SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gift idea for woman graduation Navy ROTC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gift idea for woman graduation Navy ROTC Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted
A relative is graduating NAVY ROTC. She will be an Ensign and will serve in surface warfare, in a ship. Is there a great gift I can get for her? Maybe a certain kind of watch? Budget is 500 bucks give or take. Thanks for any ideas.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
My go-to gift for that sort of thing is coins from the Mint. You can do proof sets, silver, gold. They always seem to be appreciated.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
A bugle.

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sextant. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Gold necklace with gold anchor pendant or you could foot the bill her class ring Wink

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Tradition. A watch, and while I have a nice automatic, I’d say a good quartz watch that she won’t have to wonder if it’s keeping good time—she’ll know it is. Hope she really enjoys her time in the Navy.

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Is someone else in the family getting her the sword? If not, that will be the gift she'll always remember you gave to her. Don't forget the sword knot & belt which all together will take you right up to $500.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what Tailhook said

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sword or silver dollar.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watches are good, a nice set of pens (maybe engraved) as she'll be taking plenty of notes is nice also. A SWO should always have a good flashlight/headlamp, not sure on regs and such but, a nice Surefire or, Streamlight is nice to have when inspecting tight spaces.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Paying for her sword from Marlow White would be a huge gift!

https://www.marlowwhite.com/sw...fficer-regular-sword

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Is someone else in the family getting her the sword? If not, that will be the gift she'll always remember you gave to her. Don't forget the sword knot & belt which all together will take you right up to $500.

Excellent!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I agree. The sword, belt and knot are a great choice, and will always be fondly remembered.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Awesome ideas. I will look into the sword, belt and knot. Love this idea. Thanks.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
A rubber ducky?

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Somewhat less than your stated budget, but maybe get her graduation certificate professionally framed?

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’d say it depends on how close the relative is...maybe check with immediate family to see if someone closer (mom, dad, etc) is getting the sword, etc for her- maybe you can contribute.. otherwise, that and/or the watch sound like a wonderful idea.
ETA: just FYI, my Navy husband is saying the sword et al may be over the top for ROTC. This is not the Academy. Nonetheless, nice thoughts.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5331 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
I’d say it depends on how close the relative is...maybe check with immediate family to see if someone closer (mom, dad, etc) is getting the sword, etc for her- maybe you can contribute.. otherwise, that and/or the watch sound like a wonderful idea.
ETA: just FYI, my Navy husband is saying the sword et al may be over the top for ROTC. This is not the Academy. Nonetheless, nice thoughts.

I just had that thought as well. I imagine her proud parents may want to have first dibs on an important gift, so I will ask them first. Thanks.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Just wondering here....

Are Naval ensigns expected to own/have a sword upon commissioning (is it customary)? Is there a time (TIS) or rank that Naval officers are expected to have a sword? How many times in the next few years will she be expected to wear it? Or would it simply be mounted with a plaque showing her name, rank and commissioning date, to be hung on the living room wall?

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Just wondering here....

Are Naval ensigns expected to own/have a sword upon commissioning (is it customary)? Is there a time (TIS) or rank that Naval officers are expected to have a sword? How many times in the next few years will she be expected to wear it? Or would it simply be mounted with a plaque showing her name, rank and commissioning date, to be hung on the living room wall?

You may be onto something...I've attended a few change-of-command and commissioning ceremonies and I don't recall any JO's wearing swords, it was only SO's that had them

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post