SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Cavalier King Charles dog owners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Cavalier King Charles dog owners Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They are exceptionally prone to serious health issues, including syringomyelia, where the brain essentially herniates down into the spinal cord space due to the skull shape, causing severe pain and sometimes paralysis, as well as mitral valve disease in close to 100% of them by age ten, as well as allergies, cataracts and bad knee caps. Close friend had one with the syringimyelia and it was horrific until they finally had to put the dog to sleep.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
They are exceptionally prone to serious health issues, including syringomyelia, where the brain essentially herniates down into the spinal cord space due to the skull shape, causing severe pain and sometimes paralysis, as well as mitral valve disease in close to 100% of them by age ten, as well as allergies, cataracts and bad knee caps. Close friend had one with the syringimyelia and it was horrific until they finally had to put the dog to sleep.

I do know the medical issues with this bread. 10 years average age for a toy group dog is low. Most other toys are several years more. But I've an acquaintance that has a 14 year old Cav that's pretty frisky for his age. If our little boy lives a happy life to 10, I'll cry when he goes for sure but have no expectations of much beyond that and I'll be scaring the hell out of 90 at that time if I make it that long so there's that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post