SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back to trombone shopping…question:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to trombone shopping…question: Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Conn, Yamaha, or something else? Will be taking lessons from ground zero, so I want a good, quality horn that I won’t “have to fight”. IOW, I don’t want to have to deal with the bad habits of a horn (like an abused student horn) while learning the instrument while fighting my own deficiencies.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have an old Conn student horn. It is a decent student trombone - not beautiful (but not awful), and in good working order. I do not remember the model. The beauty part of a trombone is that they are as simple as they can be. There is little to break. Send me an email if you want to talk about it.

I also have a King 2BL, which is a professional King horn, best suited for jazz playing. It is a light horn, with a smaller bore. It has a brighter tone than an orchestral player (or a traditional wind band) would want, but is the bees knees for jazz, or other non-big-band styles.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was a serious player in my youth. I started with the classic Olds Ambassador. I later moved to a mid level Olds. In HS my folks bought me a nice Holton with an F attachment. I quit playing at age 20 or so. Years later, my son played it in HS. When he graduated, I sent it off to be refurbished and played it in a big band for a few years. Now it sits next to my guitars. It has a big bore and I used a large Bach mouthpiece on it for a richer sound. I doubt I’ll ever play again - but who knows? The Holton is a great horn but if I were buying today, I’d look at a Bach 42 series. If I was just starting, look for a used horn on Craigslist.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I played a Conn 88H Elkhart.

Beautiful horn and awesome sound.

About 1998, I donated it to a friend at church that was a member of the USAF Band of the West.

That beautiful horn is worth a good bit now.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Back in the day, I played a Conn 88H Elkhart.

Beautiful horn and awesome sound.

About 1998, I donated it to a friend at church that was a member of the USAF Band of the West.

That beautiful horn is worth a good bit now.

I always liked those good Conn trombones when I was playing (high school and college). Bach horns were becoming more popular then, but I liked the Conns for reasons that I can't even remember, and which, maybe, were more based on pure preference.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about getting a Bach but loved the 88H with copper bell.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Yamaha has wonderful quality mid-level instruments. Not usually professional quality, but still solid instruments. If you are serious about it, consider investing in a model with the F attachment.

Also be sure to get a quality mouthpiece. In some ways, that can be as important as the instrument. I’m a fan of Denis Wick, but it’s important to try many options.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the classic Trombone Charlie

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I teach middle school band… so I have a glimpse into this world. If you’re just picking up trombone, I’d recommend a regular Yamaha student trombone or an older king/conn. All of them are rock solid and great for playing. If you’re already advanced enough to warrant an F attachment, I would suggest a Yamaha or Bach with an open wrap. I have a Bach 30B double bass trombone with the closed wrap an it’s stuffy to play. Open wrap if possible. There are several places to get used horns for good prices (Quinn the Eskimo on reverb is who I got a few horns through). I had a nice conn single bass with rose gold bell that I got for 850 bucks in 2014. If you properly maintain it you could resell it for what you paid for it no problem. My gut says Bach or Yamaha and enjoy it for years.

Posts: 36 | Location: S. Oregon | Registered: December 23, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, advice, and suggestions!!

Here's the thing...I'm trying to steer away from a student horn from the get-go, as I want to buy once/cry once. I'm ready to pay into the thousands for a good quality horn up front. I don't want to get caught in the trap of purchasing a student horn and then having to turn around a buy a "quality" horn 3 months later.

That's what happened with my alto sax...bought a used student horn, but then turned around and bought a very nice Yamaha horn a couple months later. Could've saved $500 by just getting the good horn from the start.

I've been playing music since I was about 8, so it's not like I'm just learning music...I'm just learning a new instrument. This will be my first brass instrument. I studied classical piano for 10 years before realizing that career is a dead end street unless your last name is Van Cliburn, Watts, Bronfman, or Bernstein. My goal is to play akin to Chicago and James Pankow. Doubt I'll ever be to that caliber, but I'll have fun doing it.

So given that explanation, does any of the above advice change? Thanks again!!!

ETA:
Found this listing on Fakebook Marketplace. This looks like the MINIMUM "entry level" horn I'd be willing to buy...

https://www.facebook.com/marke...tem/157622600591274/

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Back when I was in grade school, my parents got it into their heads that my brother and I should learn to play the trombone.

We both hated it.

The experiment didn't last long

I tried learning the acoustical guitar about thirty-five years ago. That didn't take, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
In school a friend had a Bach Stadivarious. You could easily pick it out. It sounded far richer than any other horn. He also appreciated the extra key work it had.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sir you’ve got a rather interesting style of playing. This is not the horn I’d normally expect at a stoplight.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Renewing this post……

Starting to get serious on buying. My local shop has a couple S.E. Shires and one Bach Strad. The Bach is a little over $4k, but maybe the store will come down a bit.

What is the opinion on Shires??

posted Hide Post
The Shires horns are top notch. I have 2 of their trumpets. Trent Austin in KC (Austin Custom Brass) has a great selection of 'bones.

If you ever see a Lawler it's worth a look as well. Roy made some spectacular horns but retired a few years back. They don't come up often but they're equal to anything out there.

g

Posts: 24 | Location: Middle America | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
I have a Bach 42G with open wrap F attachment purchased in the late 90s. Great horn if you can afford one. I'll warn you that the larger bore size (.547" I think) means it takes more air to play than a standard bore (.500").

Posts: 924 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
You might try a rusty one.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
These 2 are in my price range. Bach may be a little high, but if it's a quality horn, I'll take it...

S.E. Shires

Bach Strad 42BO

Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Shires are professional quality. But be sure that you actually get to play on them before purchasing. Any decent store will allow you to sample the instruments before you drop cash.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post