SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mechanic Advice Needed. Brake Related.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanic Advice Needed. Brake Related. Login/Join 
posted
The wife and I bought a 2003 F150 for when we or one of our kids needs a pickup. It's in great shape and runs fantastic. The master cylinder is getting a bit mushy and needs to be replaced. I checked the bleeder valves at all four corners and a couple of them seem really corroded. I think they will break off if I just try to open them for bleeding. I have been putting penetrating oil on them for about 24 hours. Is there any other prep work that I can do to help free them up or should I just plan on replacing the calipers if one breaks? I've "you tubed" the hell out of this and there are tons of things to try but none seem "guaranteed". Some real life experience would be nice.

Edit:
Oh, one other question: I came across a bunch of videos about "gravity bleeding" the brakes. Does that really work or is the pump-hold-release a better way to do it?

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Use a very good quality socket when you attempt to open them.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
I would ensure to use box ends on the fittings for sure. You can try Kroil applied liberally as well.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Some heat on the caliper at the bleeder would help too.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The torch, quality socket, and penetrating oil combo worked... I got all four cracked. Now to do the work.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
You may even consider replacing the bleeders.

Gravity bleeding can be hit or miss, I wouldn't ever go with just this. Go with the tried and true pump and hold.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
pump and hold.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Six point socket, or a tubing wrench.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spray them with PB Blaster. Get a good 6 point socket and a cordless impact. Lightly pull the trigger so they get a good impact. Don't just pull the trigger and hit them full blast.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would either clean up the bleeder or replace them, use antiseize on them before re installing.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
The torch, quality socket, and penetrating oil combo worked... I got all four cracked. Now to do the work.

That would be what I would have told you. We have a 99 & 04 old body style

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't see it done but I worked with a former mechanic once. The boss had brought the MC cylinder to work they went out to change it and were back in 10 mins. It is possible to change without having to bleed everything.
Maybe a real mechanic can chime in as to how.
It think what he did was unbolt old mc with lines still attached. Bolt up new mc and bleed it then quickly transfer lines over with someone pushing break pedal while tightening brake line nut.
Probably harder with less clearances in newer vehicles.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
Didn't see it done but I worked with a former mechanic once. The boss had brought the MC cylinder to work they went out to change it and were back in 10 mins. It is possible to change without having to bleed everything.
Maybe a real mechanic can chime in as to how.
It think what he did was unbolt old mc with lines still attached. Bolt up new mc and bleed it then quickly transfer lines over with someone pushing break pedal while tightening brake line nut.
Probably harder with less clearances in newer vehicles.

Yes you can bleed just at the master cylinder. Pump and hold, crack the line at the master. Do this to both lines until all air is out. However, it is better to change all of the fluid in the system.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most reliable and easiest method I've ever used for bleeding brakes is as follows.

1) Remove all the bleeder valves and apply a heavy wheel bearing grease to the threads on all 4 valves. This acts as a seal to keep air from bleeding back into the brake cylinder through the threads when the valve is open.

2) Fill a clear container with about 2 inches of fresh brake fluid.

3) Take a flexible vinyl tube that is a tight fit on the bleeder valve and snap it on the valve and put the end into that container of brake fluid so that it's submerged.

4) Open the Bleeder and pump the brakes until you no longer see air bubble in the fluid you are pumping into that container. Then tighten the bleeder valve good and snug.

5) Repeat at all 4 brake cylinders while insuring that you don't run the master cylinder dry or overflow your catch container. When finished top up the master cylinder and you are done.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The post above is how I have always done it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Same here especially on a clutch slave cylinder.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Same here with one exception.

I open/close the bleeder while someone else works the brake.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post