SIGforum
Wooden cutting boards: how do you treat them?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8240063024

March 02, 2017, 04:12 PM
vthoky
Wooden cutting boards: how do you treat them?
In my kitchen, the answer seems to be, "poorly." And that's really not the answer I'm looking for.

I've got a couple that are very well-used, and in need of some recondition. SF gurus, what do you like to use and how do you use it?

God bless America.
March 02, 2017, 04:18 PM
vinnybass
Food-grade mineral oil on my bamboo.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
March 02, 2017, 04:18 PM
Jim Shugart
I coat mine with mineral oil, let them sit for a while to absorb it, then wipe it off with paper towels.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
March 02, 2017, 04:24 PM
Crom
I've been using this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/How...ner-BBC012/202097756

It seems OK. It has a waxy component that stays around after the more liquid component has soaked in or evaporated.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."
March 02, 2017, 04:34 PM
46and2
Butcher Block Oil / Food Grade Mineral Oil.
March 02, 2017, 04:37 PM
Elk Hunter
Mrs. Elk uses olive oil.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
March 02, 2017, 04:43 PM
Scoutmaster
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I've been using this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/How...ner-BBC012/202097756

It seems OK. It has a waxy component that stays around after the more liquid component has soaked in or evaporated.

That looks just like the bottle in my garage. (I am making four maple/padauk cutting for family right now.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944
March 02, 2017, 04:45 PM
cheesegrits
We use food-grade mineral oil, too. I've been told vegetable oils can turn rancid and ruin the board, so I avoid those.

For the board we use for meat, I hand wash under hot running water with light soap after each use and then dry thoroughly with clean dish towel. Since we keep this board in the cabinet, I make sure to leave it out until completely dry.

For the one we use for bread, I wipe it clean after use, hand wash occasionally, and treat with mineral oil from time to time.
March 02, 2017, 04:48 PM
jhe888
I put olive oil on mine. I've never had one go bad.

It is a cutting board. Eventually they wear out.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 02, 2017, 04:57 PM
AZSIGness
Vegetable oils will eventually go bad. Some sooner than others. Food grade mineral oil is cheap and works well.
March 02, 2017, 05:00 PM
Fredward
I didn't know I was supposed to "treat" it. I just wash mine with soap and water. Been using it since '79. Its teak, I think.
March 02, 2017, 05:20 PM
PASig
Mineral oil

And you don't have to pay big bucks for fancy oil marketed for cutting boards and butcherblock counters either. The $2 stuff from Walmart works just fine.

March 02, 2017, 05:28 PM
anglertoo
Ever consider Polycarbonate (Lexan)?
Doesn't wreck knife edges, dishwasher safe, cheap, literally bulletproof, doesn't wear out and available at Home Depot.
I've given 12 by 18 inch boards to all my kids and friends. All converts.

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius
March 02, 2017, 06:03 PM
Gustofer
Boos Mystery Oil and Board Cream.

March 02, 2017, 06:04 PM
OKCGene
I use John Boos oil, I have his cutting boards. The oil is cheap enough at Williams Sonoma.
March 02, 2017, 06:22 PM
vthoky
Well, that's a neat idea!
We use a bunch of polycarbonate at work, and I never thought to use it as a cutting board.

God bless America.
March 02, 2017, 06:23 PM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I use John Boos oil, I have his cutting boards. The oil is cheap enough at Williams Sonoma.

This. I'm sure I'm supposed to do so more frequently, probably ends up being 2-3 times a year. I've got 3 large, one HUGE and a couple medium boards from different origins, so it's a production....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

March 02, 2017, 06:30 PM
SIGnified
Water w chlorine bleach ... sanitary is good.

Frankly I have gotten rid of all my very nice maple Butcher block cutting-boards and use only semi-soft plastic that goes right into the dishwasher for more efficient and effective tool. Wood is silly for keeping your kitchen microbe-free.

Non-hydrogenated oil's will all go bad/rancid overtime. It is the nature of the molecule.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
March 02, 2017, 07:07 PM
james_1234
Howard's Feed and Wax works great. Much better than Mineral Oil. A bottle will last over a year.
March 02, 2017, 08:18 PM
bald1
I use a homemade mixture of food grade mineral oil and beeswax that has been heated to blend well. Same as the expensive commercial products but much cheaper. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192