SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When a Medical “Cure” Makes Things Much, Much Worse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When a Medical “Cure” Makes Things Much, Much Worse Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Well, the cure for my marginal high blood pressure caused me some very severe side effects, some of which I am still recovering from, and it has been about 6 weeks since I got off that crap.

Wife has a childhood girl friend in Germany, had the precise same results from the same medication, although she had been on it for 4 years.

My wife was on a prescribed medication, the side-effects from which she'll likely never recover, and, if she's not careful, may someday leave her a paraplegic Frown

It was one-or-another of the acid reflux meds. Unfortunately a side-effect was severe magnesium depletion. When she switched doctors, because the old one was blowing her off over some concerns she kept raising, she got a late evening call from the new doctor telling her to get to the emergency room RIGHT AWAY, as her magnesium levels were so depressed she was in danger of imminent heart failure!

That same medication depleted her calcium levels so badly she now has a broken back. One wrong move and...

Turns out these are known side-effects of that medication.

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Was at the doctor's for my quarterly check up about a week ago. Blood pressure was 127/72 without medication. They had me on 4 different medications at one point.

I have marginally high blood pressure. (Was up to averaging around 150/90 at one point.) With lisinopril (5mg) it's been averaging around 130/80. When I went on a carb-restricted diet, recently, with intermittent fasting, it all-of-a-sudden dropped to 115/70.

Turns out ketosis can lower your blood pressure. I posted this video in another thread, as well:

quote:

A group of people who tried this method for three months not only lost weight and body fat, but also saw a decrease in blood pressure due to a hormone that's related to aging and disease.

So why don't doctors, who are supposed to be looking out for your health, prescribe diet and exercise before drugs? Drugs, like surgery, should be a last resort, not first.

I would note, btw, that I am not overweight by today's standards. 6'4" tall and only ±193 lbs. at the moment. But I am marginally overweight, well, fat, for my frame. I was down to hovering around 186 lbs. when my blood pressure dropped.

Cause most people won’t do it. Americans tend to be lazy shitbags in that regard. I see 3-4 patients a day who come into the ER with headaches because their blood pressure is 200/100 with a history of hypertension but refuse to take meds, exercise, or diet. Now multiply that by millions of people. There’s a reason why diabetes and hypertension are significantly worse in this country when compared to other first world countries

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently it does happen, or there would not be things like this: How To Find Out If Your Doctor Is Being Paid By Pharmaceutical Companies, no?

Heading: "Your doctor may be earning some extra cash to speak for pharmaceutical companies or advise them."

And that's part of the Sunshine Rules to make it transparent which doctors and medical practitioners are being compensated by any pharma or medical device company.

Ramius is right. The US has a lot of regulations with heavy penalty with giving benefits to doctors like even free meals, seminars, etc. The intent and impact is there can be no possible appearance that a physician is benefitting from his prescription, support, and favorable opinion of a drug or medical device and any such benefits or compensations be recorded and reported to the government for publishing.

But regarding medical cures making things worse, well yeah! I'm amazed at commercials touting the cure for hiccups then the hurried disclaimers that say: "Side effects have been known to occur such as rashes, irritation, hiccups, depression, cancer, suicidal tendencies, and sudden death in some cases." But go ahead and let your doctor know you're interested in our medicine.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
How does one fast for 18+ hours without getting so hangry they whoop somebody’s ass?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

More than half of doctors in the U.S. receive money or other blandishments from Big Pharma and device manufacturers. The amounts can be stupendous: Some doctors have received tens of millions of dollars to implant certain devices or to promote certain drugs.

For those who think government agencies such as the FDA is there to protect the patient:

quote:

...virtually all research is now conducted by industry and genuinely independent research has all but vanished.
Even most “independent” research, such as that conducted by the National Institutes of Health, is now “partnered” with industry, making our reliance on industry claims nearly complete.

Guess who the FDA relies upon for their judgements?

When a Medical “Cure” Makes Things Much, Much Worse

Guess who's angling for big money jobs in Big Pharma after their time in the FDA?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Doctors don't tell people the equivalent of "You're a fat, lazy bastard who needs to quit smoking, eat a vegetable, take a walk, and lose 30 lbs" because, many times, the rate that they get reimbursed at is directly linked to YOUR PATIENT SATISFACTION SURVEYS. Do you really expect them to give you (proper) advice that's going to piss you off knowing full well that A) you're not going to follow it and B) it's going to take money out of their pocket when you trash their Patient Satisfaction Scores?

That's the reason that antibiotics get prescribed for known viral illnesses. They don't want to get a bad survey.

And we're worried about the influence that "Big Pharma" has on their prescribing habits when "Big Brother" is cutting their reimbursement if they don't kiss more ignorant asses and write whatever Rx they demand.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a doc try and put me on cholesterol meds. My cholesterol is fine. "Someone your age...."
"No".

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cause most people won’t do it. Americans tend to be lazy shitbags in that regard.

^^^^This is the absolute truth. ----- Notice he said "most people" not some few people.

My Doctor does not nag me to get more exercise because I am obviously fit, we do talk about gym memberships, and he suggests that I return to long distance bicycling.

The last two weeks the gym has been crowded with people being shown how to use the equipment. Many if not most absolutely need to lose 20 pounds or much more, most have next to no muscle tone. If this crowd stayed on the gym could afford to double its floor space.

However, it is only the New Years Rush, most will be gone by February and things will be back to normal.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'd bet there are a handful that receive large amounts and most of the rest get some free pens. The regulations have changed A LOT in the past few decades.

Coffee mugs, pens, paper all went away over 10 years ago. Device manufacturers have had more leeway than pharma but are moving the same direction.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
My former Doctor prescribed me cholesterol meds as my trigs were high.

Speaking as a cardiologist specializing in this area, medications are rarely the first step for treating high triglycerides. Avoid alcohol, high-sugar foods, lose weight; then fish oil. But medications should be reserved for extremely high triglyceride levels.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One major problem with medical education is that as physicians we are highly skilled and trained in "disease management" - what we were not effectively trained to do was to be highly adept in "health management".Some estimates are that fully 75-90% of health issues in the USA are caused by diet and lifestyle choices. My success rate in getting patients to follow a healthy diet, to quit smoking and exercise is abysmal - so I am oftentimes forced into disease management. As I have gotten older and see this pattern, I have become disillusioned with medicine AS we practice it. Patient satisfaction surveys, insurance company meddling, high overhead, etc all conspire to to reduce us to advanced first aid stations. It can be done correctly, but it is difficult in our current environment.

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post