SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice - Dealership blew up our engine **Updated with quote on pg2** Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
For starters this is my dads truck. Its a 2015 Chevy duramax with about 80k. He is 84 and not as quick in the mind as he use to be. So ill probably be dealing with this.

He took his truck to a local Chevy dealership because the check engine light came on. They said it was a sensor/valve for the def fluid that went bad. They replaced it, took it for a test drive then called him and said the engine is blown.

We have talked to a small mechanic that only works on diesel pickups. He said that sensor they replaced is mounted next to cylinder #5 (dealership said cylinder #5 is shot) and that they probably over tightened the bolt and broke through to the cylinder. But he would need to look at it to verify.

I would like to avoid bringing lawyers into this (but I think that is our only option). The truck is still at the dealership. I think the next course of action would be to get it over to this other mechanic to verify and get photos.

What do you guys think? Is there any other options we should try first? They are quoting north of 20k to put in a new engine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: walker77,

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Would it still be under the powertrain warranty?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Wait to see what the dealer offers, if nothing, lawyer up

These have a 5yr 100k warranty, if you want send me the VIN and I can look it up for you

You could start with GM customer service too

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It would be a lot cheaper and easier to inspect on their lot. Also maintain chain of custody so they can’t claim things were altered off-site. Can your outside mechanic confirm his suspicions with a visual inspection at the dealership or does he have to take it apart?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Keep this handy, you might need to go up the chain.
Call us
The following helplines are available to answer your call during the listed hours.

CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER
For questions about your Chevrolet vehicle, new vehicles, your myChevrolet account and more:

1-800-222-1020
Monday – Saturday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. ET
Sunday: Closed

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8133 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, if it ends up (which I hope not) being owner expense shop around pricing at GM Powertrain dealers, you need to find a Level 1 dealer. Those are the big boys, buy in volume and get better discounts. Shop price, you would be surprised how much variance there can be dealer to dealer on engines, transmissions, transfer cases. I see you are outside K.C., there must be one of those around but if not there are enough big players that ship nationwide, sometimes with free or reduced freight. I used to be in that business until I retired four years ago.

I still have a connection in the business if it comes to that, my email is in here if you need to go that route. I'll make the initial call and put you in touch with the person you need to speak to, I vouch for her, you will get the best deal that she can give.

Without sounding like a cheap ass don't be afraid to negotiate with the dealership on those but do your research first to have a backup plan in case they don't budge, this after all other avenues have been exhausted but hope that is does not get to that point.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8133 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They owe you a NEW MOTOR, period end of story. They will of course try and weasel out of it but settle for NOTHING LESS! At 80K that motor was just getting broken in.

I work at dealerships.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I'm not sure if I would be able to get pics at the dealer. Sounds like its hard to get to since the cylinder is at the very back

Bigswede, let me see if I can find the vin this weekend and ill shoot you an email.

If I remember right it was purchased summer of 2014. I'm pretty sure the warranty is over.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
They owe you a NEW MOTOR, period end of story. They will of course try and weasel out of it but settle for NOTHING LESS! At 80K that motor was just getting broken in.

Yeah, the changes in dealership and corporate philosophy, two of the three reasons I retired after 47 years in dealer parts department operations.

As I say today, "I had to retire due to a vision problem. Just could not see going to work anymore in that business."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

Yeah, the changes in dealership and corporate philosophy, two of the three reasons I retired after 47 years in dealer parts department operations.

As I say today, "I had to retire due to a vision problem. Just could not see going to work anymore in that business."

Shovelhead, You know what I mean! The dealership will weasel and worm but in the end after going however many steps up the ladder they broke it and are going to have to fix it. They might find a Salvage Motor or equivalent miles which might be OK but THEY BROKE it and THEY are going to have to fix it!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
It would be a lot cheaper and easier to inspect on their lot. Also maintain chain of custody so they can’t claim things were altered off-site. Can your outside mechanic confirm his suspicions with a visual inspection at the dealership or does he have to take it apart?

This is exactly what I would recommend. If possible don't mention that the guy you bring is anything other than a friend. Just tell them you want to see it yourself and keep your ears open to see what the tech might say too. Take phone camera pictures if possible too.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

This is exactly what I would recommend. If possible don't mention that the guy you bring is anything other than a friend. Just tell them you want to see it yourself and keep your ears open to see what the tech might say too. Take phone camera pictures if possible too.

This, bring your friend, pop in unannounced, tell them you wanna see the damage before doing anything, and wave your friend over and let him see. Then go from there...wether it’s confronting them right then with your certified mechanic or waiting until you talk to them or involve a lawyer.

Mrs. Mike had a Nissan Altima that ate part of a spark plug and it scored the cylinder, damaged some valves...took it to them and they called and said they could rebuild the cylinder-new valves new cylinder and labor.....I told them to call corporate-that I wanted a new engin & it was still under the warranty and I’d call my lawyer if they began trying to fuck me over....I used those words and within thirty minutes they called and said Nissan would replace the entire engine and cover all costs.

Sometimes knowing when to be assy about things is better than just being an ass.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Buy a $30 endoscope on Amazon so you can take photos of stuff way in the back and in tight spaces.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Walker, you didn’t say; what’s the dealership’s position on the blown engine? Have they already given you reason to believe they are declining responsibly?

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There’s not enough story to offer real advice. In helping your dad, I’d be talking to the dealer to get their story and asking them why they think the engine is blown and what they think caused the blown engine. I’m assuming it was fine when your dad brought it to them. I’d make it clear that you aren’t just going to roll over and neither will your dad. I’d have your dad make it clear that you are handling everything as far as getting the truck repaired from this point forward. Maybe have your dad give you power of attorney to handle it.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
For starters this is my dads truck. Its a 2015 Chevy duramax with about 80k. He is 84 and not as quick in the mind as he use to be. So ill probably be dealing with this.

He took his truck to a local Chevy dealership because the check engine light came on. They said it was a sensor/valve for the def fluid that went bad. They replaced it, took it for a test drive then called him and said the engine is blown.

We have talked to a small mechanic that only works on diesel pickups. He said that sensor they replaced is mounted next to cylinder #5 (dealership said cylinder #5 is shot) and that they probably over tightened the bolt and broke through to the cylinder. But he would need to look at it to verify.

I would like to avoid bringing lawyers into this (but I think that is our only option). The truck is still at the dealership. I think the next course of action would be to get it over to this other mechanic to verify and get photos.

What do you guys think? Is there any other options we should try first? They are quoting north of 20k to put in a new engine.

They owe you a reason why the engine was blown. However, DEF system going bad is a pretty "normal" occurrence in those trucks (I have 2013), and I can't see how that would result in a blown engine. There is a TSB, and extended warranty, on the DEF for those Duramax's. DEF is exhaust fluid. Not to mention, I can't see how tingling a bolt for a DEF sensor near cyl #5 (I believe, the only thing related to DEF up there is the upstream Nox sensor, which isn't on the block) would break into a cylinder. Cylinders on Diesel engines are fairly stout.

Get the details. The dealership should have said more than just "blown" engine (the reason why).

Posts: 761 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Walker, you didn’t say; what’s the dealership’s position on the blown engine? Have they already given you reason to believe they are declining responsibly?

They quoted him over $20,000 to put a new engine in. I think its safe to assume they are declining responsibility.

Apparently most of the cost is labor since they are saying the cab has to come off.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Next they'll throw some dirt in your fuel bowl and claim you got bad fuel. Everything about these DEF emissions systems are garbage. It makes me want to punch a liberal in the face every time I think about it. I've had nothing but trouble with my system on an $80K pickup. EPA and those that cower to them...need to eat some serious donkey balls. I hate them with a passion. Story after story of dealerships screwing diesel owners because of these stupid engines chasing a ridiculous requirement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

They owe you a reason why the engine was blown. However, DEF system going bad is a pretty "normal" occurrence in those trucks (I have 2013), and I can't see how that would result in a blown engine. There is a TSB, and extended warranty, on the DEF for those Duramax's. DEF is exhaust fluid. Not to mention, I can't see how tingling a bolt for a DEF sensor near cyl #5 (I believe, the only thing related to DEF up there is the upstream Nox sensor, which isn't on the block) would break into a cylinder. Cylinders on Diesel engines are fairly stout.

Get the details. The dealership should have said more than just "blown" engine (the reason why).

I just got off the phone with dad and got some clarification. The (independent) diesel mechanich he talked to said he believes the dealership dropped a bolt in the cylinder when taking off that def valve. Said he had seen it before.

Dad had this same valve replaced by another dealer a year ago. He said it was a recall and didn't pay anything. He said the current dealer said its possible the dealer from a year ago dropped a bolt in the cylinder. I have a hard time believing that. The engine wouldn't have lasted a year. It would be toast as soon as it was started.

I plan on going with him to the dealership on Monday to talk to the service manager. I told him to leave the truck there until we plan our next move. Hopefully we can GM to cover it somehow.

ETA: dad also said they are claiming they found metal chips in the oil.

posted Hide Post
I'd give the dealership a opportunity to do the right thing since the engine went while under their care. If they insist on avoiding responsibility and replacing the engine on their dime I would get an attorney involved. Somebody did something wrong and it wasn't your dad. No way I'd pay 20 grand out of pocket for the dealerships mistake.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post