SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Project Veritas' James O'Keefe Emerges Victorious in Second Amendment Fight With FBI
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Project Veritas' James O'Keefe Emerges Victorious in Second Amendment Fight With FBI Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...d-amendment-n2574394

Project Veritas’ James O’Keefe tried to buy a firearm and was denied a few days ago. He later discovered that he was on the prohibited person list regarding the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). Was this an error? Was this over his investigative reporting? The Federal Bureau of Investigation put him on that list. What’s going on? O’Keefe is not a convicted felon. So, it’s no shocker that when he found out his constitutional right to own firearms was infringed upon, he sued. He filed a lawsuit against the FBI earlier this month.

And now, we’ve learned that Mr. O’Keefe has emerged victorious. Furthermore, some key allies in the Second Amendment fight, like Richard Heller, who was the driving force behind the landmark DC v. Heller decision that gutted the city’s handgun ban, said that O’Keefe should pursue finding those who messed with his rights. He added that the FBI doesn’t do things by accident

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The reporting in that piece is so bad, I can't figure out what really happened. O'Keefe got denied "a few days ago," instantly filed a lawsuit, the FBI caved and the store called O'Keefe to say his gun was ready for pickup - and that all happened in a few days? Where did he file a lawsuit, did it get dropped, litigated, settled, etc? What was the FBI's response? Really need more info here.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yep, incredibly ridiculous reporting. Didn't expect that from Townhall.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Many years ago before I became a citizen I went to purchase my first Sig at Manchester Firing Line. I got denied. Jim McLeod who was the owner at the time told me to come back in a day and it would clear.

It did.

No big deal.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Many years ago before I became a citizen I went to purchase my first Sig at Manchester Firing Line. I got denied. Jim McLeod who was the owner at the time told me to come back in a day and it would clear.

It did.

No big deal.

Distant memories of that place and TAG.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Distant memories of that place and TAG.

Same.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
those were some great days I will admit - MFL was sold a few years ago and isn't quite the same. Jim moved on to the shooters outpost and my understanding is that he suffered a great personal loss and he's not been the same since then.

I remember some of the old gang, Tom Brown is still teaching but more at the individual level. TAG is dead as far as I know which is a shame.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Tom was an elite shooter for sure.

A shame it's gone. That was great training and a good bunch of guys.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Prohibited person list is a vastly different thing than having to wait a few days to get your firearm. It means you can NEVER buy a gun at an FFL.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Watch these videos.

O’Keefe is DENIED per the licensees’ statements:

https://youtu.be/J548bKOSRHk

@ 2:25
@ 3:40

FBI caves:

https://youtu.be/5pNzV3MS3tE

What is all the more interesting is per the Virginia Firearms Transaction Center, the FBI NICS database was down most of yesterday. That’s why my customers‘ background check were delayed until today.

That was the fastest NICS Denial appeal on record.

Given that there are almost enough other appeals NOT being investigated that a legal team aiding these folks is going to seek class action status.

My Carnac the Magnificent crystal ball tells me someone with a hatred of O’Keefe illegally entered a pending felony charge against him. Those are harder to check, since it means accessing court records to determine if the data is valid. That usually requires a letter to the court and DA.

The reason the FBI investigated and reversed the denial was an attempt to moot the suit. Had they not, imagine what would be found during discovery. The other legal team helping people whose appeals were lying around covered in dust did get a bunch of interesting documents during discovery.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The reporting in that piece is so bad, I can't figure out what really happened. O'Keefe got denied "a few days ago," instantly filed a lawsuit, the FBI caved and the store called O'Keefe to say his gun was ready for pickup - and that all happened in a few days? Where did he file a lawsuit, did it get dropped, litigated, settled, etc? What was the FBI's response? Really need more info here.

There are so few details in this story that speculation is all we have. The timeline could be explained by this section of the FBI services page:

How Firearms Background Checks Work

When someone tries to buy a firearm, the seller—known as a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL)—contacts the NICS. The prospective buyer fills out the required form, and the FFL sends that information to the NICS. The NICS staff performs a background check on the buyer to verify eligibility.

Prospective firearms buyers who receive a “Denied” status on their background checks may have a state or federal firearm prohibition. The denied individual may choose to pursue a challenge and/or apply to the Voluntary Appeal File.

A “Delayed” message means the NICS team needs to do additional research to verify the person's background. NICS staff work closely with federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies and courts to verify eligibility. In some cases, this can be a time-consuming process.

If NICS staff cannot make a determination within three business days of a background check, the FFL may transfer the firearm, unless prohibited by state law (per the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993.)
Link

It could have been that when he challenged, the FBI could not or would not validate the grounds for denial and regardless of lawsuit, James' gun was transferred. The rest of the mess might still be in a slow roll; outcome to be determined. It becoming clear to me the FBI has been weaponized and if that agency doesn't clean up the plate, its reputation and credibility will forever be in question much like those of the Soviet Union.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Snip

Watch the first video.

He wasn’t delayed.

Per the staff of two stores

where he tried to buy a gun, O’Keefe was DENIED.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yeah I didn't watch the video because I have a sleeping grand child in my office and didn't want to disturb her.....lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The FBI’s reputation is destroyed in my eyes. I feel like a fool for ever respecting them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I like the guys reporting but something stinks on his end.

It is possible that it’s just the reporting but.....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The FBI’s reputation is destroyed in my eyes. I feel like a fool for ever respecting them.

Concur. I wouldn't help them out, no matter how safe I was from prosecution. Eff them. When Comey, McCabe and the others end up in jail, I'll reconsider. Until then, they are a Ministry for State Security and answer only to the Deep State.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
The FBI’s reputation is destroyed in my eyes.

And it was destroyed from within. Not just by the ones who actively wrecked their reputation, but also by the ones that sat there passively and kept their mouths shut.

I wouldn't piss on an FBI agent if they were dying of thirst on a desert island.

Glad he got it cleared up.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Since I am a full time RVer with no physical home address I am unable to purchase a gun. I am retired LE, and legally own and carry a gun but I can’t purchase a gun. Their excuse is if they ever had to contact me about a gun they can’t find me. Really, so I can live in an apartment purchase a gun and then move to a different location the next week and that is alright. I have a cell phone with the same phone number for 15 yrs. They can’t track me down, I have a mail forwarding service that forwards mail to me. This pisses me to no end.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
OP here.

O'Keefe always tries to dramatize events and has overplayed his hand a few times. Were parts of this story staged and orchestrated? I would think so.

but I cut O'Keefe a lot of slack. He did things no one else had the courage to do.

He broke the back of ACORN.

He fully exposed DEM dirty tricksters Bob Creamer and Scott Foval.

He exposed voter fraud in several places.

So when someone shines light in dark corners and informs us of the truth, I don't get all hyper if he stages some showmanship to keep his messaging alive.

BTW, I eagerly await the day when I can say:

"Finally, FBI Director XYZ has cleaned house and
restored broad national respect and trust for the Federal Bureau of Investigation"

I don't think XYZ will be Christopher Wray

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That sucks OzarkWoods. There has to be some way to get around that and legally purchase a firearm if you so choose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post