SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some Toyota Tundra input - any one year better than the others?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some Toyota Tundra input - any one year better than the others? Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
So my '03 Tundra is getting long in the tooth and I'm thinking of getting another newer one.
Anyone working at a shop, dealer or parts supplier know any issues in certain years?
Say f'rinstance, brakes (or electronics or ??) on the '13 - '15 weren't as good as they should have been and '16/'17 addressed it...that kind of stuff.

How much "assisted" driving BS are you saddled with on 16, 17 or 2018? I'd buy one a year older if you can't turn it off.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
So my '03 Tundra is getting long in the tooth and I'm thinking of getting another newer one.
Anyone working at a shop, dealer or parts supplier know any issues in certain years?
Say f'rinstance, brakes (or electronics or ??) on the '13 - '15 weren't as good as they should have been and '16/'17 addressed it...that kind of stuff.

How much "assisted" driving BS are you saddled with on 16, 17 or 2018? I'd buy one a year older if you can't turn it off.

Nothing major with the Tundra. It’s the most reliable full sized truck you can buy. I do recommend getting the 5.7 liter engine. It is a thirsty engine, but it doesn’t have the problems that the other makes are having with their engines and drivetrains. Use a good full synthetic and you’ll get 400,000 miles out of that engine easily.

The Toyota Safety Sense system can be configured to your liking.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Thanks PS on the info about the Safety Sense System. My '03 has had only Mobil 1 it's entire lifespan. At only 194k now but there is little stuff going on that one would expect with a 16 yr old vehicle.
I'd only buy the 5.7, I figure it can't be that much worse MPGwise than the 4.7 I have in my current one and that's the *ONLY* knock I have on the Tundra I have now. Well that and the too small gas tank.
(to be fair, the Nissan V6 truck I had before I bought this one had the same shitty mileage)

I love dead nuts reliable which has been my experience with every Toyota I've owned.

--------

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My 2014 with the 5.7L has been a great truck. The range is limited while towing since the tank is small and Toyota was clearly not concerned with fuel economy. Later years got a bigger gas tank and the 8-speed transmission. I would look to see when those changes happened as they seem like worthwhile uogrades.

I have read that the future Tundra will share the same platform as the Tacoma. Not sure what that means for towing and payload capacity so now may be a good time to buy if you like the current design.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've had an '07, 12, and currently a '15 and the only trouble I've had was the air induction pump problem on the '07. Great trucks all the way around.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 and it has been 100% flawless.

I do wish it had the 38 gallon tank for extended range but it can be added.

I dont think that the Entune has really changed much since 2014.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat.....

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A friend just bought a brand spankin’ new Tundra.

Double Cab, 5.7 engine, 4 wheel drive, power windows and locks, etc etc etc. Rubber floor, no carpet, has vinyl seats, does have rear view camera. It’s the basic SR model.

Got it for $31,988 and they threw in a spray in bed liner. Let me say that $31,988 is the price in the front windshield, that’s what you pay. It’s a fixed price. No haggling. Heckuva deal in my opinion.

Around here this is known and sold as a Work Truck. The oil field guys really like this particular package. The dealer usually has 4 or 5 of these, all exactly the same, white paint color, and they sell quite a few of them.

Yeah it’s kinda basic, but $31,988 is the price on the front window. He decided, and I agreed, it’s crazy to spend $55K or 60K for a super luxury truck.

I found him a replacement fuel tank, 46 gallon size, from Transfer Flow

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I really like my 2010. I did have an air injection pump issue that put the truck in limp mode. About a $2,000 repair but Toyota had extended the warranty on that item because of know issues. Only applies to a few years of trucks though.

I did need a water pump at 90,000 miles but my first Tacoma needed a water pump at 45,000, so maybe I’m just lucky that way.

Oh, and the factory battery leaked/over vented. Also a know issues so I was watching it so no issues.

I’m about 95% sure my next one will be a Tundra as well though.

After 16 or maybe 18 they got bigger fuel tanks. I got 18mpg with the p metric Michelins but now it’s 15 if I’m lucky with 1 size larger E rated 10ply tires. 12mpg or so in town.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You can also get the 38 gallon tank as an option.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Supposedly they will have a diesel Tundra for 2020. Specs are pure guesswork at this point but if you will be towing a lot, it might be worth waiting to see what happens.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I have a 2011 Tundra that has "the clunk". It's a thing. Apparently is was fixed in later models.

There isn't anything really "wrong" with the clunk, but it sounds funky, and feels strange. A little bit like somebody just barely rear-ends you when you stop, or take off from being stopped.

Love my truck. 125K miles. Long way to go, I hope.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My 2015 is as solid as my 2001. I do like the 5.7 over the 4.7.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I have a '18 platinum 4x4 and I love it. I use it for work and have put 25k flawless miles on the odo in 9 months. I hope when it's time to get another, they haven't changed them much, other than maybe a turbo diesel option.

I'm ocd about my vehicles and am cautious about throwing stuff around in the interior. There has been complaints about Tundra's interior plastics being soft and easily scratched. It's true. Only wipe the shiny/clear plastics with a clean microfiber towel and be easy on them if you want them to stay looking nice.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. A 38 gal tank sounds great!
Prices right now in AZ are still high. Might have to broaden the search a bit.
Just poking around cargurus, I found ‘17s with anywhere from 20k miles to 81k! Eek

--------

posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 double-cab long bed SR5 with the 5.7 V8. Lifted it a little and put bigger wheels and tires on it so it looks "right". I have no complaints so far. About 55k miles on it and only oil changes.

I would buy another, but the safety nannies are more prevalent after 2014 or 2015. All mine has is the traction/stability control. I do not want or need any of the lane departure stuff, etc.

Yeah the gas mileage sucks but so what. 3 of my 4 vehicles get less than 15 mpg. But I can only drive one at a time so it balances out....

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
e-mail sent.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
I have a 2011 Tundra that has "the clunk". It's a thing. Apparently is was fixed in later models.

There isn't anything really "wrong" with the clunk, but it sounds funky, and feels strange. A little bit like somebody just barely rear-ends you when you stop, or take off from being stopped.

Slight thread drift, but how far back does "the clunk" go? I picked up a used `00 Tundra a while back and notice that same sort of behavior.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 2017 with 24k on it in January after looking at the 2019s. The new ones have the lane warning radar etc which, while you can turn off, I find annoying. I believe the 2017 was the last year w/o it but not sure.

Regardless, the Tundra is build solid & reliable. I have the 4.6L as I’m not going to be pulling anything. I’m averaging 18.1 mpg in mostly city driving. Couldn’t be happier and I plan to drive the wheels off it.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I have "the clunk" in my FJ, a thing in those vehicles as well. It's fairly pronounced. I haven't had it in either Tundra.

I put 334K miles on my 2006 with the 4.0L V6. Had to replace the head gasket after 300K due to common leak on #6 cylinder for high mileage vehicles, and once inside decided to do the other gasket, valves and timing chain. I figured at 300K it didn't owe me a thing, and the rest of the truck was completely solid. Probably 80% plus highway miles, and managed 19.75 MPG.

Current 2013 with the 5.7L has 207K trouble free miles, but Gen 1 to Gen 2 was a big change in size and weight. Now primarily suburban commuting, I get 13.4 MPG in the '13. On the highway at speeds up to 65, I can coax about 18.8 MPG, but 75 and over mileage drops to about 16.5. Unfortunately, the 26.4 gal. gas tank just reminds you of the poor mileage. I hear about folks with my truck getting much better mileage, but I'm not seeing it.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2017 sr5 crew cab 4x4. It has been flawless thus far. Gas mileage is not great, but I got the sr5 upgrade package with the 38 gallon fuel tank. This comes in handy when towing my boat @ 9 mpg.

Not much in terms of technology or frills in these trucks, but they are reliable and they hold their value. I added an ARE tonneau cover, running boards, TRD wheels, and leather sea covers (clazzio). My only regret is getting it in black...

Thinking about moving to to an F-250 but only because I want a bigger boat and would need a stronger tow platform at that point.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post