SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Side-swapping taken to a new level
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side-swapping taken to a new level Login/Join 
posted
Container ship, wipes out crane on pier in S.Korea. Not sure the pilot and captain are on the same page here...

Interesting the stevedores/longshoreman are Filipino...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in doubt throttle out. Didn't work that time

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Any docking you can walk away from...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to see comments from those here that know about this. My observations - and I know not a thing about this sort of thing:

It seems windy, given the smoke off the stack. May have contributed pushing it onto the dock.

Ship looked like it had right rudder the whole time, which would have pushed the ass end into the pier.

As observed, pedal to the metal.

While it looked to me like there was a tug pulling the stern, it wasn't nearly enough power.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure those guys in the silver SUV and small white truck had to change out the underwear later.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7657 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever we went into port we had a guy sitting down in shaft alley ready to manually control the rudder in case we lost rudder control.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the ex trying to get her car in the garage.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Wow! Once that crane lost its structural geometry it just went down like melted taffy.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't speak Tagalog but I'm pretty sure he yelled TIMBER.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20829 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry81Exmgq9s

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Think ya might have come in a little too fast, Sparky?

Swapping?

Posts: 13275 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
When docking like that, is it customary for the ship's crew to do the maneuvering with help from one or more tugs, or do harbor pilots handle that sort of thing?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Then they decided to back into it under power. Yikes. What a shit show. Not sure if that tug disengaged but I sure as hell would of immediately.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19194 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Job opening!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
If I’m not mistaken I thank that was South Korean for “What an asshole”!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If he keeps trying that hard, he'll tear up his prop on the quay, too.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Ship's moored, shift colors." Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Like IntrepidTraveler, I know nothing. Nothing! about this subject. But, perhaps those two tug boats pushed the ship too hard or too fast toward the dock?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10707 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
....But, perhaps those two tug boats pushed the ship too hard or too fast toward the dock?

"Pushing" it with lines attached? Hmmmmmm, let's think about that.

What a cluster.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12424 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
....But, perhaps those two tug boats pushed the ship too hard or too fast toward the dock?

"Pushing" it with lines attached? Hmmmmmm, let's think about that.

So, the momentum we see as the ship gets closer and closer to the dock was created by the ship's motors alone?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10707 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post