SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mail delivery slowdown: USPS to slow delivery starting today, October 1
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mail delivery slowdown: USPS to slow delivery starting today, October 1 Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
If I mail a letter to my next door neighbor, it has to leave our post office, travel 120 miles by truck to Wichita, truck it back 120 miles to our post office to be delivered to my neighbor 3 days later, same for a PO BOX they can not cancel the postage and stuff it in the next PO Box. Common sense and USPS are not used in the same sentence.

When I lived in the states my local post office had a special mailbox for "in town" mail. I assume it's to bypass the lack of common sense you're describing.

They did away with those several years ago. Now all mail has to go to regional sorting facilities. Makes no sense.

Ever since the Anthrax attacks in 2001 that killed 5 and sickened 17, all mail must be scanned for Anthrax. This is done at the regional processing centers. Local mail is no longer excepted from these screenings.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
They're not slowing the mail delivery starting today, they're merely documenting the fact that it's too slow and has been for years.

Nothing will change.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
They mentioned utilizing more ground transportation over air transportation. Do they get discounted rates for gas? Are higher gas prices influencing the shift to ground from air? Or is this one of the many shitty impacts of the Biden petro policies?

None of the above.

Even since the advent of the Scaredemic passenger air travel has been greatly reduced. Turns out USPS piggy-backed on passenger air travel.

Five'll get you ten that they're switching as much mail transportation over to railroads as possible.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to work in the mailing and shipping room of a major paper. It printed the Christian Science Monitor for the entire Southeast. The papers were bundled and sorted then tossed into canvas bags to be taken to the rail station. It was not efficient and had room for plenty of mistakes.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I got slammed with a late charge because a bill that I paid arrived sixteen days late.

I dropped the check at my local Post Office, it was going to a business in the same zip code, less than two miles from the Post Office.

I hand carried a replacement check. Once the original one finally arrived and the manager of the business saw the postmark date on the envelope, she credited me back with the late charge and used some words that would make a Navy Chief blush, to describe the USPS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did USPS charge a storage fee?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Five'll get you ten that they're switching as much mail transportation over to railroads as possible.
Hello Mr. Warren Buffett. Chu-CHING!!!

"Five'll get you ten...". Heheheheh...my mom says that all the time. Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I’ll take reasons we need earlier voting for $500 Alex.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
If I mail a letter to my next door neighbor, it has to leave our post office, travel 120 miles by truck to Wichita, truck it back 120 miles to our post office to be delivered to my neighbor 3 days later, same for a PO BOX they can not cancel the postage and stuff it in the next PO Box. Common sense and USPS are not used in the same sentence.

When I lived in the states my local post office had a special mailbox for "in town" mail. I assume it's to bypass the lack of common sense you're describing.

They did away with those several years ago. Now all mail has to go to regional sorting facilities. Makes no sense.

Ever since the Anthrax attacks in 2001 that killed 5 and sickened 17, all mail must be scanned for Anthrax. This is done at the regional processing centers. Local mail is no longer excepted from these screenings.

Hmmm. Never connected the dots on that. I’ve heard they scan/image every piece of mail as well and I’m sure that data is only used for wholesome purposes.

I will say, my local PO has been decent but they have no control over what comes in on the trucks. I’m sure this will help…

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm with the shut it down or privatize it group.

While I rarely get my neighbor's mail, they consistently get mine. I had to buy a PO Box for business payments because the neighbors are often away for long periods and the postman can't match the big numbers on the house to the little numbers on the envelopes. I'm trying to move all my customers to credit payments even though it costs money to process them.

My last dealing with the new postman was hilarious. We get Informed Delivery emails that tell us what's in the mail for that day. One day we got one letter for a similar address (we consistently get mail for someone at OurStreet Point while my address is OurStreet Ave) so I met the postman at the door and told him, "that's not our mail". He looked at it, looked at me, looked at the letter and said "OK" and stuck it in my mailbox. Roll Eyes Before I could unlock the mailbox and retrieve it and give it back to him, he runs off to the next house. I didn't feel like chasing him down so I stuck it outside of the mailbox marked ANK and then I found it in my mailbox again the next day. :shrug:

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post