SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “Dangerous and ridiculous” - my guide to gift giving
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Dangerous and ridiculous” - my guide to gift giving Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
My wife had been saying how difficult it was to pick out a gift for me. Thats certainly true to an extent, as being an adult nearing retirement age there’s not much that I need that I don’t have, and honestly not a lot that I want that I don’t have. But I always say it’s the thought that counts, and I like all manner of toys and cool things.

Today I mentioned that I was still hoping for a flamethrower, and she said “that’s dangerous and ridiculous”. My response was “dangerous and ridiculous are two adjectives that describe a great gift!”

My guide to gift giving goes something like this:

1. It should be useless, as in a toy. I don’t think buying me the garbage disposal I need is a good gift.

2. If it is useful, it should be unique, or best in class. A knife is useful, but a unique or really cool knife is a good gift. A standard box knife isn’t a good gift, even if I need one.

Now I’ll have to add that anything dangerous and ridiculous is probably a good gift.

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there, and if you got a gift that was dangerous or ridiculous, please share!

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nothing crazy here, just the last 1 books of The Expanse series & some steaks for the grill

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Check the Regara thread, and betwen payments, insurance, and maintenance, never worry about another gift again. And oh yeah, don't forget the medical bills/rehabilitation.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I know a guy giving away a wing suit and BASE rig.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I like to give thermopops or thermapens.
They are very pointed and dangerous. A quick punch to the chest of your home invader, you can tell them in a few seconds what their actual heart temp. is.

Or maybe I'm reading the thread wrong.

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought my 2 nephews 10/22's and my niece a nice pink 10/22.
When they moved out to the desert (29 Palms), I got them a 6 ft trebuchet kit.

My SIL, who is a pretty all around cool and down to earth woman said the same thing about my gifts.

"No shit! That's why I bought them!"
Those kids LOVE their crazy uncle!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Years ago I bought my 2 nephews 10/22's and my niece a nice pink 10/22.
When they moved out to the desert (29 Palms), I got them a 6 ft trebuchet kit.

My SIL, who is a pretty all around cool and down to earth woman said the same thing about my gifts.

"No shit! That's why I bought them!"
Those kids LOVE their crazy uncle!

Thumbs up! Crazy Uncle/ Great Uncle( in which I aspire to be )!

ARman

Posts: 3154 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I have a nephew who would love a trebuchet Big Grin. Didn’t think of that.

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
had a friend take the regulator off of one of those bush burning propane torches ..... you should try it.. I did.... about as close to a legal flame thrown that one can get.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
had a friend take the regulator off of one of those bush burning propane torches ..... you should try it.. I did.... about as close to a legal flame thrown that one can get.

Big Grin I like what you have to say and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flame throwers are legal, why settle?

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Big Grin I have a nephew who would love a trebuchet Big Grin. Didn’t think of that.

I can't find the website, but you can get kits for catapults and trebuchets in sizes ranging from desktop to "I'm going to mess up your castle" size.

When I got the kids the 6ft one, they had unlimited access to rocks and wide open spaces. On the other side of their fence was Marine Corps Base 29 Palms.
There may be a story on how far a sidewinder (snake, not missle) can fly. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post