool

Thanks for reading.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Guessing mail isn't an option?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
OK…0-0, I first read this as SNEAKERS…not SPEAKERS. I thought, “that’s a lot of trouble for sneakers”. Puts a funny twist on your post. I was prepared to ask what size shoe you wear and just send you a new pair. Yeah…coffee needed. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nicky,

I'm a bit confused. Thought your leftist government really hammered imports be they shipped in or hand carried through customs. Has something significant changed?

Seem to recall, if memory serves correctly, sometime back when we discussed via email the extreme difficulty and potential options sourcing items for your AMT-ESS-HEIL restoration that you'd get burned financially either way as nothing was available in country.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Can you receive items via US mail, UPS, or FEDEX? If so, it may be worth a try. Can you be more specific on the parts you need? I’d be happy to try to help.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Be glad to help with sending you the parts but I take it that most every package gets stolen. Frown

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
These items MUST be hand carried through Customs by a tourist. There will be no questions asked or trouble.
A foreign national can get through Customs with an elephant with bread slices glued at both ends and call it a meat sandwich and it will get through no problem. It’s us locals they’re after.
It’s a political thing.

That is why buying (and paying with a CC) and having it shipped down here is too much trouble and aggravation.

nhtagmember generosity sent me a Covid clusterfuck velcro patch not too long ago. Within the week i received, hand delivered, a note saying it had reached Customs. Although there’s a $50/year franchise, i had to declare the item and got taxed almost full price including S+H. I happily payed the same day….
Then absolute radio silence for over a month.!! Then it finally reached home and is still worn regularly.
As a trial run, it was enough for me. Don’t want to go through this again, specially for something as important to me as these parts.

Over the years, I’ve received most of the karmas i won here but it has always required the assistance of a traveler.

0-0

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I won't be traveling your way anytime soon 0-0 but hope someone will be able to help out soon. I have a kit built pair of speakers I have been enjoying for 20 years from Danny at GR Research. I can recommend him if you need to source parts.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The specific parts i need (diaphragm ribbons) had been globally out of stock but resurfaced on sale recently.

Main source is the speakers manufacturer but there are a couple of suppliers online. Wisely, they refuse to deal with Argentina.

0-0

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I read his request as asking if someone was flying down his way to consider putting what is needed in their luggage and meeting up. If I was headed there I would be more than willing to help out.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
The specific parts i need (diaphragm ribbons) had been globally out of stock but resurfaced on sale recently.

Main source is the speakers manufacturer but there are a couple of suppliers online. Wisely, they refuse to deal with Argentina.

0-0

If they are not consistently available, would you like someone to buy them now and just hold onto them until delivery can be arranged?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he needs it brought in by a tourist as they don't F with them.
I had a good friend that went down there for years and shot so many dove that they took a picture of a pile of them 5 feet high. I think he got tired of bribing police at the airport going in and coming out. He hasn't been for around 10 years now (that I know of), but I'll ask him anyway.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the pleated strips in the Heil?

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
a couple of passive flat 12’ disks and speaker repair kits.

0-0

That's a big speaker. Smile

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

If they are not consistently available, would you like someone to buy them now and just hold onto them until delivery can be arranged?

Not worth the trouble.
One of my dearest friends here at the board has been holding a replacement crossover that i bought with a cash karma for clise to 10 years now.

Aiming small, the metallic thingies are good enough if i ever get hold of them.

There’s absolutely no particular rush right now, just please, if you know of somebody, remember me.

45 years being patient…

0-0

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We will be flying into Buenos Aires next February and would be glad to help although I'm not sure what it is that you're looking for. If that time frame works email me and let's see if we can work it out.
Eddie
eddiefort at gmail dot com

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
100% import duties for those wondering, if it even gets through. Things need to be made in the Mercosur region to avoid (so lowly vehicles like a Honda CR-V cost $70K USD).

I once flew down with a laptop and an $80K piece of software installed to drop with my engineers in Montevideo because the $1200 plane flights were cheaper. I was visiting my brother while there so as the OP states, nobody questioned a laptop in my bag.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a clear idea of the part that you’re seeking. I have a pair of Apogee Acoustics “Stage” speakers. Each has a 7/8” wide x 3’ long ribbon that serves tweeter and midrange duty. Is that what you’re looking for? This website claims to have parts:

https://www.apogeeacoustics.co...rsapogeeribbons.html

Caveat: I’ve never ordered anything from that website.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The ribbons/diaphragms are (model-series) specific. Must come from ESS or a reseller.

In this case, the 689-1107 ribbons. Need two (2), want three (3) to keep a spare, IF at all possible.
There were a couple of resellers online but no clue if they have new stock. All of them, including the factory, were out of stock 6 months ago. Factory currently has them on sale.

https://essspeakers.store/collections/parts

Yes, you don’t want to carry these babies around, they’re heavy.

OPTIONAL: The ESSPR-12 flat disks are passive radiators. They move along with the powered mains.

The ESS HEIL AMT were a thing back in the day and became a cult thing since then.
Seems that until the 80’s most good audio equipment was manufactured to better standards and quality and built to last. Big too.
Late 80’s the trend changed to smaller models more suitable for reduced space apartments and to be replaced more often. That is my understanding.

Anyhow, I fell in love with the sound of these speakers during my mid-teens. A friend and neighbor owned a 10’ model. When I moved to Belgium after school I found a pair of 12’ in need of repair and have held on to them ever since. Have listened to much better hardware but none has made me doubt about then. They’re sinply the sound i love, no competition.

0-0

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
These speakers are 12 feet?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post