SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So there is...um...a totally pink house blocks from me
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So there is...um...a totally pink house blocks from me Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
If that picture is of the Owner, color me surprised! Not really.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only problem is the fence isn’t tall enough. About 20’ should do it.

As a neighbor that is what I would do. Or maybe a Hawthorn shrubbery wall.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
I never thought I’d say this, but yay for my HOA.

As for all the ones arguing “but it’s a private property!”, I’d counter that it’s precisely because property rights are essential that that monstrosity should not be allowed: it ruined several other private properties - at least the value thereof.

Would you defend your position if you lived in a more liberal area, say in San Francisco, and your neighbors claimed that your Trump signs were an eyesore, and were driving down the value of their property? Should you be required to comply with your neighbors simply because your views weren't well received?

That's the problem with rights. For you to enjoy your own freedom, you have to respect other's freedom. Otherwise, freedom becomes arbitrary.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Around here this is usually a result of the local government harassing somebody about painting. They eventually break down and paint but choose the most obnoxious color possible.

Not saying this particular homeowner didn't start something, but generally when I see these things it's retaliation for others who have started in with them first.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Spite house.

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There was a pink, very large, pink house on the corner of a street we used to take to get to one of my best friends' house. It was a lighter pink, overall, with darker pink trim.

They did not paint the shingles Roll Eyes

I generally don't care for the colour pink. (I like magenta and rose well enough. Go figure.) But I thought that house was kind of pretty. The house in the OP's post is glaringly ugly, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one of my neighbors did that to their house, I'm having a hard time understanding how it would really negatively impact the value or enjoyment of my house. It's just paint. If the front yard was overgrown, filled with abandoned cars, livestock roaming free, etc. I could see a case against it. But unless there is a local ordinance outlawing garish colors, I don't really have a problem with it.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ And then the time would come when you would try to sell that house. I've seen a bright enough blue across the street from a subdivision slow sales to a trickle.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The kind of people who wouldn't buy a house because of the color of another house nearby are the kind of people who belong in HOAs, so the problem solves itself.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Uh, no. The problem is having bought a house there and waking up one morning to find out that someone has made an eyesore of the house next door. There's nothing OK about sandbagging someone who's made that big of an investment.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The kind of people who wouldn't buy a house because of the color of another house nearby are the kind of people who belong in HOAs, so the problem solves itself.

Yup. So the guy painted his house pink. Who gives a crap? I don't particularly care for it, but what my neighbor does on his own property is his business, not mine (provided it stays on his property). He doesn't get to tell me what color I paint my house, and I won't tell him how to paint his.

Posts: 8677 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Sheeesh - the vandalism that guy would receive if he were in my neighborhood boggles the mind. And, not by my hand!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
Sheeesh - the vandalism that guy would receive if he were in my neighborhood boggles the mind. And, not by my hand!

Glad I don’t live there. Sounds like a crap neighborhood if folks would vandalize someone’s property because they do not like the choice of color.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

agreed. And it works both ways. those that despise HOA's can enjoy living with people like this and his family. win win. everyone is happy.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
What a douche. Doing something like that to a house purely to piss people off — he’s got some demons.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
If that picture is of the Owner, color me surprised! Not really.

Yes, he is the owner. He is the one in a wheelchair from getting in an accident I think around age four. He does not have to work as they are set from the money they got. The whole family is constantly buying expensive boats, RVs, and cars for everyone in the “old home” and I am sure he used the money to buy this house blocks away from his parents and do whatever he wants.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8673 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Yup. So the guy painted his house pink. Who gives a crap? I don't particularly care for it, but what my neighbor does on his own property is his business, not mine (provided it stays on his property). He doesn't get to tell me what color I paint my house, and I won't tell him how to paint his.

Although I have an HOA, I NEVER will again. I have already secured the property so my next home will be in the wooded country where I can’t see the neighbors. Also although I don’t like the color he painted the house and would hate to live next to him, it is his right to do what he wants with his property. Where it gets to me, is this guy is just an ass who loves to annoy people and will do it any way he can.

I am not sure what he does at that house since it is a few blocks away, but when he lived with his parents right behind my house they purposely blasted their car and boat music just to piss people off. They would leave it blasting for however long it took for someone to call the police. I also think they have a police scanner because sometimes I would put up with the he music for over half an hour with my windows rattling and then call the police only to have them turn it down before they arrived.

I would not want to be his neighbor for how he behaves, just as I hate having his parents and other siblings living just behind me still doing some of the stuff. He was the worst so it has improved for me some since he left.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8673 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:

Glad I don’t live there. Sounds like a crap neighborhood if folks would vandalize someone’s property because they do not like the choice of color.

Well, first of all, I'm in California. Worse yet, I'm in the SF Bay Area! Nonconformity is punished here by members of the "tolerant" Left. Many here would judge this home-owner as "evil" because he's bringing down the property values of his neighbors' homes. And, if someone is evil, well, then, they "deserve" to be punished.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That guy is the reason you need deed restrictions and an HOA.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of it but if the guy wants to live in an ugly house and isn't breaking any laws then he gets to live in an ugly house. I'm not thrilled my neighbor is building a granny flat in his backyard but it's allowed and it's right. I would expect the same from him if I did it.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post