SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home remedies (treatments) you endured as a child...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home remedies (treatments) you endured as a child... Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Getting beat for being bad. It was a remedy my mom used with frequency when we were being asses.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
This is what I remember. Scott's Emulsion of Pure Cod Liver Oil.

I remember the fish over the man's shoulder and the brown bottle kept in the refrigerator.

It tasted as bad as the label and bottle looked. I don't know what it was supposed to treat.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Another Vicks VapoRub victim here.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
castoria,, hated that stuff,

in addition to mecurochrome,
methiolade, did not sting as bad,

grandparents ran a dairy farm, so it if was good enough for the cows,,,

meaning get scratched up and you got Gential Violet, or a big blue jar of some salve got smeared on it,

also, stumped toe or bruises soaked in epsom salts or some hot water with turpentine in it,

always followed by the phrase, it will heal before you get married,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
This would be in every Asian house

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yep, merthiolate. That stuff burned like a mother and left an orange stain. It worked though. Not once did I have an infected cut, scratch, or scrape.

A teaspoon of minced garlic chased with a teaspoon of honey for colds.

Vick's of course.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I didn't, but my little brother did. He was sick with some sort of infectious disease. My uncle was doing some voodoo magic, by holding a torch walking and chanting some shit around my mom, who was holding my bro. Needless to say, it didn't work. He ended up dying eventually in the hospital. I was too young to know exactly what it was, but the translation I got from my father was something like DIC (Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation). DIC is extremely bad actor, even with current medical advances.

Q

Posts: 26397 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Bar of soap in the mouth to prevent/inhibit cursing.

It didn't work, but everything tasted spicy for a day or two after.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Rum and gunpowder. Granny's cure for everything. Explains a lot, actually....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was subjected to pretty much all the above. In later years my mom moved from Merthiolate to Hydrogen Peroxide as an antiseptic (no more stains).

Coca-Cola was actually first formulated to be a stomach remedy and the syrup (which did contain cocaine) was mixed with tap water to be drunk. It was an accident that carbonated water was used once and the drink became popular. Pepsi-Cola was also developed as a stomach remedy, and contained Pepsin (hence the name).

Having grown up in Detroit, Michigan, my mom's remedy for an upset stomach was room-temperature Vernor's Ginger Ale--it still works wonders.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
This would be in every Asian house

Eagle Brand Medicated Oil.... what wouldn't it be used for? Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Crest toothpaste on wasp stings. And for skin problems, Grandpa was a Witch Hazel enthusiast. If Witch Hazel didn't work, carbolated Vaseline might.

For sore throat, Vicks Vapo Rub on your throat, then an old wool sock was safety pinned around your neck.

Mom said that was a big improvement over the asafetida bag he had her wear around her neck.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My Mother completely traumatized me regarding Doctors.

I was the guinea pig for a bunch of sadistic mofos that never told her that what she was doing was WRONG.

My dentist till today reminds me of HIM. I was terrorized when I watched the movie. I brought back MEMORIES!!!

She got rid of my (kids) dentist after hearing he had one little boy die on him. That wasn't really enough. She started asking herself some questions after hearing a mother (like her) ask for a series of 8 appointments. Her 6 year old appeared to have 32 cavities. Likely none of his teeth was permanent...

I was also blessed with warts as a young boy. Mother decided to remove my then 8 warts by having them burned. Still remember my hand fingers smelling like sausages and being blotted and charred. Lucky me, that got me 16 warts instead of the original 8. We gave the burned sausage treatment another opportunity... Who would pass on the opportunity of sporting 32 warts covering his hands? There's no two's without threes, right? This time, my mother took the opportunity to have one wart she had removed. Just like his little boy. She passed out right away. That was the last of my finger barbecue expeditions. The warts went away by themselves a short while ago after that. I still have the burned scars.

Last but not least, my sister and I suffered from clogged noses, don't know the proper English term. Mother treated us with silver nitrate(?) drops. Those things are painful and she used that to burn my warts at one time, with no results but the grief they caused. Not the stuff you want up your nose. Mother used to chase desperate us for a while every time the drops came up. We put a good fight when cornered.
The drops magically dissappeared one day after she tried them on herself.

By then, I had acquired absolute panic of Doctors. To this day.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enima........

Which reminds me, I need to reschedule my weekly therapy session with my shrink.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Vick’s, paragoric, mercurochrome, peroxide, bag balm, all of those I remember well. I also sneezed a lot with what I’d consider allergies now but I was given daily doses of a green liquid called Novahistine. From about 6 to 13 years old is a fog. That shit would knock me on my ass.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
As a kid in the 1960s mercurochrome and merthiolate were what went on cuts, scrapes, punctures, amputations, etc. Since mercurochrome didn’t sting most kids took that option but merthiolate was what “adults” used. When you invariably hurt yourself at the neighbors you always asked for merthiolate so they wouldn’t mistake you for a “little kid”. Never got infections in my wounds with that stuff, it did work and the stain was just bragging rights Big Grin. I kept and used merthiolate right up into the late 80s until stuff like Neosporin got popular.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Burns got covered with butter sticks from the fridge.

Black eyes got a frozen steak.

Shake my head.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grandmother would use the juice of a plant she called wart weed on warts and it would get rid of them,if you applied the juice for a couple of weeks.

When I was grown I searched the internet and found out the plant is called Purslane.

Purlane has more omega 3 fatty acids than any other plant,and it is edible. You can eat it raw or put it in stir fry. I used to grow it in my vegetable garden.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Pepto Bismol was the standard for an upset stomach.

Made me puke, every time. As a kid, I thought it's purpose was to speed up the process since it was going to happen anyway.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post