Notify
Tools

Tinnitus Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Turns out the Lipo Flavonoid did the trick, cured the dizzy spells in a few weeks, and I continued to take it for several years just-in-case.

Wife realized she had this about 15 years ago, in a funny conversation where she said she just thought everyone heard that ringing in background. She's been taking this regularly since, and while it doesn't eliminate it she does find it reduces the intensity some.

For the price, a cheap option to try for a month or two for those suffering. It does take a bit of time to have an impact.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Been feeling dizzy more and more often to the point of noticing.
Thanks to your thread, Greg, i am now able to associate it to my tinnitus.

Not a solution but the first step in the right direction.

Thank you guys.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12272 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Methylcobalamin. It is methylated vitamin B12. It has reduced my tinnitus quite a bit, with some completely quiet days. About 3000 micrograms per day seems to be what I need. I've read that 5000 per day is used by many people, and that excess is safely excreted, so there isn't worry of overdose (but do your own due diligence).

I've only been taking it for a month but it is working for me. If I miss taking it then the ringing comes back the next day.

My 32 yr old daughter has been taking it for a few months and reports her tinnitus is nearly gone, and she no longer has cold feelings in her hands.

She had a genetic test done by a functional medicine doc who found her gene which controls vitamin B12 use within the cell is defective. Her cells can't methylate, or something to that effect. So a blood B12 test says the level is good, but none of it is actually being used. A methylated version is needed.

Posts: 9754 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nope. Mine comes in the form of Meniere's Disease. It got so bad in my mid-thirties, I swear to you that there were times when death would have been preferable.

I'm long past the insane spells of vertigo. When it bothers me these days, I just think of all the maladies I don't have.

For Meniere's, they can put in a shunt, or they can simply sever the auditory nerve. The way they cut you for this, you risk partial facial paralysis. It's not worth it IMO.

For tinnitus due to other causes, I couldn't tell you.

sorry to learn of that, good wishes in managing it. i've known guys with meniere's, most undesirable.

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I always heard there was no cure.
When I went to the ear doctor maybe 10 years ago, hearing tested fine and he just said that even he had it, nothing they can do.

Interesting to know about Lipo Flavonoid, may give this a try.

Mine sounds just like when I go into my server room, the low volume, semi-high pitch of those computer fans but at a higher pitch.
Had it for many years and it primarily bothers me just at night when watching TV or the room is quite.
During the day I don't normally think about it.
Thinking about will make me notice it.
Not so debilitating, just annoying. Frown

Kind of amazed so many here have this, guess I am in good company.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tinnitis is primarily due to noise exposure. There is no effective treatment. Hearing aids may help some.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Been suffering from it for more than 30 years now and I’ve been reluctant to try gimmicks and snake oils

Wondering if anyone has had actual success in reducing the aggravation

Wife has had Tinnitus most of her life. I bought Cortexi liquid for her she has been on it a month and no changes. They say it takes time to take effect so I told her to continue at least for another month. I bought three months supply.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
My condition was caused by continuous exposure to aircraft engines - air shows, working on and around them while operating. Walking around a ramp and a jet would taxi past - just looked the other way. it wasn't until later I started wearing hearing protection.

I'm going to give the methylated Vitamin B12 a shot and see if it helps.

Thanks for the leads

Posts: 53849 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
My tinnitus is due to Meniere's disease as well. Both ears, right is worse, high volume "Cicadas" type one-note, continual noise. It merely became a background noise of my life. Left ear was intermittent ringing type.

Thankfully, the vertigo spells have gone, some mild vertigo once in awhile, mostly associated with the weather (falling barometer).

My hearing slowly deteriorated, hearing aids were no help, they amplified the distortion. I primarily used my left ear to hear due to the masking of my right tinnitus until Dec. '22 when, after a weird "pop", the hearing loss got to the point where I was a candidate for cochlear implants.

In June, '23, a cochlear was placed in my left ear, my hearing increased dramatically though it's far from perfect. Initially, the left tinnitus was gone but a different type formed about 10 months later. It's slight and only noticeable when the implant is off or if it's very quiet. Oddly, it stops if I cover my ear with my hand or place the left ear on a pillow in a certain manner.

This July, they will place an implant in my right ear/head. Hopefully the cicadas will go away.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4384 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've had mild tinnitus for about 20 years. According to every doctor or audiologist I've ever asked, there's nothing that can be done to treat or fix tinnitus.

But there are thing that will aggravate your tinnitus, which you can avoid.

For example, tinnitus volume is commonly associated with blood pressure spikes, so ensure that your BP is well controlled, watch your salt intake, use stimulants like caffeine in moderation, and try to avoid stress.

Similarly, staying hydrated seems to help with my tinnitus, as it's more noticeable when I'm dehydrated.

Also, ensure you're not clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth, which can aggravate it. If you are, there are exercises and mouthpieces that can help with that.

And wear hearing protection whenever you can. It will help prevent your tinnitus from getting worse. I even wear ear pro when mowing/weedeating.
I would agree with everything Rogue says. I would add a few things:

I take methylcobalamin but I can't say it's done any good for me.

Besides watching salt and caffeine, I would add alcohol to that list.

I have it 24/7 but it's not overly noticeable during the day; it's at night when it's quiet when I hear it most. I, too, use a fan/noisemaker at night to distract me away from the tinnitus.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Mine is like power lines that make noise in a pulsating fashion. Nothing helps but I am kind of used to it. I've been told playing in a band and shooting guns is what caused it.

I get pulsating when my BP is way too high. Might want to check it if you haven’t.

Otherwise is fairly constant. Caf makes it worse. Dehydrated makes it worse; even a few extra glasses of water through the day help.

Thank you for your suggestion! I take my blood pressure every morning and have for years. I have A-Fib and even though my last episode was 12 years ago, I find it helpful to check my blood pressure and heart rate daily. My BP is usually below 120/60 and my pulse is usually under 60 bpm.

Posts: 6737 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I will affirm some of what has been said - Just a family doc here

* Control blood pressure
* Watch out for salt intake
* Drink plenty of water 40-64oz of pure water in addition to other fluids
* Get hearing tested - hearing aids can help to "close the gaps" in hearing/hearing loss and tends to sharpen the hearing that you have left
* I have had a reasonable degree of success with lipoflavinoid supplements with my patients. Amazon link
* some individuals respond to low dose, off label use of Sertraline (25mg for starters which has little impact on mood, and I have used 50mg for some) For tinnitus I have never gone higher.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11158 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A clarification on Lipo Flavonoid, they advertise that it will help with tinnitus if taken fairly soon after the symptoms begin, less than a couple or three months, IIRC.

Although it was available as an OTC vitamin, none of the doctors I saw during that time period about my tinnitus recommended it, and it was several decades later that I discovered it. I put this down to old-school doctors who, back then, were actively discouraged from recommending anything not considered actual medicine. Things may be better now. Or not.

I tried it out of desperation, and discovered the benefit of eliminating the vertigo, but to this day my tinnitus is undiminished. Since I haven't been active in racing, flying or shooting (miss them all!) in several years now, I haven't further aggravated the tinnitus.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a timely thread. I had no idea so many people suffer from tinnitus.

My days on the sub probably got it started and it's not been too bad, but a few weeks back the volume seemed to go up and it's now at the point where I'm having to ask people to repeat themselves if I'm not 100% focused on them and the conversation.

I definitely need to be more diligent about using hearing protection during yard work and probably double up the hearing protection at the range with ear plugs & ear muffs.

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post