SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Started surfing...and love it!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Started surfing...and love it! Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
My son wanted to start surfing with his friends a few weeks ago. So now I'm doing it, I have not been able to stand up on the board yet, partially because I'm fat, and uncoordinated, and partially becuase I have the wrong board...bit it's been so fun!

Any surfers here?

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6014 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Gnarly!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Surfed in my teens and twenties. I have thought about have a go at it again. I would need a long board. Maybe I'll just watch! We would get up before sunrise, check out the break and either surf or go back to bed. surfing is a life style. Locals rule!

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Send us a pic like this on your board: Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school in SoCal, I was a really good skater so my friends took me surfing a couple of times and I actually got the hang of it very quickly. But I couldn't get into the sport because these guys ditched morning classes to go really early in the AM for better swells, and I just thought the whole thing was a pain in the ass, I didn't have a car, etc. Plus surf culture in many spots was heavily into Locals vs. Kooks (outsiders).

When we vacationed in Maui, we always hit Costco first to buy a Boogie board for the rest of the week. And I have paddle boarded in the ocean a number of times. But I haven't surfed since.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16712 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not much ability to surf in Galveston. Bodyboarding/bodysurfing maybe.

My wife still has her surfboard from when she lived in CA (she doesn't consider Galveston to be a beach).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15357 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes -- have surfed for many years.

lived in Hawaii for 8 years and rode large waves there. have surfed in USA, Peru, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Mexico, France, etc

keep at it ! its great exercise

let me know if you have any particular questions

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey! They’ve got vitamins for that! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
partially because I'm fat, and uncoordinated,

See that’s what makes you different from me. For me there is no partially when it comes to my various skills. Smile

Enjoy in good health.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Keep it up. Pretty soon this guy will have you and your son on speed dial.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7657 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I learned to surf when I was stationed in Cape Hatteras (90s). Starting out is much easier on a long board in low waves..the big board will let you surf right away. When I wanted to start someone loaned me a 5’6” board....wrong! I spoke to a few other guys who loaned me a 8’ and had a much easier time learning.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
All I need are some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I am fine. Jeff Spicolli from Fast Times.

I never surfed, but wish I had.

Enjoy!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I learned to surf as a child on Oahu. We were stationed there 4 years and as luck would have it my father quite literally won the lottery and our base housing was RIGHT ON THE OCEAN.

I rediscovered my love of surfing at Virginia Beach while in my mid 20’s. Once I finally got around to purchasing my first high performance longboard I became hopelessly addicted. I’d get up before sunrise and drive to 1st street, or Croatan and paddle out with the early birds at least once a week.

As far as east coast surf goes my favorite break for years has been just north of the Kitty Hawk Pier. Early or late in the summer the surf tends to be quite good. Because there is very little public parking nearby and there are not a lot of houses in this section of beach it’s never crowded like VA Beach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
There’s a break in Rodanthe that splits in both directions. Well there used to be...

I used to surf right off the lighthouse in Buxton, the base backed up to it before they moved the lighthouse inland.

The base is gone now.

During one hurricane they evacuated the island and only a few of us were still there. We went down to the ramp in Frisch and could catch a huge wave that would dump you Halfway to the point...I look back at it now and think that was crazy..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Just enjoy the time with your son. When you get to my age you'll look back on these days as some of the best of your life. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Enjoy yourself!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Just enjoy the time with your son. When you get to my age you'll look back on these days as some of the best of your life. Smile

I agree. The Good Ole Days.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16712 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post