SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water/Weatherproofing Leather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water/Weatherproofing Leather Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Got caught in a shower on the motorcycle over the weekend, luckily only about a mile from home.

Turns out the leather saddlebags are not weatherproofed, got home & got them good & wiped down.

Any suggestions on a good water/weatherproofing for leather?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Huberd's Shoe Grease?

LINK

Posts: 10981 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like sno-seal.

Warm the bags (no more than 125 degrees) in oven, sun, or with a hair dryer, and rub in. Let it set, then buff.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12786 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It's old-school, but I really like Sno-Seal. It's a beeswax paste you apply to the leather while heating the leather with a hair dryer to help it soak in. If you do it right, it pretty much completely saturates the leather, making it the next best thing to totally impervious to water. It may not seal seams.

It does tend to darken the color of the leather a lot.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obenauf's Leather Preservative has been good to my leather goods.

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Budrow:

+87

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wilson's Leather. They've a leather cleaner and conditioner you apply with a soft cloth, and a spray-on protectant. Both get high marks from those who've used them.

I use them on my leather. It's only a couple years old, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I agree with the snow seal. I put it on heavy and use a hair dryer to get it to get into the stitching. I've been using it for over 40 years.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Sno seal never let me down. Use a hair dryer to heat up the leather and it will penetrate in better.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Another Sno-seal user here

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I use pecard products based on a thread from a couple years ago. They have an excellent conditioner and tinted (choice of brown or black) water repellent.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Pecard’s for many years, on everything leather- saddles, boots, motorcycle gear, and even small nicer things like watch straps. I’d read that it was what museums use.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Another +1 for Obernauf

Posts: 5742 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
Agree....Sno-Seal...good stuff!

Posts: 258 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Budrow:

+87

+89

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, not intending to be in the wet often, but this is Houston. We can go from sunny & 80* to thunderstorms in under an hour.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post