SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is white paint racist?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is white paint racist? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I'll just leave this here without comment. Big Grin

https://nypost.com/2023/01/20/...ite-paint-is-racist/

Norwegian government funds research to find out if white paint is racist

By Taylor Penley, Fox News
January 20, 2023 3:04pm

Is white paint racist? Norway’s University of Bergen is exploring that question, asking how the aesthetic of white paint helped the nation contribute to white supremacy and helped “[make] the world whiter.”

“Whiteness is not only a cultural and societal condition tied to skin color, privileges, and systematic exclusion, but materialize everywhere around us,” a rundown of the study read.

“Although Norway is not a conventional colonial power, this project will show how the country has played a globally leading role in establishing white as a superior color,” it said. “Until now, however, this story has been lesser known to scholars and the public.”

The study on whiteness and paint, dubbed NorWhite, observes the Norwegian-developed paint pigment titanium white through “historical, aesthetic, and critical” lenses to determine how the development of the color contributed to “social transformation” as well as how the innovation led to “planetary consequences.”

“Currently the Norwegian innovation TiO2 [titanium dioxide] is present in literally every part of modern life … The primary research question is: What are the cultural and aesthetic changes instigated by titanium white and TiO2 surfaces — and how can both the material in itself and these changes be conceptualized and made visible?” the description asks.

The Research Council of Norway, a government agency, is funding the study by University of Bergen associate professor and historian Ingrid Halland through a grant of 12 million Norwegian Krone (about $1.2 million US) to explore the paint color’s historical legacy, its origins in Norway, and features images of several of the nation’s buildings plastered in the color.

“The overall objective of NorWhite is to critically and visually investigate the cultural and aesthetic preconditions of a complex and unexplored part of Norwegian technology and innovation history that has — as this project claims — made the world whiter,” the description concluded.

The study is also sponsored by two of the major companies that contributed to titanium white paint’s prevalence in the country — Titania A/S, which extracts ore for use in titanium-based products, and Kronos Titan, which produces the titanium dioxide pigment.

The study cites that titanium dioxide is a part of everyday life, including in food, paper, tattoos, synthetic textiles, cosmetics and more in addition to altering the country’s architectural aesthetic through a brighter, more opaque color, and research aims to dissect the historical development that “revolutionized the color industry” with an “absolute white” color.

The University of Bergen study is only the latest example of higher education making “whiteness” a focus.

In the United States last year, Los Angeles Public Schools enforced the idea that “merit” and “individualism” were concepts originating from “whiteness” and must be questioned.

Fox News Digital obtained documents from government watchdog group Judicial Watch last year indicating the United States Military Academy at West Point was also among the institutions taking hits at “whiteness” last year with its critical race theory-based curriculum.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When will this stop.... when I say.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
overall objective of NorWhite is to critically and visually investigate

Ummm, I'm just going to hazard an educated guess here that, given the objective of the study, anybody supporting or participating in the study has absolutely zero aptitude for critical thought and investigation. So, this is just set up to fail no matter what. Even if the conclusion is acceptable to the rationale, the conclusion was likely reached as a matter of luck rather than through merit.

I mean, for fuck's sake, have they lost their fucking minds?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I never did trust that shady looking Bher, same with Duron, don't even get me started with that Sherwin Williams. I knew they was up to no good.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll save them a bunch of research and trouble, in today's fucked up world, YES.

Now send me my $1.2 million. Big Grin

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
No, but aspirin is.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I'll save them a bunch of research and trouble, in today's fucked up world, YES.

Probably going to need a coauthor on that for legitimacy. I'll take $500k, you take $700k

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
No, but aspirin is.

Just the drug starting with “as” (ass) used in its “pronoun” is anti prison “LBGQMIOW!THATHURTS#45ACPMFER” community…think of all the TikTok creators being offended…how can you sleep at night? Razz Razz Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Next, toilet paper.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ok weird ass coincidence. I'm listening this YouTube video and at 24 minute mark, boom TiO2. Crazy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

For this to be a hypothesis…you first have to believe the have an inkling of a fucking mind to lose in the first place…just watch some of ‘The View, CNN or MSNBC along with clips from the “legacy media channels” on YouTube…I rest my case…nothing in this fucking “Clown world” surprises me anymore Eek….I’m gonna stick to watching Viking themed YouTube video shorts with chicks doing “Viking” makeup and awesome bass dudes singing ‘My Mother Told Me’ while accompanied by bagpipes…I’ve damned near reached that point…plus they are more entertaining than Nuttinfancy’s fucking lame assed bullshit Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Probably going to need a coauthor on that for legitimacy. I'll take $500k, you take $700k

Wow y’all are chopping in High Cotton…I’m willing to settle for a $10 gift card from Chick-Fill-A for a good lunch sammach Smile…still missing their cole slaw though Frown

Jimmy Buffet

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
By this logic, Norway itself (and the other Scandinavian countries) must also be racist, being what, 99% white? Roll Eyes

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As y’all can see from the time stamp it’s 3:00 AM in Tennessee…who sleeps and what exactly is that…I hate to but I might just have to take an Ambein to crash…if I do I’ll see y’all about noon:30 tomorrow…insomnia sucks out loud Frown Frown Frown

Jimmy Buffet

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
By this logic, Norway itself (and the other Scandinavian countries) must also be racist, being what, 99% white? Roll Eyes

Of course, they probably learned that from The Salvation Army.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
As y’all can see from the time stamp it’s 3:00 AM in Tennessee…who sleeps and what exactly is that…I hate to but I might just have to take an Ambein to crash…if I do I’ll see y’all about noon:30 tomorrow…insomnia sucks out loud Frown Frown Frown

Nah, I welcome insomnia.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
overall objective of NorWhite is to critically and visually investigate

Yes they have and I'm not sure how it'll get worse but it will.
I'm not even shocked anymore at any of this fuckery.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
has anybody ever figure out that 'white' people really aren't 'white'?

I think it's really gotten down to:

"who can I blame for what ever I can come up with to justify my being an asshole"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I don't get an ESG discount if I use a paint of color.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Wow y’all are chopping in High Cotton

He said "high cotton". Big Grin

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post