SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There is No Better Way to Sharpen Your Lawnmower Blade Than This
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There is No Better Way to Sharpen Your Lawnmower Blade Than This Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
How timely a subject!

I have 3 dull, as in blunt, shovels and 4 dull hoes.

I have a drawer full of hand files but have little patience to use them.

I just got delivered by Amazon a Bosch 4 & 1/2 inch angle grinder, have not used it yet. I will get a flapper disk like you’ve recommended.

Thanks for the topic!

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, marksman41.

For a balancer, I use one of these: MAXPOWER 339075B Magnetic Wall Mount Blade Balancer

Kinda spendy, but, man, does it ever work. If a blade is even the slightest bit out-of-balance, it'll show you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
At over 80$ for a set of blades for a 50" Cub Cadet, you bet I'll be resharpening them. In fact, I'll keep resharpening them until they get to the point..dings, dents or broken..and they are no longer useful.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is No Better Way to Sharpen Your Lawnmower Blade Than This

R.B.G. 712

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Yup. Angle grinder, flapper discs, and an All-American Sharpener jig FTW. Add a good blade-balance tester and Bob's your uncle.
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've got a potentially better way: Replace them with factory sharpened blades.

A new pair of factory blades for my Honda mower is less than $30.
The blades for my commercial-grade ZTR mower cost considerably more than $30 each, much less per pair.

Dayum - How big a mower you got? Bob-Cat Predator Pro 61" or Hustler Super Z 60" are +- $20 ea x 3.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/Blades

Oregon G5 gator blades are considered the best going by most and they are under $25 ea for a 60".

https://www.oregonproducts.com...ade,-21%22/p/596-347

I use a flappy disc on a Makita handheld grinder and go for a sharp edge. New blades are typically credit card sharp - I don't want a razor edge but I do want my blades sharp. I use a Dewalt 1/2" impact driver and changing blades are a snap.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Kinda off topic -- blade steel is pretty mild, would hardening the edge be a no no? Stay sharp longer but more prone to chipping or breakage and a danger as such?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8358 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a balancer, I use one of these: MAXPOWER 339075B Magnetic Wall Mount Blade Balancer

Years ago I got a Magnamatic balancer after using a neighbor's that he had from the 1960's. Kind of pricey, even on sale, but like the Maxpower model these types of balancers are the cat's meow!

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:

Years ago I got a Magnamatic balancer after using a neighbor's that he had from the 1960's. Kind of pricey, even on sale, but like the Maxpower model these types of balancers are the cat's meow!

I used to just hang them on a finishing nail on the wall and made sure it was level. Seemed to work OK.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I think you absolutely could heat treat them as long as there is a good temper for the steel to reduce stress and toughen.

$$$

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I used to just hang them on a finishing nail on the wall and made sure it was level. Seemed to work OK.
I tried the nail trick on my blades. Because of the way they're shaped they wouldn't sit normal to the axis of the nail. Instead they'd flop over. Then the bearing surface wasn't very bearing-y.

I also looked at every economical balance tester I could find. Found many of the same kinds of complaints about all of them.

Admittedly: I'm a bit of a tool junkie. I just plain like good tools.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a zero turn xmark(toro) 42 inch. Has 2 blades. I take it to the dealer and they replace both sets and change oil and tune engine for $100. It’s so heavy I couldn’t get under it if I tried. We have Sandy soil and I have almost 2 acres of lawn and mow every other weekend. The sandy soil sandblasts the blades dull

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This is my outfit

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh. I hadn't noticed anything in the thread to suggest the topic was limited to push mowers.

Perhaps I missed it? Can you point that out, please?

RogueJSK’s reply is what I was referring to, he’s talking about replacing the blades on a residential type Honda walk behind or push mower which do run $30 a set.

Of course blades on a commercial machine or a large one of any type wouldn’t get replaced like this. We’re just going by what Honda recommends.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Kinda off topic -- blade steel is pretty mild, would hardening the edge be a no no? Stay sharp longer but more prone to chipping or breakage and a danger as such?

I would stay away from hardening them. They will last longer but the failure mode will be much worse.

Hit a hard object.

A "soft" blade will ding, bend or nick. Plenty of time to realize something is no bueno and stop.

A hardened one is more likely to shatter. Causing shrapnel and a massive unbalance on the shaft.
No chance to shut down before mower damage

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have two sets for my 60” Dixie Chopper. I swap them out at 20-25 hours.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup. Angle grinder, flapper discs, and an All-American Sharpener jig FTW. Add a good blade-balance tester and Bob's your uncle.

Nothing wrong with having all the tools, and doing it yourself, but if you add up all the stuff, it's a lot of new blades for a regular push or my JD 130, a new set of mulching blades is $35, regular blades a bit less, unless you go to the big box store and they want $50+

Ace Hardware near me, good ol local country ACE has a guy that sharpens blades, $20 for a pair.

That alignment doo hickey is $200, the balancer $80, 10 flapper disks $40, The Dewalt angle grinder $80, that's $400 or 20 sharpenings or for me, 10 to 20 years of having someone else do it or buying new blades...

Probably buy a new mower in that time frame, or two....

Still, you probably get a better edge and a lot of satisfaction sharpening it at home.

Posts: 23562 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I switched to flapper discs this year. Way better and faster than grinder wheel or Dremel.

Steve's Small Engine Saloon video on YT (can't get it to embed)

To get Youtube shorts to embed you have to change the URL manually to the regular video URL format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3F-sjt_1ms

Posts: 3390 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Still, you probably get a better edge and a lot of satisfaction sharpening it at home.

This.

Like changing my own oil - I know it's done correctly and on my schedule. I've done the drop off/pickup to sharpen the blades and I didn't like the feeling of having someone else do for me what I could so easily do for myself.

Yeah, I get the "my time is precious" argument. For some it's a large cost/benefit savings. For me 30-45 minutes to sharpen 3-4 blades every few months is something productive to do, and satisfying when it's done.

Cost of the gear vs. new blades - four blades for me each year would be about $60 (if I get the cheap ones). Seven years and the gear is paid for, and I've been using the same blades for the past five years. Should see another couple out of them before they need replacement.

Everyone's needs are different. This set up will work well for me and the 2+ acres I maintain. I've found this thread to be extremely helpful.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve been doing my Honda push mower blades that way since I bought it when we moved to TX. It actually has two blades one is bendy and the other straight. I guess it’s for mulching. The flap sander is better around and over the shaped blade.

When I had the three blade zero turn I used the bench grinder as the blades were straight and I couldn’t screw them up.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
My dad always claimed doing it with a proper file by hand was the best method. Might have to try a flapper wheel. I like to try and get one sharpening out of a blade before buying a new one.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post