SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wooden cutting boards: how do you treat them?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wooden cutting boards: how do you treat them? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
In my kitchen, the answer seems to be, "poorly." And that's really not the answer I'm looking for.

I've got a couple that are very well-used, and in need of some recondition. SF gurus, what do you like to use and how do you use it?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Food-grade mineral oil on my bamboo.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I coat mine with mineral oil, let them sit for a while to absorb it, then wipe it off with paper towels.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/How...ner-BBC012/202097756

It seems OK. It has a waxy component that stays around after the more liquid component has soaked in or evaporated.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Butcher Block Oil / Food Grade Mineral Oil.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Elk uses olive oil.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I've been using this stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/How...ner-BBC012/202097756

It seems OK. It has a waxy component that stays around after the more liquid component has soaked in or evaporated.

That looks just like the bottle in my garage. (I am making four maple/padauk cutting for family right now.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
We use food-grade mineral oil, too. I've been told vegetable oils can turn rancid and ruin the board, so I avoid those.

For the board we use for meat, I hand wash under hot running water with light soap after each use and then dry thoroughly with clean dish towel. Since we keep this board in the cabinet, I make sure to leave it out until completely dry.

For the one we use for bread, I wipe it clean after use, hand wash occasionally, and treat with mineral oil from time to time.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I put olive oil on mine. I've never had one go bad.

It is a cutting board. Eventually they wear out.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Vegetable oils will eventually go bad. Some sooner than others. Food grade mineral oil is cheap and works well.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know I was supposed to "treat" it. I just wash mine with soap and water. Been using it since '79. Its teak, I think.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Mineral oil

And you don't have to pay big bucks for fancy oil marketed for cutting boards and butcherblock counters either. The $2 stuff from Walmart works just fine.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of anglertoo
posted Hide Post
Ever consider Polycarbonate (Lexan)?
Doesn't wreck knife edges, dishwasher safe, cheap, literally bulletproof, doesn't wear out and available at Home Depot.
I've given 12 by 18 inch boards to all my kids and friends. All converts.

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Posts: 177 | Location: North Central Connecticut | Registered: February 24, 2010Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Boos Mystery Oil and Board Cream.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I use John Boos oil, I have his cutting boards. The oil is cheap enough at Williams Sonoma.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a neat idea!
We use a bunch of polycarbonate at work, and I never thought to use it as a cutting board.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I use John Boos oil, I have his cutting boards. The oil is cheap enough at Williams Sonoma.

This. I'm sure I'm supposed to do so more frequently, probably ends up being 2-3 times a year. I've got 3 large, one HUGE and a couple medium boards from different origins, so it's a production....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Water w chlorine bleach ... sanitary is good.

Frankly I have gotten rid of all my very nice maple Butcher block cutting-boards and use only semi-soft plastic that goes right into the dishwasher for more efficient and effective tool. Wood is silly for keeping your kitchen microbe-free.

Non-hydrogenated oil's will all go bad/rancid overtime. It is the nature of the molecule.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
Howard's Feed and Wax works great. Much better than Mineral Oil. A bottle will last over a year.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I use a homemade mixture of food grade mineral oil and beeswax that has been heated to blend well. Same as the expensive commercial products but much cheaper. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post