SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Keep Home Number if Dropping AT&T Home Phone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Keep Home Number if Dropping AT&T Home Phone Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
I know I've read about this in the forum but after quick search came up blank to find that prior advice to someone else.

Right now we have bundled DirecTV, internet, and home phone. Our bill keeps creeping up and we really don't need a home phone anymore so my spouse wants to drop it.

Is there a way to keep our home number outside of paying AT&T. The basic phone cost is $29 but grows to $42 with fees/taxes!

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Do you mean replace your AT&T landline with another provider, but keep the same #? I don't see a way to do that. Then again, I haven't had a landline in 15 years, so perhaps someone else with more direct experience will chime in.

If you mean you want to completely drop the land line and get a cell phone with that #, then I also don't see how that can be done.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
In a prior post someone had a way to move your home number to something on the internet?

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
We finally dropped our ATT land line finally too as it jumped up again. I have ATT Wireless so I could have had the home phone number assinged to an added wireless number but that would have cost another $20 a month. I don't miss the constant barrage of phone calls from telemarketers to our deceased land line and being on the no call list for years did not seem to help much.

We decided to just give up our decades old wired phone number and updated everything to our wireless phone numbers. You could contact your wireless proivder and see what they say but probably doubltful.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You should be able to port your number to any new supplier of phone service, be it land line or VOIP.

First key thing to remember DO NOT CANCEL the local land service first, wait until you have ported it elsewhere.

Sign up with whatever carrier you want and port the number over from ATT they can't stop you from moving it per law.

The thing you need is a new carrier, you could even port it to a cell phone, use Mint Mobile, a cheap older cell phone like a used Iphone 7, keep it on a charger and port the number there, or some VOIP carrier

If you have cable internet, see what the cost is for bundling local line and cable, port the number to them.

How to port a land line to Google Voice

How to port a land line to a cell

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
To keep your number you will need a cell phone to have it "ported to" There are quite a few articles available on the web that talk about this. Too many to link for you but just google "keep phone number when dropping a landline"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Before I went through the hassle of double-porting to google voice, research 'SIP' VOIP providers. Some are really cheap, 911 only, etc. It used to be $2-3/month for 911-only. I'd say $10/month + ~$50 for VOIP adapter would get you a full-featured home phone (voicemail, callerID, etc) You could also skip a VOIP-landline adapter & just have the home # forward to your cellphone(s).

I used 2x Obi100s for a long time as a 'batphone' for the wife-to-MIL in MX before unlimited cell calling. I had a google voice number attached to it for local calls until GV & Obi stopped playing nice (not ported in, just chosen at random). It was $80 well spent. With the GV, I could call the Obi from outside the country, then pass through to the GV to call locally.

I think the newer Obi devices support GV again, but I haven't looked it them in years.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We ported our landline to the VoIP provider Callcentric. I bought a ObiHai ATA (Analog Terminal Adapter), configured it for the Callcentric service, disconnected the house phone wiring from "AT&T"s demarc interface, plugged the Obi ATA into a phone jack, and all the phones just worked they way they always had--except now the 2-line phones had two lines.

We pay $23/month for two lines; unlimited incoming calls; 1,000 minutes of outgoing calls to the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico, and an international calling plan that makes calling all over most of the world dirt cheap. Plus a buck a month for SMS on one of the lines, just for grins Smile

I just reviewed the outgoing usage for all of 2021. Average appears to be ±270 minutes/month of outgoing calls. Highest was 470 minutes for one month. So I could knock $6/month off the bill by dropping our outgoing plan to 500 minutes, drop another $3/mo. for the second line--which isn't much used, and the $1/mo. for the SMS on that line, thus reducing that $23/mo. to $13/mo.

I should probably drop the outgoing call plan to 500 minutes, at least. $6/mo. is $6/mo.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
There we go. I knew there'd be plenty of folks here who knew more than I.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
As noted above, porting your number to a new provider is pretty routine. However, you cannot keep your number if you drop your provider without signing up with a new one first. I usually recommend voip.ms for a very low-cost VoIP provider where you can park your number at minimal cost. Voip.ms charges a minimal monthly fee (like $0.85 per "line" IIRC), and per usage ($0.01/minute for both "local" and "long distance" calls, International rates are country-dependent), details are at their website. We pay less than $100/year total for three lines that have very low usage.

If you have your number ported to them, you can configure it to forward incoming calls to your cell phone (or whatever), or you can acquire a SIP handset (connects to your network, not the old telco circuits), an ATA (Analog Terminal Adapter - translates VoIP into old-style telco connections permitting use of your existing phones with the VoIP provider) or use a "softphone" (software SIP phone running on a computer, tablet, or smartphone) to place and receive calls through the VoIP provider.

Another useful feature provided by voip.ms is their "digital receptionist," a user-configurable automated "operator" that can coach callers to the appropriate destination (e.g. "press one to reach Alice, two to reach Brandon, and three to reach Charlie, press four to leave a voice mail, if this is a marketing call, press five and hang up immediately.")

Voip.ms has extensive help pages at their website, several of which expressly address porting of numbers.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 3 story townhome that I work from so I keep a landline. I use 1Voip as my service & when I ported over from AT&T copper to fiber internet was able to keep my number. $30 a month gives me unlimited US & unlimited overseas service. It is the most expensive 1Voip plan but I talk several hours a month to Europe. No cell phone service puts a phone on all 3 floors & my garage. No cell phone gives me free oversea's calls.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so far!

posted Hide Post
We ported our ATT landline to google voice. Small fee if I recall. Still give out that number. It can be set to forward the call or record it as text and send email notification. No charge after set up and reduces spam calls to cell phones. Any caller not leaving a message and we don't recognized number gets added to google spam list. Definitely set up before cancelling land line

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
You should be able to port your number to any new supplier of phone service, be it land line or VOIP.

First key thing to remember DO NOT CANCEL the local land service first, wait until you have ported it elsewhere.

Sign up with whatever carrier you want and port the number over from ATT they can't stop you from moving it per law.

The thing you need is a new carrier, you could even port it to a cell phone, use Mint Mobile, a cheap older cell phone like a used Iphone 7, keep it on a charger and port the number there, or some VOIP carrier

If you have cable internet, see what the cost is for bundling local line and cable, port the number to them.

How to port a land line to Google Voice

How to port a land line to a cell

Yep. It's called porting as you say. When we dropped our landline in the 1990s, we kept the number as everybody we knew know the number. So we ported it to AT&T and it became my wife's cell phone number.

When we move cell phone services, we also ported the number to the new provider otherwise you get a new number.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Probably the cheapest place to hold onto a number is to use it for a tablet with internet service. iPad internet service with T-Mobile is $10/mo, IIRC, and is a good place to park a number.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Porting it to Google Voice gives you great flexibility. You can forward a Google Voice number to any phone(s) that you own. Monthly charge for Google Voice is zero.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
We parked ours at Number Barn. I wanted to port it to Google but it was just to big a hassle.

If you happen to have a spare phone laying around, then search for the instructions on porting land line to google. (Basically set up month to month cell service with a carrier and port land line to carrier. Go a month or so then port to Google. Can't port a land line directly to Google.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just go to where you want the number and tell them you want to port it to your phone.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Did not have AT&T but we ported our landline number to Ooma.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
When AT&T dropped landline service in our area I just went with Verizon Fios for TV and internet service and they let me keep my same number. It was as simple as that. I think I remember they even contacted AT&T and made the switch for me.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post