SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    O' Mighty Sig Forum, Which is the Best Stock to Buy That Pays Dividends?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

O' Mighty Sig Forum, Which is the Best Stock to Buy That Pays Dividends? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Another approach is forego home ownership, plan to rent instead, and keep your capital in investments.

I have known people who did this. You avoid debt, for one thing. They figure the cost and bother of maintenance, and the tying up of capital, as well as pricing where renting is cheaper than buying, justifies this stratgy. Others do not wish to look at their residence as an investment, capital, etc, but put a higher value on the security of owning.

Actually, Ben Graham lived in rented housing all or most of his life, IIRC. Graham is the father of investment analysis, who wrote the book(s) and taught Warren Buffett the trade.

I had a supervisor who did this. He would never own his own home. In San Diego, where it was cheaper to rent than buy most of the last 50 years, he cited many examples. He was older, lived with his wife, kids either grown or out of the house, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
How bout if Ford goes to $18, $27 or $39? It's been there before. What kind of interest/profit have you made then?

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
How bout if Ford goes to $18, $27 or $39? It's been there before. What kind of interest/profit have you made then?

How bout if Ford goes to $2, $4, or $6? It’s been there before. What kind of interest/profit have you made then?

What might cause that? Dividend cut might do it.

It is speculative. If it works out, you are golden. If not, well, you can dream, I guess.

Remember, an investment is a speculation which worked out well, while a speculation is an investment which did not.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Another approach is forego home ownership, plan to rent forever...

I don't want to keep a day job when I'm 89. Sure, I could pick a few stocks with untapped potential with one ridiculously easy trick. I don't look at my residence as an investment, I look at it as mine. It doesn't belong to someone else. It doesn't belong to a bank. When the water heater died, I replaced it in a few hours myself. Being debt free was my ultimate goal, I wish the best of luck to anyone else trying to achieve such a thing. Big Grin

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Ford's dividend is 60 cents a year per share, and shares are about $10.

For $100k, you'll get 10,000 shares.

10,000 x 0.60 = $6k per year in dividends, or $500 per month, minus taxes.

All subject to the performance and risk of one company, whose recent performance does not inspire confidence.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay off your house.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
JAllen knows what he is talking about. One would be wise to listen to listen to his experience.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd put the money into the house purchase. Without a mortgage payment, (or even a much lower one) you can use the monthly increase in freed up cash to then buy stocks or invest with.

Stocks can go up or down at a whim, but you always need a place to live, and a mortgage payment always has to be paid every month, even if you lose your job. You could bag groceries at the local grocery store and be able to pay the bills in a normal, paid off home.

Here in Florida you pay an extra 5% of the sales price of the home if you buy it with a mortgage between doc stamps and the other associated fees, closing costs are around 6% on a purchase with a mortgage......if you're paying cash they're right around 1% of the sale price.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d suggest you look at investing in several, rather than one stock. Look into REITs, especially healthcare REITs. You can get dividends 8%-12%, plus good historical annual growth.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'm enjoying the stock/dividend discussion...pay off the house!!!!

Then, invest what would have been the monthly mortgage payment in the market if you want. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
While I'm enjoying the stock/dividend discussion...pay off the house!!!!

Then, invest what would have been the monthly mortgage payment in the market if you want. Wink

Do it each month. Dollar cost averaging will almost always beat making a lump sum buy and hope you are timing the market correctly.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3456 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You want dividends? Try the REM ETF. I make no comment on equity growth.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post