SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flat iron steak cooking methods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flat iron steak cooking methods Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a nice Black Angus flat iron steak Thursday to do last night and then ended up working about 14 hours yesterday so I didn't cook when I got home.
So it's for tonight.
I've never done this cut before and wondering what everyone else does and what works. I do have an assortment of cast iron for searing. Natural gas grill for grilling. Charcoal grill is out for tonight probably as it's already windy with a cold front moving through and gusts supposedly ~40mph through the evening.
TIA.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Cooks like any other cut of steak, its just very lean. I usually coat mine in olive oil, then add the seasoning of my liking Montreal Steak or course salt and pepper. Throw in a pat of butter for taste, sear it in cast iron, but don't over cook it. With the strong winds I'd probably avoid grilling because it will be difficult to keep your temp where it needs to be.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The sous vide folks will be along shortly…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm a minimalist when it comes to seasoning as I want the meat to shine:
  • Boneless - 1/2 tsp salt per pound of meat and 1/4 tsp pepper per pound of meat
  • Bone In - 1/4 tsp salt per pound of meat and 1/8 tsp pepper per pound of meat

If it's a thick steak (i.e. 3/4" or thicker) then I'd reverse sear. Put your favorite cast iron pan in the oven at 450-500 (I'd go slightly lower than oil's smoke point), and preheat your gas grill to 225 to 250. Cook steak on gas grill until internal temp is about 15 degrees less than desired doneness (e.g. for me I pull at 115ish since I want a 131 F finish). Bring steak inside, pull cast iron from oven and put on burner on high, add some high smoke point oil (e.g. avocado) to cast iron, and sear and flip (~every 30 seconds) your steak until desired doneness (e.g. for me it's 131).

If it's a thin steak, I'd put cast iron in the oven 450-500 (I'd go slightly lower than oil's smoke point) for about 30 minutes, pull cast iron from oven and put on burner on high, add some high smoke point oil (e.g. avocado) to cast iron, and sear and flip (~every 30 seconds) your steak until desired doneness (e.g. for me it's 131).

As far as your meat choice, they sold you 2 marketing ploys:
  • Angus as a measure of quality. Angus is a breed of cattle. Meat quality is prime, choice, select.
  • Flat iron as a cut of meat. It's top blade steak cut from the chuck. Flat iron is a cooking method.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A teetotaling
    beer aficionado
    Picture of NavyGuy
    posted Hide Post
    My experience with Flat Iron Steaks is that over cooking, even slow and low, will result in a very tough and chewy finished product, whereas a hot quick sear is much more tender. I have not however done a Green Egg style smoking, so I don't know how that would work out.

I just heat the grill (gas) until the temp shows 500+ degrees, then wipe the grate with oil to prevent sticking and tearing. Depending on thickness, 3-4 minutes per side. Let it rest about 5 minutes loosely covered with foil.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by NavyGuy:
    My experience with Flat Iron Steaks is that over cooking, even slow and low, will result in a very tough and chewy finished product, whereas a hot quick sear is much more tender. I have not however done a Green Egg style smoking, so I don't know how that would work out.

I just heat the grill (gas) until the temp shows 500+ degrees, then wipe the grate with oil to prevent sticking and tearing. Depending on thickness, 3-4 minutes per side. Let it rest about 5 minutes loosely covered with foil.

I did this just yesterday. Except with my grill reading 500F, I just do 2-3 min per side and that results in medium to medium well (my steak had a taper).

Not to state the obvious but when you cut to eat, cut against the grain. I think that's especially important for these steaks.

BTW, my preparation includes pre-marination for taste and tenderization.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    marinade for a couple hours

hot grill, quick sear on either side

only cook to mid rare, medium at most or it will become tough

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hop head
    Picture of lyman
    posted Hide Post
    Flat Irons, and sorry if this drifts off topic, is a relatively modern name for a part of the Chuck,

if you ever bought a 7 bone chuck steak or roast back in the day, the Flat Iron was attached to that bone that looked like a 7 (it is the shoulder blade),

the other side is the Mock Tender, which is much leaner and not as much gristle

the flat irons were called Chicken Steaks at Winn Dixie back then

we could not give them away, and either cut them up for stew, (tossing the grissly part between the 2 halves in the grinder) or just tossed the damn things in the grinder,

then, 20 yrs later, someone peeled them out as one piece and cooked them kinda like a london broil and they took off,

so, a relatively well marbled (if buying Choice or Prime) piece of shoulder meat will be best if served rare, or med rare,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    We enjoy this cut regularly.

Sear in a cast iron pan at high temp and then cook at much reduced heat until perfectly medium rare. Always a nice rich beefy taste without grizzle or any significant waste.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I felt up to a challenge so I did it on the natural gas grill.
    Seared hot and fast about 2 minutes per side. Didn't quite get to temp so I moved it to indirect for a few minutes and pulled it at 125°. Came out great.
    The wind was crazy but it worked.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Those cute I usually slice about 1.5 inches wide and freeze separately. I like them in vegetable soup, so I’ll thaw, grill to a rare, then cut chunk it up into the soup. Finishes with soup.

--
    I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post

This was last night after I pulled it off the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes.
    Leftovers for tonight.

Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    Looks GREAT!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    YUM!!!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post