SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A ? for those who have swapped T8 fluorescents for LEDs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A ? for those who have swapped T8 fluorescents for LEDs Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have (7) 8 foot dual T8 fluorescent tube fixtures in my shop. Currently (4) of those fixtures have functioning bulbs in them for a total of 8 bulbs. If I remember correctly they are 2800k or 3000k fluorescents they give off a nice warm tone and not a super white light. This amount of light is certainly adequate for the shop as a whole. I have a couple detail lights for closer up.
I was wanting to switch to LEDs mainly so my shop no longer sounds like I have a slew of angry wasps locked up in there from the ballasts constantly buzzing.
Being that I prefer a warmer light I was thinking of 4000k frosted LED bulbs but only putting a single bulb in each fixture spreading the light out a bit more. Will I be much dimmer than 8 2800k bulbs?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
One, not enough information. Two, 8' T8 are not super common, you may not be able to easily find a replacement. Three, you may need to rewire the fixtures for direct wire vs ballast. Four, 3,000k is going to be even harder to find in LED. Most people want the stupid blue colors, so you may need to settle for 4K, which is not nearly as bad as the 5k or 65k.

Lastly color temp is not the same as brightness. Brightness is measure in ft candles or lumen. Color is measured in kelvin.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be doing my garage also however as a test I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed these in my Master bedroom closet. The 4000K color was just fine. I did not want the super bright daylight color. If you don't have a cover over the garage tubes, I would suggest getting the frosted versions

The wiring for removal of the ballast was straight forward and was relatively easy with the written instructions and a check with You Tube. Most of these replacement bulbs are not mixable with standard florescent on the same fixture, however in any case I would replace all of them, I believe you will be much happier.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
8 footers aren't too hard to find these days but they're not inexpensive. 3000k and 3500k are around but if you gave yourself a couple days with 4000k you'd love them in any kind of a shop or garage. I still like warmer bulbs in the living room but have 5000k in my woodshop/workshop. They're white with no blue tint to them and they're perfect for me. I tried 3500 and 4000 before settling on 5000.

your existing lights give off light in 360 degrees so you get some reflection off the housing, LED's only light down, check the beam angle when you pick some out. They generally put out less total lumens than T8's but all the light is down so they usually seem brighter. You do want frosted lamps not clear because clear is harsh.

In spite of the cost and your labor to change things out I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the change.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I've used these:
https://www.costco.com/Feit-4-...oduct.100235288.html

My wife, who hates the super white/bluish LED bulbs, doesn't have a problem with these. Obviously 2700K to 3000K bulbs would probably more to your liking, but I haven't seen those in the tubes.

I'd look to see if anyone carries the 8 foot version.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd try 4000K they are a nice neutral color and provide clarity to what you are trying to see.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had the old style 8' tubes for a couple decades in a root celler/reloading room. I forget the tube designation but eventually the tubes & ballast fritzed out enough replacement was needed.

Somehow the salesman convinced me the new ballast-lest versions would work better for far less cost.

Yes they did.

And the color was just right, not too white/bright & not blue. Sorry I can't give the actual number values, these were just standard home-improvement store off-the-shelf clueless consumer stuff.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being that I prefer a warmer light I was thinking of 4000k frosted LED bulbs but only putting a single bulb in each fixture spreading the light out a bit more. Will I be much dimmer than 8 2800k bulbs?

I experimented with different temps in my shop and opted for the 4000K and UN-frosted bulb.
I am sure you know that you will need to strip the ballast out first.

Using more of a lower temp (2800K) will be completely different than using 4000k even if you need more.
2800K will be much warmer for sure, too yellow for my shop and the opposite 5-6 range is much too harsh for me.

There was a thread recently discussing shop LED's if you can find it.

EDIT: found it > https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/8430069154/p/1

YMMV

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Looking to retrofit/ballast bypass my current fixtures.
I am looking at these bulbs as they are 4000k and frosted.

CNSUNWAY LIGHTING 8FT LED Light Tube,45W (100W Equivalent), 4000K, Frosted Cover, Dual-Ended Power,Ballast Bypass, Instant-On, Replace T8 T10 T12 Fluorescent Bulbs (4 - Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D..._api_i_E3.rCbVCE4TZ1

Home Depot also carries Halco brand.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post