SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any passive crossover (for speakers) experts around?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any passive crossover (for speakers) experts around? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Years and years ago I was into audio very heavily and had quite a bit of knowledge. However, I never was well educated on passive crossovers and I’m in need of some help now. Anybody out there well versed in xover theory/design/execution?

Posts: 6392 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've only built them from blueprints others have put together.

The guys over here have forgotten more than I'll ever know: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8867 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
What brand of speakers?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not sure If can help but what is the issue?

Posts: 23002 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbane
posted Hide Post
I used to design and build crossovers and did all the calculations using a TI scientific calculator. Last summer I built a pair of 800 Hz, two-way, 12db/octave crossovers to replace the OEM networks in a pair of Altec studio monitor speakers. I used this web site and got excellent results.

https://www.diyaudioandvideo.c...esignBuildCrossover/

Sig P229 40S&W
Sig P220R DAK
Sig P6
Sig P225
Sig P226
Sig P290RS
Sig 556

Posts: 419 | Location: Midlands of SC | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I purchased Dynaudio speakers and crossovers that were sourced from scrapped Volvo cars. The drivers are very similar to the classic Dynaudio car audio drivers and a bargain of a way to get into fabulous grade of speaker. The problem, though, is the passive crossover module for the system is no labeled in any way, only 6 wires attached to it (the filter for the tweeters are mounted to the tweeter itself). I was hoping there would be someway to visually indenting what wire is what by looking at the components installed on the pc board. However, when I opened the case I found the whole thing epoxied. No way to see the traces.

I ended up guessing on the inpout wires (and got that right on the first try) and then just used a woofer to find the right combination for the woofer and the mid.

Mission accomplished, largely. I don’t know what is supposed to be positive and negative but don’t think there is anyway to figure that out. I’ll just be consistent and can reverse polarity at each driver if I notice phasing issues down the road.

Posts: 6392 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post