SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Doggy tail injuries - advice or management solutions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doggy tail injuries - advice or management solutions? Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
Hey SigForum!

This is Jessie:

Jessie is a Good Dog. She's a sweet, chill yellow lab that pretty much exemplifies all of the great characteristics of the breed. She belongs to one of the partners in my lawfirm, and she's become our office mascot.

As a happy girl, Jessie's tail wags. A lot. And, after bouncing off of all the usual stuff that tends to be around, like doorways and stair rails and furniture, Jessie has injured her tail. Jessie stayed home for a few days until healing up, but that's not been a permanent fix. Unfortunately, off and on, she'll reinjure the tip of her tail and then blood starts getting splattered about. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but if anyone has a suggestion for a means to keep Jessie's tail safe, we'd be happy to hear it. Everyone loves having her in the office, so we'd like to find a way to make her tail safer.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like Jessie needs a lawyer to file an OSHA complaint on the office for improperly safeguarding the environment. Big Grin

You could get pool float tubes, cut in half and pad the edges of items she hits

Posts: 23359 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with my GSD. The vet ended up amputating her tail because she kept injuring it and it was getting longer to heal. She is a lot happier now.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My Yellow Lab, Ellie, used to do the same thing, wag her tail so hard the tip would bleed. She didn't have to strike anything with it, the force of the wag was sufficient in and of itself to split the skin of the very tip of her tail. She did this pretty much all her life, it never seemed to bother her. We would put antiseptic on it occasionally, that didn't seem to make much difference either. Doc said it wasn't unusual, or anything to worry about as long as it didn't get infected. Such a sweet happy girl, I miss her dreadfully!

Posts: 6438 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It's called "Happy Tail" and is pretty common. Here's a link on it. I hope she gets better soon!
https://www.care2.com/greenliv...do-you-treat-it.html

Posts: 10848 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience is so long ago that it involves a Ford Woodie, circa 1948-1949. Growing up, my dad had two Great Danes, a fawn and a black. Dad was getting the dogs out of the back seat one day and shut the back door too soon, catching the black dog's tail in the door. We headed for the vet, who amputated the last 5-6 inches of the tail and applied an elaborate bandage. We walked outside and two wags of the tail sent the bandage flying into some bushes. Now 70 years later, I can still see in my mind, that bandage heading for the bushes.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened with our Ridgeback. We ultimately had to amputate part of the tail because it would take longer to heal, and at times he would lick it/make it worse.

Much happier once we removed that very end where the injury was. A vet is best to advise you.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Sounds to me like Jessie needs a lawyer to file an OSHA complaint on the office for improperly safeguarding the environment.

We have reached a mutually agreeable settlement with Jessie whereby she has waived and released all present and future claims in exchange for a half dozen doggy cookies, two lightly used tennis balls, and daily belly rubs.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Sounds to me like Jessie needs a lawyer to file an OSHA complaint on the office for improperly safeguarding the environment.

We have reached a mutually agreeable settlement with Jessie whereby she has waived and released all present and future claims in exchange for a half dozen doggy cookies, two lightly used tennis balls, and daily belly rubs.

Strong move holding out for the daily belly rubs!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
quote:

It was not a contentious negotiation. Big Grin

She's a really great doggy - well mannered and affectionate. In between naps she makes the rounds between offices, soaking up attention and sneaking treats (pretty much everyone has doggy treats in their desk for Jessie), and she greets the delivery people and clients who pop in before returning to her office for another nap. She does wonders to help keep a good vibe in the office. It's hard to stay in a bad mood around a happy lab.

Sounds like she needs a vet visit and maybe a tail protector.

-ShneaSIG

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with any products for dog-tail protection, but these or something similar might help: https://www.gundogsupply.com/l...-tail-protector.html

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I used to foster greyhounds who had happy tails. We found that using the plastic finger splints from the drug store or grocery store worked well.

They have foam sleeves now as well.

Either of those and a piece of vet wrap (self stick ace bandage) and it is light but protects the tip of the tail while it heals up. The vet wrap is better than tape since it comes off without pulling out the hair.

The lightest ones worked the best for protection and they can still wag without the artwork painted on all of your walls. :-)

Kevin

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or put one pool noodle on the tail!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53119 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Britty, our first Yellow Lab suffered from this in her last few years.

It looked like a crime scene when we would get home. She would look out the front window and get excited whenever anyone would walk by.

After a few weeks of cleaning blood off the walls in our home, we took the advice of our Vet and had a few inches removed.

Britty did not seem to care and coming home was much more enjoyable.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36836 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

She's a really great doggy - well mannered and affectionate. In between naps she makes the rounds between offices, soaking up attention and sneaking treats (pretty much everyone has doggy treats in their desk for Jessie), and she greets the delivery people and clients who pop in before returning to her office for another nap. She does wonders to help keep a good vibe in the office. It's hard to stay in a bad mood around a happy lab.

Unless she's 18, she doesn't have the legal capacity to enter into a contract. She can abdicate her responsibility to fulfill any portion of her contract and there's nothing you can do about it. She may also need a guardian ad litem to make sure she understands what she's agreed to. I think a judge may throw out any oral contracts that were presented to Jessie in a higher than normal toned voice, especially if followed by "who's a good girl."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20795 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

You're going to need a lot of them, on every surface, corner and piece of furniture, if you do that.

Posts: 27910 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looked like a crime scene when we would get home.

This would freak me out if I came home to bloody walls.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unless she's 18, she doesn't have the legal capacity to enter into a contract. She can abdicate her responsibility to fulfill any portion of her contract and there's nothing you can do about it. She may also need a guardian ad litem to make sure she understands what she's agreed to. I think a judge may throw out any oral contracts that were presented to Jessie in a higher than normal toned voice, especially if followed by "who's a good girl."

Except she's 49 in dogs years. Wink

-ShneaSIG

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
She's a good looking girl. Nice to have a dog around the work place.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post