SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where To Eat In Or Around Oak Ridge/Knoxville, TN?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where To Eat In Or Around Oak Ridge/Knoxville, TN? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Tennessee SF members, could you help me out here?

I'm going to be at Oak Ridge, TN for work training for a week in March and wanted to know if there are any good places you can recommend for dinner? I'd really like to try this legendary Nashville Hot Chicken!

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Big Ed's Pizza is a local institution. Thin, soft crust when I was last there (like 20 years ago while living in Knoxville) but still good and fun!

I think I still have the t-shirt!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Calhouns is a popular restaurant throughout the area. Nice place if you like barbecue but they have other stuff.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Big Ed's Pizza is a local institution. Thin, soft crust when I was last there (like 20 years ago while living in Knoxville) but still good and fun!

I think I still have the t-shirt!

Definitely Big Ed's. I haven't been there in [many] years, either, but I've no doubt it's still just as good...one of the few pizzerias where you could still get anchovies on your pie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Big Ed's is still a must do if in Oak Ridge (though I don't think the pizza is the best I've had or anything, it's just a local institution)
http://www.bigedspizzaoakridge.com/

Calhoun's is still good, and they have a location in Oak Ridge now!
http://calhouns.com/menus-and-locations/oak-ridge/

You have to go into Knoxville to get Nashville Hot Chicken - at Gus's (it's about 30 minutes depending on where in Oak Ridge you will be)
http://gusfriedchicken.com/kno...essee-location/#menu

Anything else specific? Lot's of good options in west Knoxville (Turkey Creek area) that's only 15-20 minutes from Oak Ridge.

Any idea on how much free time you'll have? Any chance you want to try to hook up for dinner one night? You can shoot me an email offline - weeknights are tough for us schedule-wise, but depending on your schedule maybe we could make something work.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddies BarBQ. Wonderful. They have a place on Illinois Ave. in Oak Ridge.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
Definitely Big Ed's. I haven't been there in [many] years, either, but I've no doubt it's still just as good...one of the few pizzerias where you could still get anchovies on your pie.
I actually know some people who think it's pizza, if it doesn't have anchovies. Unbelievable!

Everybody knows, real pizza has anchovies!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Ed's, I got to agree.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Big Ed's is still a must do if in Oak Ridge (though I don't think the pizza is the best I've had or anything, it's just a local institution)
http://www.bigedspizzaoakridge.com/

Calhoun's is still good, and they have a location in Oak Ridge now!
http://calhouns.com/menus-and-locations/oak-ridge/

You have to go into Knoxville to get Nashville Hot Chicken - at Gus's (it's about 30 minutes depending on where in Oak Ridge you will be)
http://gusfriedchicken.com/kno...essee-location/#menu

Anything else specific? Lot's of good options in west Knoxville (Turkey Creek area) that's only 15-20 minutes from Oak Ridge.

Any idea on how much free time you'll have? Any chance you want to try to hook up for dinner one night? You can shoot me an email offline - weeknights are tough for us schedule-wise, but depending on your schedule maybe we could make something work.

Gus's is good, but it's just plain fried chicken with a little spice, not Nashville Hot Chicken. Kind of like Popeyes or Bojangles. The general consensus among the Fraternal Order of Hot Chicken is there is no Nashville Hot Chicken in that area. There is a place called Jackie's Dream that serves what they call Knoxville Hot Chicken, but it apparently doesn't live up to the label either.

You're gonna have to get on I40 and drive west if you want the real deal.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Big Ed's, The Soup Kitchen(more of a lunch, afternoon,early evening 11:00 am to 7:30 pm, Gallo Loco Mexican, Razzleberry's ice cream and sandwiches. All within walking distance of my domicile.

Billy's Time out deli, best burgers for miles.
Burchfield's in the Double Tree Inn, just down the road from Billy's.

Depending on schedule, we could possibly meet for a bite and maybe some range time.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Oak Ridge? I'm thinking "Waffle House"

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Ok, trip is next week. So all you Knoxville area members, I need some good restaurant recommendations for Monday-Thursday night. Good BBQ in Tennessee? What other good local places can you all recommend? There will be NO CHAIN RESTAURANTS eaten at!

Breakfast is at hotel and lunch is at facility so we are just going out for dinner each night.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oak Ridge? I'm thinking "Waffle House"

I don't think that fine restaurant chain has one on every corner like Georgia. Kid Rock likes it though.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Connor's Steak & Seafood is really good.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good BBQ in Tennessee?

Seriously? You have led a sheltered life, haven't you? Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Check out Sweet Peas in Knoxville. BBQ Burritos!
http://www.sweetpbbq.com

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming!

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Places I previously listed. Soup kitchen is kinda chain, but only locally.

Brown's Boneyard for BBQ. Take out only though.
BBQ is OK, but the BBQ beans and mac&cheese are incredible.

Staying at the Double Tree?

Another within walking distance of my home. Open until 8:00 pm.

http://www.deansrestaurantandbakery.com/menu/

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the recommendations, everyone.

We ended up at Connor's tonight and the next two nights we are looking at Calhoun's or Sweet P's and maybe Big Ed's.

The weather here is a nice change from chilly PA, today was 81 and sunny, PA is going to be 31 and blustery tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Staying at the Double Tree?

Staybridge Suites

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Littons hamburger in fountain city!!!!!!!

I miss home.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post