SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    O' Mighty Sig Forum, Which is the Best Stock to Buy That Pays Dividends?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

O' Mighty Sig Forum, Which is the Best Stock to Buy That Pays Dividends? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Overall, the situation is kind of like this... $50,000 to $100,000 to invest after a down payment on a home. The return on a dividend might be able to match the monthly payment. Net cost may be $00.00.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Don't buy just one stock! Research ETFs that pay dividends.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You expect the dividends of $100,000 to equal your monthly mortgage???

In order to see if that’s even possible, we’ll have to know what your annual mortgage is then divide that by $100,000 to determine the dividend payout your looking for and how it compares to what’s available.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19695 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
You expect the dividends of $100,000 to equal your monthly mortgage???

Yeah is this even possible?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Maybe his mortgage is like $350 a month?

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Unless you’re talking about a sizable down payment on an inexpensive home I really don’t see it happening.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Ford's dividend right now is ~6.3% .
However the stock price now is near its 2012 low at $9.46 closing Friday at $9.55.
And there is Wall Streets contention that it needs to lower the dividend. Ford responds that it will not.
The Shadow Knows.
Quick math has $100,000 producing $872 monthly before personal taxes.
Some analysists peg it's downside potential at $7.00 a share.
FWIW & good luck

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just so you know, in my experience stocks that pay a very high dividend can be very risky. So you may lose a significant portion of your investment.

BUT, my favorite dividend stock isn't a stock at all, but is a limited partnership, Dominion Energy Midstream Partners LP (DM), it pays 8.8% currently. It's affiliated with Dominion Energy, an electric and gas utility in Virginia. It owns pipelines and the Cove Point LNG facility, one of two operating LNG export facilities in the US. They just started shipping LNG this year, but LNG exports are part of President Trump's plan to increase US exports. The units are down 47% so far this year....

Other good dividend stocks include AT&T (T) at 6%, down 15% YTD; Royal Dutch Shell (RDSA) at 5.95% down 5.3% YTD; and Toyota Motors (TM) at 4.83% down 3% YTD.

Yes, I own all these stocks.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You want to have the earnings from the stock investment pay your mortgage. Others have already mentioned the risk.

Or, you could take that money, buy the house without a mortgage and eliminate the stock investment risk.

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
SOOOOO you want to invest $50 to $100K that pays out a monthly equivalent of: $_________ .

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Here is some free advice I got years ago which worked for me. Paying interest is often greater than earning interest, or they wouldn't be in business. Put the 100k toward your mortgage & keep paying it down. You'll save more from a paid-off mortgage than you'll earn investing it.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You don’t give all the essential numbers but I’m suggesting to not do this.

If a stock dividend from $50-100,000 will cover the payment, it means the mortgage is likely less than this. Just pay for the house all cash and forget the mortgage.

I have had the pleasant situation of having considerable equity in my homes for many years. I can’t tell you how many times I thought I should take a bigger loan and invest the cash. After all, that’s what I did, manage investments. I resisted this impulse, and am I glad. What agonies, and foolish decisions, would likely have been forced on me in the 2007-10 sell off! Not only did the stock market sell off but home values were very hard hit. Our home declined about $1 million between 2007 and 2013 when we sold.

My suggestion is buy the house for cash, then take the amount of the payment you would have had and put that in a low cost fund, ETF, etc. every month. Reinvest the dividends.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wall Street just loathes Ford because they play "outside the park". Instead of financing every nicle and dime they spend they actually put their after tax positive income into what could be considered a basic Savings Account. BTW, that Savings Account is actually a well managed Mutual Account run by Ford. End result is that Ford doesn't "play" with either the Banking System or Wall Street Brokers. Which pisses both systems off to no end and the result is poor ratings.

Note, unlike GM or Chrysler, Ford did NOT need any bailout loans during the collapse in 2008, they battened down the hatches and used their accumulated cash fund to keep the company whole.

Long term Ford is dropping the production of Automobiles in favor of SUV's and Light Trucks and that is a move I don't find much appeal in. However I enjoy driving cars and think that if Ford were to produce a V8 powered variant of the Fusion styling scheme they would have a real winner. However my more practical side does realize that the Auto Market is moving towards vehicles that I view as "just another homogenized SUV". Why people want to drive these behemoths I may not understand but I do know that is what the market wants. So Ford is actually moving towards more profitability over supporting a segment that is withering. Good news is they do intend to keep the Mustang and if fuel costs go nuts at some point down the road the Mustang Platform could be widened to produce a LOT of smaller car models pretty quickly.

Bottomline, I am happy with my Ford Stock and plan on continuing to keep my Ford stock and my but more at some point.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Overall, the situation is kind of like this... $50,000 to $100,000 to add to the down payment of your home...

Fixed it for you.

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ford.

Bought some when it was around $2 during the crash, I was a kid and dad said to buy it. Glad I did.

My dad just gifted our new baby about $12,000 worth with an account that reinvests the dividend into more stock.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I won't give you a name here... but feel free to email me.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24166 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Ford's dividend is 60 cents a year per share, and shares are about $10.

For $100k, you'll get 10,000 shares.

10,000 x 0.60 = $6k per year in dividends, or $500 per month, minus taxes.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
You don’t give all the essential numbers but I’m suggesting to not do this.

If a stock dividend from $50-100,000 will cover the payment, it means the mortgage is likely less than this. Just pay for the house all cash and forget the mortgage.

I have had the pleasant situation of having considerable equity in my homes for many years. I can’t tell you how many times I thought I should take a bigger loan and invest the cash. After all, that’s what I did, manage investments. I resisted this impulse, and am I glad. What agonies, and foolish decisions, would likely have been forced on me in the 2007-10 sell off! Not only did the stock market sell off but home values were very hard hit. Our home declined about $1 million between 2007 and 2013 when we sold.

My suggestion is buy the house for cash, then take the amount of the payment you would have had and put that in a low cost fund, ETF, etc. every month. Reinvest the dividends.

I will second the recommendation to pay off your house with the cash.

JALLEN speaks a truth I wish someone had shared with me a little bit earlier.

Being debt free has opened up a ton of options to invest what was previously being sent to the bank.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
What JAllen said is good advice. It makes zero sense - negative sense actually - to take on debt to buy a house so that you can invest cash in the stock market.

The house won't be free if you are covering your mortgage payments with dividends but the value of your stock declines by 50%. Or what if the company lowers or suspends the dividend? Then you're doubly screwed because you lost the income and the news itself will cause the stock to crater.

Most people would be much better off using the cash to reduce the debt needed to buy the house.

Posts: 6064 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post