SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help with a leaking rubber flat roof
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a leaking rubber flat roof Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
A little backstory: The house I grew up in was owned by my grandfather and half of it has a flat rubber roof. The roof has been the bane of my family's existence since the house was bought. It leaked like crazy when I was a kid up until my grandfather had a new one put on. However it still leaked every so often after that. My grandparents have since passed away along with my mother this past November who was the last person living in that section of the house.

The ceiling in the master bedroom started leaking again shortly before she died and over the past couple weeks it has gotten considerably worse, to the point that I have multiple dehumidifiers and floor fans running but with the roof still actively leaking its a losing battle.

I THINK I have the location of the leak pinned down but it's hard to say. My question is, is there anything I can use on a rubber roof as a temporary fix to prevent it from leaking any further? I've thought about either a liquid rubber roof coating or a self sealing membrane used under asphalt tiles. The house with its age and condition will be sold as a rehabber so I'm not concerned about something either being permanent or pretty as long as it works. Also the temp is rapidly dropping so hopefully there is something that will set up in the colder weather.

Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Temp fix: Five gallon of tar.

Perm:tear it all off and re-do it right

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I used liquid EPDM until I had to reroof after a siding job. Look here: https://www.epdmcoatings.com/

When I reroofed, I used TPO. 5 years in, still holding up well.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Flex Seal ??

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eternabond
https://www.eternabond.com/

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a roofer that told me sooner or later a flat roof will leak. He said if possible put on a regular roof and after it gets 30 years old it will leak also. PS 2020 sucks.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Depending on the roof material, and if this is just a spot or 2 where it is leaking, you might be able to fix this by yourself with a trip to Home Depot. As always, it depends on what the material is and the bonding agent.

A lot of RV's need the roof resealed every so often, and of those a lot of people have had success with Henry's Tropi-Cool Seam And Roof Repair Sealant. This is good stuff, depending on your current roof material. Here's a link: LINK

Another good option is a tube of DICOR, LINK it's used in a lot of RV leak and seal needs. It's readily available in many many places.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
You did not say if the leak you think you found was a puncture, tear, failed seam or other but this is what I used to seal a roof leak on my barn. Has held up well for several years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the stuff on the roll.

It has really worked well at sealing seams and not very good for the edge.

It will depend on what is causing the leak.

Henry makes a good product if you know where the hole is.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post